The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into the two to bring my Elise when it comes. I can't tell what the difference is between the two. Do any of you know?

Barry

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hey Barry,
Cal Club - our local SCCA region, does not have a Solo1 program, so you'll need to travel to do that.

Solo1 is held on a regular race track, but it also requires a real race car, and all of the safety equipment associated with that. Roll cage, kill switch, fire bottle, driving suit, etc. Think of it as road racing without the wheel to wheel part.

Solo2, also called autocross, is usually held in a really big parking lot or on an airpiort runway. You drive through a course lined with cones, mostly 2nd gear stuff. Locally we have a lot of events out at Cal Speedway in Fontana, including one this weekend.

For local Solo2 events in LA & OC, go to www.solo2.com

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, looks like I'll be doing Solo 2 then. I can't wait to start. Perhaps I should bring down my WRX wagon to at least get the idea of what to do before the Elise comes in.

Barry

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
BarryB said:
Thanks, looks like I'll be doing Solo 2 then. I can't wait to start. Perhaps I should bring down my WRX wagon to at least get the idea of what to do before the Elise comes in.

Barry
A perfect way to start. I highly recommend ot, plus I think it would be a little easier to show up in a wagon on street tires and learn as a rookie, than someone with the hot new car. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Absolutely, go out and run the wagon! The more practice you get, the better. And at least initially, it doesn't matter much what you drive. The WRX is a very good autocross car. Feel free to ask if you have car specific questions, I should be able to help.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Randy Chase said:
A perfect way to start. I highly recommend ot, plus I think it would be a little easier to show up in a wagon on street tires and learn as a rookie, than someone with the hot new car. Just my 2 cents.
Hey Randy, you must be referring to when I showed up for my first autox in my Supra with rock hard BFG R1s. Rookies are rookies, whether its an Enzo or Yugo. Leave your ego at home or it'll get bruised. My advice to newcomers - don't look at the results, just go out, develop good habits and have fun.

On the subject of Solo1, we have a new SCCA format called TimeTrials in Denver. We use the Second Creek racetrack and have half hour sessions with 10-15 cars on the track together. Passing zones on the straights, transponders for timing. Fastest lap of the session is your time. Qualifying in the morning with 2 hot laps. It's great fun, and well attended.

Jeff

·
Registered
305 Posts
Solo 1

A clarification on Solo 1: You need a roll bar, not a roll cage; a race seat, safety harness and fire extinguisher, but not a kill switch, etc. So you can definitely do it in a street-legal car.

There are two types. Time trials are timed laps on a race track. Hillclimbs are timed runs up a mountain road.

Solo 1 is an absolute blast and I recommend it to anyone who's done track days and autocrosses.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Thanks for the Solo1 clarification Spindoc.
I only ran one about 12-14 years ago, when they still had them here, and it was in an ITA RX-3, so I guess my fuzzy memory was jumping to conclusions... ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get out there in the Wagon and put the fear of bumper into the cones. They're getting pretty restless and need to be put back into their place... but looking at the latest ProSolo in DC, and the amount cones hit, I hear talk of a revolution... and these rumors coming in that some of their compatriots being actually NAILED to the ground in the Mazda Rev It Up series... and they're not happy... at all.

Beware the cones!

--kC
(Tell me you'll be keeping your wagon at least! :D Becuase Wagons are faster) ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Why is it that Solo 1 is not offered in So Cal?

Sounds like a lot of fun

What's the nearest club/region that has it? I have always wanted to try a hillclimb

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I think it has alot to do with the few number of tracks, and the large number of racers.
Track rental is very expensive, bad enough that the Solo1 program couldn't afford to rent the track for the day by themselves. Also, we have large enough crowds at the road race events that we can't give Solo1 their own run-group. This left the Solo1 program without a place to play.
Las Vegas has had a program off and on over the years. I don't know about Arizona or San Francisco.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
I think it has alot to do with the few number of tracks, and the large number of racers.
Track rental is very expensive, bad enough that the Solo1 program couldn't afford to rent the track for the day by themselves. Also, we have large enough crowds at the road race events that we can't give Solo1 their own run-group. This left the Solo1 program without a place to play.
Las Vegas has had a program off and on over the years. I don't know about Arizona or San Francisco.

For anyone interested in sharpening or Learining how to autocross you should contact ROBERT...In the quote... His club is hosting an Evolution Performance Driving school the weekend of July the 10 /11th.....You can take the school on Saturday and run the event on Sunday......Robert can give you all the details....It will be held at California Speedway....

Later
PatS
Evolution

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like I'm joining a local SCCA. I'll need to get a helmet, and would like to get some driving shoes. Can y'all recommend an la/santa monica racing shop? I see a bunch of online stores, but I think it would be better to try stuff on first.

Oh, I got 3 people to join with me too.

Barry

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Most regions have loaner helmets, if you don't mind wearing a helmet that a few hundred people have worn before you. But if you're confident that you'll stick with autocross, buying your own helmet immediately is a good idea.

I wear sneakers for driving. Driving shoes might be more ideal, but I just never felt like the shoes were a limiting factor in my driving. That might well change with the Elise, because I expect the pedals to be much closer than in the WRX. Some people say that wrestling shoes are essentially the same as driving shoes, only that they are sold for much lower prices.

There's nothing wrong with buying these things, I just wanted to point out that people don't need to spend a lot to get started in this sport.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Barry, try Simpson World in Torrance:

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/world_torrance.asp

or any big motorcycle shop.

For SCCA Solo2 you need a Snell-rated helmet. It doesn't matter whether it's M or SA.

For some track day groups you'll need an SA full-face helemt though, so it might be worth stepping up and buying that if you think there's a chance you're headed that direction. If not, you can get away with an open face Snell M (motorcycle) rated helmet.

The big difference is that SA-rated helemts have Nomex fire-resistant lining while the M helmets usually just have nylon lining. You'll also need a full-face helmet for the kart day at Moran on Friday if you were looking for another excuse ;)

I have big feet, and so I have trouble with real race shoes. My size 13 Simpson racing shoes are ok for driving, but pretty tight for walking around the pits in. I have a pair of Pumas that came in size 14 (Nordstroms) that are great for driving and fairly comfortable to walk around in, and I use them whenever I don't need the fire-proof stuff.

Are you coming to the event at Cal Speedway this weekend?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope, this weekend, I'll be in Tahoe for a family reunion. That's why it was so easy for me to go to the WCLM a while ago. I'll be at the next autocross event though.

Barry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts