The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Info- SCCA has a championship event where around 1200 drivers from all around the country enter in various classes. It's a huge event, one of the largest in the country as far as entrants.

At least two of us are looking to bring one Elise to this event. Robert Puertas and I are planning on driving one Elise on Thursday and Friday (September 16-17). Pat Salerno (Elise77) has sent a letter in asking SCCA if he can also drive an Elise AFTER he runs his Z-06 in Super Stock class.

Robert and I have asked SCCA to allow us to run the class in Super Stock, but throw out our times as far as trophies. They do that kind of thing now for staff and media. That would give them all a chance to see how the car does and let us have fun too.

The Nationals are not just about driving. There will support from car companies, tire manufactuers and more. Large semis and many transporters. Some incredible cars. Super Stock itself will be a field of over 50 Z-06 Corvettes...a couple of Elises...we hope. There are also after racing events, dinners, etc.

What I would like to know is, is there anyone else that would be interested in brining an Elise to this event? I know it's a big commitment and for most, a long drive. And if you have not previously run in an SCCA divisional or National Tour, it is not cheap as there is a $$ penalty. And it will NOT be the place to run if you have ZERO autocross or motorsports experience.

Also, if you are not interested in driving, but would be willing to have a skilled driver use your car, let me know. I know that this is a long shot, but even playing the part of car owner could be fun if we get a few Elises here. I already have the name of one National Champion driver that is looking for an Elise ride in Topeka.

Of course, it also means you have to have a car by September. :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Randy Chase said:
That's where the problem lies! :( With the latest delays, the chances of me having my Elise by then are virtually zero. I was going to run the WRX in any case, but there might have been a way to get the Elise to Topeka for somebody else to drive.

I'm running Tuesday/Wednesday, but especially if you guys get to run the Elise, I'll probably stick around to watch on Thursday.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Besides personal interest, I think it would be great if Pat could run the Z06 and Elise, it would give the SCCA some great data for a fair classing decision.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Not just have the car, but have the car "run-in" by then...

Tim Mullen

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Solo2 Nationals, Topeka Kansas

TimMullen said:
Not just have the car, but have the car "run-in" by then...

Tim Mullen
Trust me... that point was made to Lotus when they told me my car would be here, sometime in August.

Would be nice to get a practice day in also before Nationals.

And to see if Hoosiers fit/work. Pressures?

And to get graphics made up. I guess my magnets will have a problem. :)

And to arrange transport, flights, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Damn! Too bad I'm running Tues-Wed or I'd love to be there for this!

Grrrrr *sigh* Grrrrr

Would love to see what this car can do out on the Nationals Courses. I'd even consider showing up for the practice courses early if I *cough* could get a run *cough* :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Randy (and all),

Just so you know, we are holding a DE event at Heartland Park, Topeka the weekend before. See the Calendar at:
http://www.kcrpca.org/events.asp?month=9&year=2004

The event is Sept 10-12th. The following weekend we have the Kansas Speedway charity event in KC (Sept 18th) that I'm still trying to line up an Elise for.

Let me know if you need more info about either event or want to participate.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That sounds great Randy. Please let me know if there is a car available for me to co-drive. I would certainly pay whatever the owner would like to cover his costs of whatever:)

I've been to many many large events but never made the long trek to Topeka because I don't have a trailer. Experiencing Topeka for the first time using an Elise would be an incredible experience for sure! :clap:

·
purveyor of lightness
4,064 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Info- SCCA has a championship event where around 1200 drivers from all around the country enter in various classes. It's a huge event, one of the largest in the country as far as entrants.

At least two of us are looking to bring one Elise to this event. Robert Puertas and I are planning on driving one Elise on Thursday and Friday (September 16-17). Pat Salerno (Elise77) has sent a letter in asking SCCA if he can also drive an Elise AFTER he runs his Z-06 in Super Stock class.
Randy, I'm all over that event every year - we'll have to meet up.

Pat Salerno is one of the nicest guys on the planet - and he was my (2nd) favorite Evolution instructor back in 2000 (Jean Kinser still rocked my world ;)...

It's only a 45 minute drive for me.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
z06fun said:
That sounds great Randy. Please let me know if there is a car available for me to co-drive. I would certainly pay whatever the owner would like to cover his costs of whatever:)
I need $39,985.00.

:)

Nationals is awesome. It is huge.

DarkSol.. cool. I will be there all week with a booth (with Robert Puertas). Looks like I will be registered as a Lotus Z-06. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, I can afford the LSS and Touring! It's the base car that is causing me some problem. :)

Looks like the car will be close to $48k out the door. Or $48k out of my wallet. ack...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Later Apex said:
Randy (and all),

Just so you know, we are holding a DE event at Heartland Park, Topeka the weekend before. See the Calendar at:
http://www.kcrpca.org/events.asp?month=9&year=2004

The event is Sept 10-12th. The following weekend we have the Kansas Speedway charity event in KC (Sept 18th) that I'm still trying to line up an Elise for.

Let me know if you need more info about either event or want to participate.
An Update on this:

1) Sign-up forms are available for the DE event on the Sept 10-12th weekend: Click Here for the Forms

2) I have secured (2) spots for Lotus Cars at the BBBS event at the Kansas Speedway. I *might* be able to get 1 more spot if lucky. If you want to attend this event you need to email me to get on the list: Click Here to Email Me

So who is coming??? Randy? Babak? DarkSol? Feffman?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Solo2 Nationals, Topeka Kansas

Randy Chase said:
Trust me... that point was made to Lotus when they told me my car would be here, sometime in August.

Would be nice to get a practice day in also before Nationals.

And to see if Hoosiers fit/work. Pressures?

And to get graphics made up. I guess my magnets will have a problem. :)

And to arrange transport, flights, etc.
Randy,

I wish both you and Robert the best of luck in a last minute effort to even show up to an event like that with a brand new car and hardly any track test time in it!!!! Sounds crazy to me, but good luck.

I personally like to show up to my races prepared otherwise I don't bother. It cost way to much $$. I'll save it for another weekend when both myself and my race car are good and ready.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Thanks Mitch!

Randy and I agree that it would be nice to have a little seat time before a big event like this. Unfortunately, the National Championships isn't just any race, and it only happens once a year. We just happen to have rotten timing as far as getting a car...
Regardless, it's more important to us to be there and represent Lotus and Elisetalk, not to mention ChaseCam & Blackwatch Racing ;)

Hopefully, everyone will benefit from our terrible sacrifice :D

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, we can't lose.

See.. if we suck "well, we didn't have time to prep the car or even get used to it." If we do well "Holy crap, awesome driving in a new car!"

:)

It will be fun regardless of how well the car ends up doing. No pressures, because there are no expectations. It's an unknown at this point.

We can concentrate on business, promotion, hanging out with friends, lap dances and bar-b-que.

z06fun... I might have a ride for you. Stay tuned.

Ken, thanks for the links. I was planning on already doing something on Saturday/Sunday... would it be possible to just sign up and run on Friday? It seemed from the info that this was an option for experienced racers.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Randy Chase said:
lap dances
Well, I guess I won't get the birthday dance this time. :p Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

I really hope that you guys get to drive the Elise. It's kind of like a chicken and egg thing: They won't class it until they get some good data, and they won't get much data until they class it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts