The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realize there are many ways to do this job (e.g., in terms of how and where to run the back-up camera's wires), this is simply the way that worked best for me. Here are some notes from my recent install of a back-up camera on my 2008 Exige S240:

Items purchased from Crutchfield to install:

A. BOYO VTK601HD Camera
B. JVC KD-X560BT single DIN head unit with integrated display for back-up camera

1. I started at the rear of the car and temporarily blue taped the back-up camera in place above the rear license plate.
2. My Exige doesn't have a hole between the license plate lights like my old Elise, so I removed a license plate light to orient myself.
3. I ran the wire from the back-up camera through the same hole where the driver's side license plate light fits (there is room).
4. There are two holes running into the trunk for each license plate light. I couldn't fit my camera wire through those existing holes, so I drilled a small hole centered between them for the back-up camera's wire. I inserted a rubber grommet in the hole and then pulled all the back-up wiring into the trunk.
5. Once in the trunk, it was a snap to tap into the reverse lights and also run a ground wire, as may be needed for your particular set-up.
6. I decided to exit the trunk to the left of the battery and into the engine bay. There are two existing holes with grommets, but despite much trying I couldn't get my back-up wires to fit through them. So I drilled a small adjacent hole and put in a rubber grommet.
7. Once I pulled the back-up camera wiring into the engine bay, I covered it in some wire tubing conduit to protect it from heat and possible chafing. I found some conduit tubing at Home Depot that perfectly matches the stuff the factory already uses in our engine bay. I placed zip ties on the conduit tubing about every 12 inches or so to make sure the wires didn't inadvertently come back out.
8. I ran the wiring to the firewall and then straight down the firewall to the bottom of the car... about dead center. At this point I could either bring the wiring into the car through the shift cables or the passenger side rocker panel where the oil cooler line runs. I made sure to run the wiring as neatly as possible, keep it away from heat, used zip ties to keep it in place, and make it look as OEM as possible.
9. I chose to fish the back-up camera wiring through the passenger side rocker panel rather than follow the shift cables. I pulled the interior door sill (three screws) and pulled the back-up camera wiring into the access area where the alarm is located on the passenger side of the car (covered by a panel located in the passenger side change compartment that is removed by two screws).
10. At this point, I removed the existing OEM head unit and cage. I wasn't sure how I would get the back-up camera wiring behind the new head unit. However, my old OEM head unit had a 13 pin Ipod cable running to the passenger side aluminum shelf. I was able to tape the back-up camera wiring to the old Ipod cable and pull it through to behind the radio. I also had to run a microphone for the speakerphone (note: I realize trying to talk on the phone in our cars can be difficult, but I figured I would at least set it up). I attached the microphone to the aluminum shelf adjacent to the steering wheel (the same place that I had it in my old Elise) by removing the lower panel (four screws) under the steering wheel.
11. I used the Metra 70-1784 wiring harness that many others have had success with to connect my new JVC head unit. Remember that the red and yellow wires need to be switched - as is covered in other articles. See HowTune article on installing a head unit into an Elise.
12. Next I hooked up the head unit - connecting the antenna, connecting the Metra harness (plug and play), connecting the purple wire for back-up camera, etc. I selected this head unit because it has an integrated, single DIN display for the back-up camera. If the display was too small, I figured that I could always get a larger, separate display later. However, I don't find it too small to serve its intended purpose.
13. At this point I tested everything to make sure it worked... AND it did. Phew.
14. I finished install of head unit by affixing the cage tabs, snapping the head unit into place, etc.
15. The final aspect was installing the camera to the rear of the car. The kit came with 6 or 7 mounting possibilities and I chose the one I felt looked most stock and gave me the best rear visibility. It attaches to the back of the license plate and holds the camera firmly in place.
16. There may be better ways to run the wiring for your car and I researched them all before choosing the route I did. For now, I really prefer the clean look of the back-up camera integrated into the head unit. I have limited electrical experience and appreciate the help of my buddies who helped through this process. A few pictures are attached.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While the display is by no means large, I find it more than adequate for backing-up. It is one of the best things I have done for my Exige and the upgraded features from the head unit are a bonus.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
has anyone used one of these rear view mirror kits and mounted the camera in the 3rd brake light area to make a more usable rear view mirror and better view point for a camera?

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I have been using an android tablet for a couple years which is what these basically are. It also has a sim card. Interestingly these rear view cams are available with a sim card, but not in the US[only shipping from China] and so I have little faith in their longevity. I do struggle to find reliable apps for the camera, but I stream music via bluetooth to my head unit, and if it does die, I can get another just like it on ebay in a few days.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
And in looking around after you reminded me, I saw back up cameras integrated into the 3rd brake light and wondered if they might accidentally make one for us

·
Registered
24 Posts
Installed this setup last night. Your write up was a huge help!

Only changes I made were that I ran the RCA and backup light wire through the grommet with the shift cables, then through the console/separator. From there to the passenger sill/ where the iPod cable was. That pocket/ space was easy to remove and run up into the dash behind the radio. Huge thanks for the Metra adapter suggestion, what a easy solution, just switch red and yellow!

I love that it looks OEM but still large enough display to see when backing up.

FYI anyone else, the backup positive from the reverse lights is the brown wire, easy to splice into.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts