The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find Halvoline? Me either. I like this stuff just fine.

One sealed 5qt jug of Mobil1 5W-40 oil.

What does this stuff go for? $20?

Doesn't make sense to ship it, so San Diego (Sorrento Valley) only.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Mobil 1 5W-40 in 5 qt jugs used to be available at Wallmart. Then it disappeared for 6 months and some of us switched to 0W-40. 5W-40 reappeared again at Wallmart roughly a year ago in 4 qt jugs. Buy two, use one and the then-empty bottle to measure the final qt from the second jug. Three future changes just require buying one jug of course...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.. you're saying I have sales competition for my fine jug of Mobile 1? Preposterous!

The 5qt serving size is the Original Size. This was before they reformulated it to the new "made from Bananas and Milk" EPA/CARB blend that turns to organic sludge in your LED blinkers.

Don't settle for anything less than the 5qt "Truck & SUV" label!

Now available for $15.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Meh, it just has to do with the weight of the oil and how Mobil labels it.

I hear this stuff works just fine for us.
That doesn't tell me much. 5W40 is the weight and has nothing to do with trucks or SUVs. And I suppose Mobil's marketing department could have simply stuck the Trucks and SUVs label on it without there being anything in the oil to make it specifically for trucks and SUVs.

But, I wonder if there is anything about the oil that makes it more suitable for trucks/SUVs and less suitable for engines designed for cars...or for that matter if in most instances there is any real difference between most truck engines and their car engine relatives. Aren't many engines installed in both cars and trucks? The Dodge Hemi comes to mind.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That doesn't tell me much. 5W40 is the weight and has nothing to do with trucks or SUVs. And I suppose Mobil's marketing department could have simply stuck the Trucks and SUVs label on it without there being anything in the oil to make it specifically for trucks and SUVs.

But, I wonder if there is anything about the oil that makes it more suitable for trucks/SUVs and less suitable for engines designed for cars...or for that matter if in most instances there is any real difference between most truck engines and their car engine relatives. Aren't many engines installed in both cars and trucks? The Dodge Hemi comes to mind.
I believe it's API rating is different (SJ,SL)- it has more ZDDP and other additives than the SM rated oils made for passenger cars. It should actually be better for your engine, at the possible expense of shortened catalytic converter life.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.