The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wonder if we drove it backworks would be the same?

1800 lbs car

Lighter is better

Driving this sub-1,800 pound 180-horsepower car is a real eye-awakening experience after driving the same course with a much heavier modern car.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU JUST SAVED A TON OF MONEY ON YOUR AUTO INSURANCE.:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Beck spyder is an interesting proposition... Very attractive, classic lines, insane power to weight ratio, and all of the handling prowess of a nearly 60 year old design... ;-)

I remember a review from years ago (I don't even remember which magazine) in which they tested a "standard" Beck Spyder against one with a CB special motor. The standard one was fast, and the articulate response from the driver of the hot one was something like - "Scary as hell, man!" (whimpering)

Where a prime advantage of the Elise is raw handling capability, the 550 Spyder does not really share that advantage, and while the Beck Spyder has been slightly improved (including more modern tire design, etc.) it's a real stretch to compare it to an Elise! Talk to anyone who has driven a 550 fast in the twisties, and they'll tell you some hair raising stories of how the car (mis)behaves at the limit. Great eye candy, classic ride, but not really a driver's car! We have been very spoiled by the steady progress of modern automotive technology...

Still, if somebody gave me a Beck Spyder for my birthday, I'd probably keep it! :D

-Knute

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Looks like one of those cars on the kiddie rides at carnivals...:)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
transio said:
The Orca C 113 - 1500 lbs & 650 hp !!!

Looks like the abominal offspring of a Vector and a Raptor to me.

Is there a Fiero under that:) That is not nice to look at

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
adamant,
You know seeing your sig line, 13 weeks doesn't sound nearly as long as 3 months and a bit.:D

Chris
LOL . It is something I can look forward to, counting it down each week :D

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
This is what I'd been saving for with a general disdain for any production cars on the market until the elise became an option.

Still saving... funny how all my dream cars seem to be british.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Of course, if an Elise is a stretch financially for people, a lot of the above cars are out of reach too. :) To add to the out of reach list, the other car I drool about (also British...interesting theme we've got going) is the Noble M12 GTO which is now available in the US at http://www.1gracing.com/ . The website doesn't have prices listed, but I have read somewhere you can fit it out for about $70K.

Nochmal
00 Liquid Silver MR2 Spyder

1 - 15 of 15 Posts