The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am severely interested in a Lotus Evora.

I have been researching them for a little while now and I am definitely interested.

We don't have a Lotus Dealer nearby so I am worried about repairs.
How much of the maintenance can be done on my own, and what do you guys do if there is no Lotus dealer nearby (nearest one is 3 hours).

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
How much of the maintenance can be done on my own...
Don't know... Are you mechanically inclined? How much maintenance are you comfortable with? Can you change a tire or do you call AAA? Can you change your oil or do you go to Jiffy Lube?

... and what do you guys do if there is no Lotus dealer nearby (nearest one is 3 hours).
Whatever is needed.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
what do you guys do if there is no Lotus dealer nearby (nearest one is 3 hours).
I fly RoadDad in every time I need maintenance done on mine. He's a little expensive, but does great work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Remember that in the Forum often the negative is topic and all the positive is normal and not mentionned.
I have mine now since 3 years, with 60.000 KM and to be honest: I had to go to the Lotusdealer for maintainance only. All the rest could have been handled by an ordinary mechanic. But it is up to you, everybody is different. A.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
If you get a well buttoned down car that doesn't need a lot of initial warranty visits, and you are capable of routine maintenance, you'll be fine.
If you don't lift a wrench don't buy one. The wealth of knowledge on this forum can be your owners manual unless you buy the factory one!

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
The real issue is the warranty work crapshoot. Some owners have needed a lot, some have needed nothing. To be on the safe side, I would plan for 2-3 warranty work visits to the dealer in the first year. Then the rest depends on how much work you can do yourself, or if you have a reliable shop nearby.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
First off I do love my Evora but I do hate my Lotus dealer for service. My dealer is horrible and have yet to fix ant problems luckily the car is easy to work on and I can fix most problems myself.
Help from this forum has made me much more confident in tackling many of the small problems that I have experienced with the Evora

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Problem with Lotus is that there are so few dealerships available you're sort of at the mercy of what's available. These cars are finicky. If you didn't have easy access to a dealer, don't buy this car. It's not so much that you can't do the work repairs yourself, as it is the fact that there are going to be issues you won't be able to diagnose. The Lotus dealer will have that equipment.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Buy or not?

My dealer is an hour drive to Cleveland. The car was delivered with a faulty interior motion sensor - it was replaced at the 1000 mile oil/change service.

Other than a glitch with error codes after washing the car (I simply reset them with a code reader after consulting with the service tech), all is excellent.

I've always enjoyed doing my own routine maintenance - oil changes, air filters, brake fluid flush. Any good mechanic could do these things for you. Other than that there is not much needed. Just drive and enjoy.

I would buy one even if I had to drive 3 hours to MAG in Columbus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts