The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from vacation , Battery dead and cant open doors , heard about front access panel but dont know where exactly it is and how to open it and are there battey posts in there to charge to open the door or that is only in the old models ?TADTS

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
I had a similar issue with my car and did not have access to any tools to open the access panel. I was able to get into the car using this video.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Elise 2011 Battery Dead Cant open doors

The 2011 doesn't have a lock on the boot. Instead there is a lever inside the cabin to unlock the boot only.

However, even if the battery is dead you can still gain access to the car cabin by unlocking the door manually using the key and then open the boot using the lever ( the lever is not an electric one, just a manual cable that goes to the boot lock).

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Remove undertray, (from underneath) Connect neg lead to engine, connect positive to the heavy lead going to the starter (hard to reach).
Or...
From the front fuse panel, find the connection from the battery which does not go through the key switch, use that as your positive connetion to trickle charge the battery. Use frame as neg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A 4mm size allen wrench will remove the screw that holds the front valence on. It is located in the center, under the valence next to the wiper blade post. The corners just pop off and after you loosen the screw you work the section towards the windshield and remove. There are two posts for jump starting under there. On my Elise I put a pig tail that I can get to without removing the cover. When I know I won't be driving it awhile I plug this pig tail into a battery tender.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
A 4mm size allen wrench will remove the screw that holds the front valence on. It is located in the center, under the valence next to the wiper blade post. The corners just pop off and after you loosen the screw you work the section towards the windshield and remove. There are two posts for jump starting under there. On my Elise I put a pig tail that I can get to without removing the cover. When I know I won't be driving it awhile I plug this pig tail into a battery tender.
Yes - a 2011 Elise has this feature, just like some Exiges.

Glen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perfect Discription

Thanks mjmangus ; you and Max saved the day.

Cheers
Fouad

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just went through this a few months ago when my Lotus went flat after two weeks of non use (I was away on business and normally don't trickle charge until winter storage)...Anyway.

I've owned the car since new and in all this time I have never run across this issue!

So yes, one cannot access the interior if the car was armed prior with the locks set in the slot vertical (I think) position.

The alarm has it's own separate power source so naturally the system will go off when you open the rear compartment. I believe the front access panels are the same condition but I didn't try it.

Now the alarm blathers on for 4 or 5 cycles (annoying to say the least) until it cycles off. By that time I had moved the coolant overflow bottle and right below it is the fuel cut off switch mounted on the chassis sub-frame. Below the switch is a three wired connector and the orange center one was the one you jump with positive power. So with a piece of heavy gauge wire I just simply tapped power from the (now charged battery). Viola! Instant unlock of the solenoids!

Now of course the question is "Now that the battery is charged why not just unlock the car?" Simple... by this time the key fob has scrambled and the code has to be reset! I figured this out when I thought at first the battery perhaps died on the fob (even though it was replaced 2 years ago....So I was skeptical but it was inexpensive so why not...) well since the aux battery drained as well (alarm) the code went out.

Once inside, you go through the reset procedure for the fob and I also set my locks to unlock (horizontal I think) so I can manually unlock the doors just in case this happens again!

Hope this helps anyone in this position!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Samething on my Exige 2007. By chance I had that JUMP wire to boost it because would have been stock outside... with a dead battery... I really look dump with my Lotus... :) Thanks for this post!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts