The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was tuning a bone stock Exige S this weekend (except for the muffler of course).

Car is with stock fuel pump, stock injectors, stock IC. It's not built for track duty,but rather a fun street car...

We first base-lined the factory tune and condition : Blue Line

Then flashed our KF270 tune: Black Line

Then, for a little extra, while it was on the dyno we installed a 3" pulley and retuned accordingly: the orange line.

Not too interested in AFR data on the stock file (we all know it's way lean), so didn't log AFRs for those pulls...

Cheers,

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would have guessed that it would gone a little lean with the smaller pulley. Am I reading the graph wrong?

Vince

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Tune and AFR

Whoever did the tune enriched the mixture for higher boost. So , smaller pulley -> higher boost -> enrichmont -> lower AFR reading. This is very nice, as it should be.

I assume the fuel curve is controlled by the ECU alone i.e. there are no band-aid rising-rate fuel pressure regulators or anything else. A stock fuel system, as stated.

If the ECU did not have the map beyond the boost achieved withe the larger pulley, then we would expect it to loose control of the AFR and lean out. But it appears that it does.

Anton

I would have guessed that it would gone a little lean with the smaller pulley. Am I reading the graph wrong?

Vince

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Torque curve looks pretty good, cam changeover seems also pretty good, definitely better in the kf tunes.

However it seems crazy to me how lean these things are run.... Especially in the midrange on the low cam. Wow!

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DSM and ageshelin
:up:

Couple points of clarification...

I put this together in part so folks could see what a 3" pulley is worth on a STOCK Exige (again, short of the muffler) in addition to see what the KF270 tune looks like when compared to the stock pull. I realize a lot of folks won't be doing immediate before and after tests like this, so hopefully it's helpful.

We did the flashing/tuning right here in my shop. The car never left the dyno.

We retuned for the smaller pulley.

There's nothing "custom" about these tunes really. We have several folks running the 3" tune as well as the standard KF270 tune... Some folks have ICs, headers, etc and we tweak as needed, but these dynos show what most have, ie all stock short of the muffler...

Another point of interest is that the car has over 60,000 miles-eek-:cool:

Cheers,

Phil

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW- The path to 300 +/-...

You really need a few things to make it work...

1) 3 chamber shroud from RLS. IC is optional (it cetainly helps!), but the airflow is not. GOTTA have more airfolw to the IC.

2) Surge tank (ours comes with a 255 pump and regulator) or intank 255/190 pump

3) decat or proven HP cat and headers headers. The BWR headers and the *newer* redesigned tubular headers seem good.

4) 3" pulley (RLS in my case)

5) good airfilter. Stock arbox is fine.

In the car above, it was restricted by the stock exhaust largely. I elected to simulate decent airflow though the IC with a fan (read: not a lot, but what might be there at speed with a 3 chamber shroud). If you don't have a good way to feed air to the IC, you'll have the power for a short while, but as the IATs get up there, the power will get pulled back... Fettling the air inlet is only of a minor benefit... need much more air than that.

Hope that helps!

Phil

·
Registered
548 Posts
Nice Phil! I would love to see a difference in power with the de-cat, since that's how my car is going to be tuned.... AND with all the parts that you recommended for maximum output without having to go crazy with the engine.

Maybe I'll drive up to Kansas City? ;) It would be good for you to add more dyno data for future reference and show other future customers what your tune can do!

Question: These are dyno to the wheels or at the crank?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Definitely drive to KC. I bet the graphs are all wheel horse power. I get 292 whp at 8k rpm in my Elise w/ an ic supercharger during my visit. 335hp estimated at the flywheel. KC is a nice town too. Windy though.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you for your post on what it would take to hit 300HP. I was thinking about getting the Kold-Fire tuning cable until I read in their FAQ that I wouldn't be able to tune the car myself. So for now I am still reading the forums to see what every one else is doing.

Thanks
Vince

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thank you for your post on what it would take to hit 300HP. I was thinking about getting the Kold-Fire tuning cable until I read in their FAQ that I wouldn't be able to tune the car myself. So for now I am still reading the forums to see what every one else is doing.

Thanks
Vince
There are no tune it yourself options for the stock ecu.

If you want to self tune you will need to buy one of the standalone options. If you need emissions compliance the standalone would need to be swapped out (likely along with other parts) everytime you need to pass an OBDII test.

·
Registered
913 Posts
So going to get this tune once I have all the components.

Phil, is it as simple as giving you the car model & a run down of the parts being bolted on for you to make the according tune?

For the remote customers, how does it work when you send the ECU, customer installs & the car needs to be further fine tuned? ie install all parts, take it to local dyno & provide you with the data?

·
Super Moderator
6,572 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Executive Summary: The tune will improve the power throughout the RPM range, cure a rough start up idle, and cure idle problems in the rain. It feels like we traded for a new Exige.

Vehicle: 2007 Exige S ~60,000 miles

We recently had Phil @ BOE Fabrication install a new pulley (3.0) and KoldFire 270 tune and the results have been fantastic. This tune added significant amounts of horsepower and torque throughout the range and very much improved the low rpm street performance. We couldn't ask for anything more from such a simple upgrade.

Torque & Horsepower:

The KoldFire 270 added significant power thoughout the entire RPM range, which is easily seen in the dyno chart below:

Keep in mind that our car has over 60,000 miles on it, with no repairs other than fluid changes, so it is reasonable to think that it is down in power compared to a lower mileage Exige S. We were putting down 212 HP & 158lb/ft of torque at the wheels before the flash. The Koldfire 270 added roughly 50 HP & 20 lb/ft at the wheels! That is a ~20% increase in power from a simple tune.

More importantly, however, the Koldfire 270 smoothed out the dips in our powerband. If you look closely at the graph, the lb/ft at 7000 RPM went from 110 before the tune to 170 lb/ft after the tune - an improvement of 60 lb/ft or ~40% more torque at 7000 RPM. The HP increases at 7000 RPM were similarly impressive.

Idle:
Our Exige idled poorly at times, especially when it was wet out. When cold, it would threaten to stall at traffic lights and would stumble at low RPMs when cold. The Koldfire tune completely solved this problem.

The rough idle is gone as is the cold low RPM stumbling. The car also exhibits none of the earlier problems in wet weather. The improvements have very much improved the everyday drivability and enjoyability of our Exige.

Responsiveness:
The Koldfire 270 improved the throttle response noticeably. The power seems to come on much quicker and at much lower RPMs than before. This makes the car much more enjoyable on the street and when you're getting on the throttle. The improvement in throttle response may be due to the pulley as well as the tune.

Conclusion:
The Koldfire 270 offers an amazing performance improvement to the Exige S. I highly recommend it regardless of what your car's primary use it. This would be a good buy at 3 times the price - it is really a no brainer at this price.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thanks for the review. Perhaps I missed it but you posted a graph with 3 dyno pulls, one was stock (212hp) one with the 270 tune/pulley (256.9hp), but what is the other one? Tune with no pulley? Or was the 256.9hp and 250.9hp run with the same setup (back to back runs)?

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick clarification:

253whp pull is stock pulley and the 261whp pull is with a 3.0" pulley.

This is a street car and did not require a fuel pump replacement with the stock IC.

So, these runs will be for that initial couple "street runs" and then things would start to get hot. For a track car, you need the RLS IC and some additional ducting to the IC, along with a fuel pump to keep the power going strong if you're going to think about running the 3.0" pulley tune...

Hope that helps!

Phil

·
Registered
571 Posts
Impressive indeed! So with the 3in pulley, you still flash in a slight variation to the 270 tune, or is it identical to the unpullied version?

Say you threw in a Cup airbox and the RLS intercooler, with a surge/pump for good measure... would it make any more power with the 270 tune, simply be more efficient, or have the potential to make more power with a fettled tune?

·
Registered
913 Posts
What Im curious about is with a similar setup (more importantly **):

Larger 550cc Injectors**
RLS 2.9 Pulley**
RLS IC + 3-Way Shroud + Fettled Scoop
ITG filter or ITG box if Phil provides
FST From BOE/Radium
2Bular Race Cat 100 cel
2Bular Newer Header
2bular 8x22 GT3 Exhaust

+ KF Tune - what range to expect in HP/TQ?

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
What Im curious about is with a similar setup (more importantly **):

Larger 550cc Injectors**
RLS 2.9 Pulley**
RLS IC + 3-Way Shroud + Fettled Scoop
ITG filter or ITG box if Phil provides
FST From BOE/Radium
2Bular Race Cat 100 cel
2Bular Newer Header
2bular 8x22 GT3 Exhaust

+ KF Tune - what range to expect in HP/TQ?
this would be at least 300whp & 200wtq

1 - 20 of 30 Posts