The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not knowing much about mufflers and reading about a few custom set ups, I have a few thoughts/questions about why - what to do / and not do.

Yjack on his set up used a Magnaflow 4x9x18 part # 11266 on his. Why, and how would one know how this would work (sound like, and potential volume level)?

I was thinking why not get say a round maybe 5in diameter x 14in long part #12866 (Magnaflow) and put a 90 on the end of it and be done?
What would this above set up sound like?
What would be the difference in going longer say 5in x 16in?
What would be the difference in using a 4in diameter?
This would sure be a cheap way to go, and so there must be a reason this isn’t done.
With the Magnaflow catalog as reference, are the oval mufflers better for some reason? The few custom set up I’ve seen have all been ovals.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I can tell you that the smaller diameter you get the louder and probably higher pitch you will end up with. The Magnaflow muffler sounds really really good on our cars by the way. I just put a MagnaFlow 14256 on my car recently and love it's new growl. Check out this thread for a few more details and ideas on the magnaflow: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f154/new-exhaust-67454/

·
Registered
116 Posts
4x9x18 is probably the biggest Magnaflow you can fit into our car, and that's why I use it. The larger the muffler, the quieter the sound. Oval muffler usually has a lot more volume than round. And its easier to fit oval muffler if you want diffuser exist. The problem with our car is that there isn't really much space for muffler and pipe, and without big muffler and enough pipes the car can be very very loud, that's why most of the side exist exhausts are extremely loud. I even chose the muffler with offset exist because the gas will travel longer inside the muffler. Since Magnaflow is straight through anyway, big muffler is not really going to impact performance other than add some extra weight, but it will be lighter than OEM no matter what.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i know this isnt going to sound like a muscle car, but what is the best exhaust to get a little bit of that growl back and that will fit just like the stock. bolt on and go kind of thing. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
i know this isnt going to sound like a muscle car, but what is the best exhaust to get a little bit of that growl back and that will fit just like the stock. bolt on and go kind of thing. Thanks
Top Speed Pro 1 probably.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
i am a fan of the 2bular sound. not raspy, great deep tone, i got one thats "too loud" but i really do love it! even a loud 2bular has a pleasent sound - not an anoying "sportbike" pitch like a lot of the aftermarket exhausts have. the 2bular does not sound loud for the sake of loud, it sounds like the way a very focused sports car should. you can buy most any size / sound level you want. (i have... i think it is? a 4.75 through the diffuser)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts