The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2.5 years of ownership and 15k miles, I've decided to part ways with the 2010 Evora in exchange for an MP4-12C. I want to thank this community for being super helpful in figuring out the plenty of quirks in the Lotus and I'm convinced I'll be back in one in a few years. For anyone looking for an Evora, mine is being sold at LAC in Scottsdale, AZ and I'd love for her to go to a fellow Lotus enthusiast. For anyone else looking to upgrade, I strongly suggest trying the McLaren which feels and handles like a big Evora with a lot of extra power.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Congrats! I rented an orange MP4-12C. It was a great drive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What's the maintenance cost on one of those versus the Evora?
I had a Maserati Quattroporte a few years ago and the damn maintenance was more than the car was worth. Hence why I stuck with my Exige. I can do just about everything myself at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the maintenance cost on one of those versus the Evora?
I had a Maserati Quattroporte a few years ago and the damn maintenance was more than the car was worth. Hence why I stuck with my Exige. I can do just about everything myself at a reasonable cost.
Big step up in cost all around. The Lotus' annual maintenance ran me a few hundred dollars. I anticipate $1-2k for the McLaren at an indy shop. Insurance rates doubled but that was expected given my profile. So far, the 12C feels more bulletproof than the Lotus but I do anticipate small kinks here and there as I did with the Evora.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
@XHILR8N! has said many times that the Evora and 570S are the two best handling cars he's ever driven.
I also curently own both a 2011 modded NA Evora, and a 2017 McLaren 570S, both bought new by me.
The handling on both is very similar, with the Evora perhaps being a little more nimble due to it's slightly smaller size.
But the 562 HP of the 570S is what makes it what you want the Evora to be.
I posted a comparison in may, 2018; See Post #45 here:
As an update, I now almost exclusively drive my 570S on the "spirited" back road drives. It's just so much faster and fun, with the same handling as the Evora.
For those with interest in the McLaren's, the MP4-12C, 650S, 675S, and 720S all have the hydrolic active suspension; while the 570S has conventional springs, sway bars, and shocks-cockpit adjustable. The result I find is that the 570S feels much more like an Evora's handling, with more feedback to the driver.
However, the MP4-12C, and other hydrolic models, do everything the 570S can do, and perhaps smoother and faster; just a different feel.
The MP4-12C's are a bargain now, for the performance you get.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed. At sub-$100k, these McLaren's are almost too good to pass up. True supercar performance for less than the price of the Evora GT. Reliability is a big concern for many but I chose a later VIN model and so far it feels better put together than my Evora.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My biggest concern with the MP4-12C is definitely reliability and maintenance. From the videos I have watched on the ownership experience they seem to indicate that purchasing the annual extended warranty for $4k-$5k is a must because the engines, transmissions, and electrical systems like to grenade and replacement out of pocket is absurd. This just makes the running cost for the car so much higher than something like an Evora, 911, or Corvette. It would also be annoying to deal with the car being down for extended periods of time. There is a reason they depreciate so quickly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My biggest concern with the MP4-12C is definitely reliability and maintenance. From the videos I have watched on the ownership experience they seem to indicate that purchasing the annual extended warranty for $4k-$5k is a must because the engines, transmissions, and electrical systems like to grenade and replacement out of pocket is absurd. This just makes the running cost for the car so much higher than something like an Evora, 911, or Corvette. It would also be annoying to deal with the car being down for extended periods of time. There is a reason they depreciate so quickly.
As expected with low volume cars, examples are hit or miss in terms of reliability. From my due diligence prior to purchasing, cars with VINs after 1,000 seem to be much more reliable. I purposely chose one with over 10k miles as well to make sure all the kinks have been worked out. As for the warranty, the manufacturer limited warranty is absurd at $6k a year. I went with a third party that provides more coverage for $2k a year. I looked at a Gallardo when shopping as well but all things considered, the McLaren surprisingly ended up being a little more affordable.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see the same thing from many Mclaren owners. I do believe they are fantastic performers but I could not justify $4k to $6k a year in maintenance. No disrespect to the OP as I believe they are a great car to drive. If someone has that type of disposable income then I can see it being a blast. I will see that I am a manual transmission only person so most of the newer super cars are a NO go even if I could afford them.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Agreed. At sub-$100k, these McLaren's are almost too good to pass up. True supercar performance for less than the price of the Evora GT. Reliability is a big concern for many but I chose a later VIN model and so far it feels better put together than my Evora.
This MP4-12C just sold on BAT today, for $108K.
It belonged to a friend of mine, and was very fast and in excellent condition.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ll be interested in pics and reliability info if you stick around and kee us updated
Here are images of the new car! I'd be happy to check-in in a few months to keep those interested on reliability. After the first week of ownership and 500 miles later, my impression is that the McLaren is incredibly versatile as a daily driver and a weekend car. It's incredibly tame in normal mode but can get squirrelly in track mode. No issues in terms of reliability so far. Just wish it didn't sound like a turbo lawnmower!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Looks great! When I rented one I was thinking that it could have used a louder muffler.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Congrats mate. Keen to hear updates. Yeah, unfortunately turbos kill a quality engine sound.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've had my Lotus Elise since 2005 and also just got a 2014 12C. I found one with over 20k miles in the hopes that the first owner has resolved all the major issues. I do not have a warranty, and will fix what I can, and use the McLaren shop not too far away for the rest.

@hdho1 where did you get an aftermarket warranty for that cost?

Comparing the Elise (see my modifications in my signature) to the McLaren, the Elise is definitely more engaging to drive. The steering in the McLaren is lighter than the Lotus, it seems designed for higher speed and high grip feedback. This is my first turbo car, and I now understand what turbo lag is. There is a significant torque difference between 2K and 4K RPM. The Elise is a lot more flat by comparison. The shifting of the McLaren has taken some getting used to. It shifts very quickly if you hold it half way before you pull it all the way. But, if you just randomly pull all the way, it takes a variable amount of time to shift, which is annoying.

But the main advantage of the MP4-12C is the adaptability of purpose. The convertible top goes up and down a lot easier than rolling up the Elise top. The wind and noise is a lot less in the 12C, and I can hold a conversation with my passenger even at like 90 mph with the top down. With all the windows up, it's quite quiet, and is more aurally comfortable for longer trips. The 12C has adaptive dampers that totally eliminate the small imperfections in the road. It does it so thoroughly, that it seems like it's doing nothing. But, the surprise was how harsh it still is over larger bumps and elevation changes in the road. Adjusting the settings basically shifts the crossover point of what's eliminated and what remains. When set to sport, it corners flatter than the Lotus, and when set to Track, it is extremely flat. This is one of the more significant advantages for handling vs the Elise for performance driving. The 12C is noticeably faster at autocross. I've only taken it out twice, and with PS4S tires, not the autocross standard RE-71R's, and it was scary fast. The 600+ HP isn't actually that useful on the autocross tracks that I've been on, but the cornering grip and traction while accelerating certainly makes up for being wider than the Elise.

I think the 570S spider is the sweet spot, but I expected too much depreciation for me right now.

That's all I have time to update this morning though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts