The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just some quickies I recorded using my notebook and a lapel mic. The file names roughly describe what was recorded. Some comments....the drive-by doesn't last long - cuz I'm out of range pretty fast...that was first gear. On 1-2-6 you can hear some WOT in 1st and 2nd and then a skip shift directly into 6th so you can hear a quiet cruise. The Elise is torquey enough that you can shift 1-3-5 when you are loafing about. Nice burble at start up or when you lift. I can try to make better files but these may be enough to get a sense of things. Some of the rattling you hear is the shift linkage and pedals - they are not that loud in real life, maybe my mic postion was crummy. Thanks for the space and the help Randy!!

Stage 2 Exhaust Sounds...

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>>>Seems like the recordings were a bit muffled. Exhaust sounds a bit too ricey for my taste. PS - that was some lazy shifting on the 1-2-6 <<<

Somehow the lapel mic is not really cutting it...maybe it's tuned for voice purposes or something? The exhaust does not sound ricey at all in real life. Very deep sounding like a Borla or Magnaflow or B&B Triflo exhaust for those familiar with such options on BMWs.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Stan thanks for the clips. I will be in the Danbury area tomorrow - I will be listening for your car:D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>>>Stan thanks for the clips. I will be in the Danbury area tomorrow - I will be listening for your car<<<

Geez drop me a PM if ya wanna take a peek and hear it for yourself!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
thanks, Stan. Sounds pretty good. The driveby clip is pretty damn loud! It's hard to tell but I don't think it has a rice tone to it at all. I'm guessing the muffling is from overloading the mic. You can try reducing the recording level, the recording will be low but that's what amplifiers are for. ;)

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I wouldn't really call it ricey from my personal experience, but unfortunately I missed most of it on my video recording from the auto-x. Only snagged one blip of the throttle.

It's like the stock exhaust, but deeper and louder.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
>>>thanks, Stan. Sounds pretty good. The driveby clip is pretty damn loud! It's hard to tell but I don't think it has a rice tone to it at all. I'm guessing the muffling is from overloading the mic. You can try reducing the recording level, the recording will be low but that's what amplifiers are for.<<<

Good points...I used the Windows sound recorder and a lapel microphone that was lying around. I can check the levels via the windows mixer...and I can also try using the mic built into my Radio Shack sound level meter - that one is much higher quality.

Another factor is that for the in-car segments, the top and windows were open. Once you are up high in 2nd gear the wind noise gets pretty loud.

Everyone who has heard the exhaust has liked the sound and tend to make unsolicted comments on it. Those that have put aftermarket exhausts on their cars and enjoyed the result would tend to like the S2 IMO. It would also tend to increase your noticeability to other cars...just like you can often hear motorcycles near you on the road...this can help with the they-can't-see-you-in-the-Elise issue.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Shay,

I think you're right. It might be mic overload in the first clip. I didn't think about that before! Guess I'll have to hear it in person. ;)

·
Registered
601 Posts
How much is the stage 2 exhaust installed?

Is stage 3 being offered for cars yet? Is that much more?

Thanks, my car will be here within 10 days and I'm decided what do as far as exhaust options go.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for taking the time of making these audio clips. I really liked the sound of the exhaust, is this legal to have the stage 2 exhaust on a street car in Cali ?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Stan said:
>>>thanks, Stan. Sounds pretty good. The driveby clip is pretty damn loud! It's hard to tell but I don't think it has a rice tone to it at all. I'm guessing the muffling is from overloading the mic. You can try reducing the recording level, the recording will be low but that's what amplifiers are for.<<<

Good points...I used the Windows sound recorder and a lapel microphone that was lying around. I can check the levels via the windows mixer...and I can also try using the mic built into my Radio Shack sound level meter - that one is much higher quality.

Another factor is that for the in-car segments, the top and windows were open. Once you are up high in 2nd gear the wind noise gets pretty loud.

Everyone who has heard the exhaust has liked the sound and tend to make unsolicted comments on it. Those that have put aftermarket exhausts on their cars and enjoyed the result would tend to like the S2 IMO. It would also tend to increase your noticeability to other cars...just like you can often hear motorcycles near you on the road...this can help with the they-can't-see-you-in-the-Elise issue.
I know the wind noise is pretty great. I wonder if there is some location you could place the mic to minimize the sound of the wind. Maybe where the "glove box" would be? Where did you place the mic when you recorded the files?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
>>>I know the wind noise is pretty great. I wonder if there is some location you could place the mic to minimize the sound of the wind. Maybe where the "glove box" would be? Where did you place the mic when you recorded the files?<<<

I used a clip-on lapel type mic clipped onto...my lapel. Top was off and windows were down. With the top on and windows closed or mostly closed the wind noise would be lower. Maybe I'll try some more, and with a better mic. Besides the musical sound, I like having a slightly louder exhaust on a car like this because it helps other cars know that you're there. I mean the car is so high profile anyway it's not like it would affect your ticket odds or something. The stock exhaust is really quite quiet and is pretty much inaudible many times with the windows or roof open. Not that the Elise is a quiet car...it's kind like which sounds overwhelm which other sounds at which times.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts