The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got some newbie questions that I had no luck fining an answer by using the search feature.

Question 1.
I am having a heck of a hard time doing heel-toe with my car due to it being a 2007, so the accelerator pedal is "way" lower than the brake and I just simply cannot reach it. So I did the getto mod of zip-ting some robber pieces that I have sitting around my house to extend on the height. But even with that "temporary" mod, I find out that 1/2 of my problem is due to the accelerator pedal being too short.

I know that some people have replaced the post 06 model accelerator pedal with Razo Competition Ti pedal. But does it fit only the high? or does it fix length problem as well?

Question 2.
I am still in the break-in period, so I am pretty easy on the car. I found the 5-6 shift being a little challenging. The engine RPM drops so fast and the gear ratio between the 2 gears are so close, that it does not go in that smoothly. I did the calculation, if i shift from 5th gear at 4k, then I should be around 3.5K in 6th gear. But by the time that I clutch in and moved the shifter from 5 to 6, my RPM is around 3K.

So my question is.... any tips on how to handle this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Question 2.
I am still in the break-in period, so I am pretty easy on the car. I found the 5-6 shift being a little challenging. The engine RPM drops so fast and the gear ratio between the 2 gears are so close, that it does not go in that smoothly. I did the calculation, if i shift from 5th gear at 4k, then I should be around 3.5K in 6th gear. But by the time that I clutch in and moved the shifter from 5 to 6, my RPM is around 3K.

So my question is.... any tips on how to handle this?

Thanks in advance!
not sure I totally understand what the issue is here but try not entirely lifting your foot off the gas.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure I totally understand what the issue is here but try not entirely lifting your foot off the gas.
I was taught to be off on accelerator during shifts. I will try to tap on it just a bit between shifts.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I was taught to be off on accelerator during shifts. I will try to tap on it just a bit between shifts.
you dont need to shift without lifting, but enought gas to keep it from falling below the RPM you want. its certainly not gonna hurt anything

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
You can shift later at a higher rpm. The most conservative method of break in that I was informed of had rpms to 5000 for the 1st 500 miles, then progressing beyond that after 500mi.

It's a little strange that your pedal set up is that way IMO. I've driven several '05s and have had trouble with H-T downshifts in a few of them because of pedal set up. I have driven two '06s and had no trouble as the new pedals were set up very well. My '07 pedals are perfectly set up for HT.

With which part of your foot are you trying to hit the accel. pedal?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
question1: no need to heel toe unless you are diving down a corner pressing the brakes hard then you will be able to reach the gas pedal for a heel toe move, other than that regular rev matching should suffice for slow speed turning

question2: bare with it til after the 1000mile period then shift at a higher RPM, personally i have no problems up shifting at any rpms

ive driven stick shift all my life and every car is different and it may take some time to get used to

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have an 06 and the pedals are perfect for h/t on the track - ie., when braking hard the brake pedal is at the perfect height to blip the accelerator with the outside of the foot. Can't really h/t on the streets because I'm not braking hard enough.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can shift later at a higher rpm. The most conservative method of break in that I was informed of had rpms to 5000 for the 1st 500 miles, then progressing beyond that after 500mi.

It's a little strange that your pedal set up is that way IMO. I've driven several '05s and have had trouble with H-T downshifts in a few of them because of pedal set up. I have driven two '06s and had no trouble as the new pedals were set up very well. My '07 pedals are perfectly set up for HT.

With which part of your foot are you trying to hit the accel. pedal?
I am hitting the gas with my heel, so it is a bit difficult.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an 06 and the pedals are perfect for h/t on the track - ie., when braking hard the brake pedal is at the perfect height to blip the accelerator with the outside of the foot. Can't really h/t on the streets because I'm not braking hard enough.
okay, so that is the same problem I am having. I am/will be driving my car mostly for street, and heel/toe is a bit difficult in that situation.

So anyone got any input on aftermarket pedal?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
"Heel-toe" is a misnomer, at least for this car. I just use both sides of my right foot and have no issues. So maybe it is "toe-toe" technique you're suppose to work on. :shrug:

If your feet are narrow, wear different shoes.

·
Registered
891 Posts
"Heel-toe" is a misnomer, at least for this car. I just use both sides of my right foot and have no issues. So maybe it is "toe-toe" technique you're suppose to work on. :shrug:

If your feet are narrow, wear different shoes.
+1. I use the sides of my foot and roll my ankle left to right.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I remember trying to learn to H-T downshift. I thought I could ride a unicycle with one leg easier, then all of a sudden it clicked.

I don't find it difficult to H-T on the street in my '07. Occasionally I will wimp the blip and need to follow with a second blip but that is just operator error and not pedal set up. I do tend to blip more aggressively on the track however. I don't have extra long feet (size 9) for pedal reach.

I've found the most successful way, at least for me in a 2006+ Elise/Exige, to H-T downshift is:

lift right foot off the floor

place left side of right foot at the ball just under my big toe on the right edge/half of the brake pedal with my foot at an angle (between 25-40 degrees for me) such that a significant majority of my right foot remains overlying the accelerator pedal

apply appropriate pressure for braking as needed

*clutch in, neutral

*roll my right foot to the right side while rotating/moving/twisting my leg/knee rightward (this movement is really at my hip/thigh level) thereby blipping the accelerator pedal enough to allow for the fall in revs while completing the shift (the area of my foot that hits the pedal is actually a combination of the sole and slightly the side of my foot from just in front of the heel to the base of my little piggy toe).

*select gear

*clutch out

(* as one fluid motion)

I bet without changing your pedals at all, if you practice it enough, you will find the '06+ pedals easy for H-T downshifting. You may find it easier after you have gotten done with your break in period as you will feel more comfortable with a larger movement (and subsequent higher revs) of your foot/leg combo thus reaching the pedals more easily than you might imagine.

If I leave my foot vertical on the brake (angled 0) or try to hit the pedal with just my heel (angled more than 45 degrees or so) I will miss the pedal every time. The key for me is angling my foot correctly and a large enough movement/roll/twist of my leg/foot.

Keep practicing and let us know how things are going. I bet it will click and you will love it.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
"Heel-toe" is a misnomer, at least for this car.
Yes it is. Originally coined when the accelerator pedal was in the middle and the brake was to the right. Made it very easy to place the toe on the brake and hit the accelerator with the heel. With the flip of the pedals, they should have renamed it "ball-side" downshift.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Yes it is. Originally coined when the accelerator pedal was in the middle and the brake was to the right. Made it very easy to place the toe on the brake and hit the accelerator with the heel. With the flip of the pedals, they should have renamed it "ball-side" downshift.
+2 - if you look at today's driving shoes, Piloti's in particular, you'll notice the reinforcement on the right shoe is along the ball of the foot on the right side of the shoe.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I wouldn't worry about this. Once you complete your break-in miles, your shift points and the way to drive and shift will change anyway. All the pieces will fall into place then.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone!

I think it might be true that I am just driving it too softly right now. I can feel that the car "really" wants to be shift at no earlier than 4.5K+ so if I shift based on that, it probably will go into gear more smoothly.

I am still looking at a new gas pedal, I do feel the existing one is a bit too short and curvy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can adjust the height of the accelerator and brake pedals to get them to fit you.
I think part of my problem is that I don't like the fact that the accelerator pedal is "curved" so the bottom part is lower then the center part. because when I hit gas while having the top part of my feel on the break, I usually hit the "lower" part of the gas pedal.

It is hard to explain, I think I will need to experiment with a few different setups. I am eager to be able to drive my Elise as well as I drive my Miata....

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
polojcp, fly out here (VA) and I'll hook you up with a day's practice in my car with me in the passenger seat. After 30 mins I'll have you loving the 2007 pedal and you'll be able to H-T downshift with it whilst holding a conversation, eating potato chips and checking out the hottie in the car next to you all at the same time. Unless you have size 16 feet :rolleyes:.

I'm willing to bet there is just one thing that is slightly off with your foot position or movement that is holding you back in the Elise. My H-T downshift foot position is completely different in every other car that I have owned or currently own than in the Elise.

Maybe take some pictures of how your foot is positioned in each part of the sequence (obviously not while driving) and post them here. Perhaps a few folks could give some pointers. I'd just hate to see you give up and change out the pedals.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had the same prob you are having in question1. After installing the RAZO Competition Ti on the gas pedal, all was good w/ H-T. The gas pedal was now at the same level as the brake. Here's a pic of someone else's install.

The pedal can be adjusted both in height/elevation and width.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts