The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my GPS data logger to come up with some numbers for how long it takes to go from 50 to 70 MPH. The road was fairly flat but did have gradual up and down slopes...I am just trying to get a sense of the change you get from each gear choice so this is still relevant and real world. The flatness of the road would tend to affect the higher gears more than the lower ones. This is an easy test to do stealthily on the highway since the test occurs at common speeds. BTW my speedo reads about 70 at a true 65 or so.

6th: 8.16 seconds (no high cam)

5th: 6.7 (no high cam)

4th: 4.36 (no high cam)

3rd: 3.64 (partial high cam, last few MPH)

2nd/3rd 3.14 (all high cam, except during shift)

The last effort included a roughly 1/2 second 2-3 shift at 66.5 MPH. While in between gears, the car continued to travel forward about 40-50 feet until acceleration recommenced. It can sometimes be a bit hard to quickly catch 3rd gear from 2nd, sometimes I hold the lever *below* the shift knob and this seems to help a bit.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some folks have mentioned that they don't want to downshift from 6th for fast passes on others. If you think about it, you can see that you'd need a great deal more power to be able to do this compared to simply dropping down a gear or three.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts