The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today 1 GBP = 1.803 USD
1/1/04 1 GBP = 1.7902
4/1/04 1 GBP = 1.4407 (roughly when I put my deposit down and list was $38500)

An increase of 0.7%, year to date.
An increase of 25% from the date of my deposit.

The car increased ~1k today = 2.5% in cost.
The MSRP has increased $2500 since 4/02 = 6.5%

Thus, the increase is more than compensating for changes this year. It includes some of the increase that SHOULD have been done back in January. HOwever, as you can see, price of the car is not nearly keeping with the GBP since '02. And they are about 19% behind the exchange rate increases.

Further quoting Randy from another thread:
"Financial calculations were done to make sure there was enough profit margin for the dealers, for LCU, and for the factory at $38,500. Yet.. the profit margin on the car was reduced by around $6-7k because of the value of the dollar. That comes out of the margins. Some of that was recouped at $39,985. Some of that is made up for in the options and paint. "

If the profit was reduced $6k per car, and some recouped by an increase to $40k in 1/1/04 (profit now reduced only $4500). Add today's change, and profit is now only reduced $ 3500 from original plans. Factor in paint and options that originally were included, now they're only down about $2500-$3000 per car. At 2000 cars a year, $6,000,000 less profit is received.

Now the original quote of $6-7k is not total profit, merely that the profit margin was reduced by that much. So after these price increases, their original planned profit margin when the Lotus was originally planned to come to the states (or before) is only down $3k per car even after all the dollar fluctuations.

So lotus is making $3k/car less than they planned. Yet still at least $3k profit per car. Where am I going with this, I don't really know. All I know is that they are still making money, not as much as they originally intended.

I just wanted to throw some numbers out there for discussion.

I'm tapped out financially, this is really a hard decision how to proceed. I was at my limit when I put my deposit down at $38500. My investments haven't increased, nor has my salary to compensate for the cost of living increase, yet the car is up 6%. I'll dig and find it somewhere, yet it won't make me (and especially not the wife) happy.

Robert

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did any other imported cars increase 6% by the same period? or they reduce the prices by giving out incentive???

We should not make this poll or any price increase discussion in the past, Lotus saw the poll and think they have room to increase.

POLL- Is the MSRP was increased?
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3502

There were many people who would receive their cars this year, agreed that no problem to increase price next year, now they are crying :no:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just bought a set of motion picture camera lenses made by Cooke optics in the UK. From the time I was quoted a price (January '04) to the time I actually purchased, the price went up $10,000!!! It's all because of th exchange rate. It's the price we all must pay for British engineering (they truly are brilliant, except for Lucas Electrics, of course!)

I love to blame George W. for everything, so I'd say that it's his fault. It's just so easy! :D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
MSRP is always at time of delivery...before that time it's a projection. So there has been two MSRPs...the just under 40 and the just under 41. They are 2.x % apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts