The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made a few calls this morning looking to see if I could find a bit quicker route to an MSRP car. I picked up a few numbers that show the VAST discrepency in dealer allocations. Not in terms of theoretical promises, but of actual deliveries to date.

Eastern US...

Fox Valley (20)
Lotus of Atlanta (15 to 18)

Western US....

Silver Star (6)
Steve Harris (2)
Lotus Newport (8)
Boardwalk (9)
Park Place (4)

These are the numbers I was given via phone this morning.

It seems that #150 on some lists is far better than #25 on others.
I spent quite awhile arguing against the fact that different dealers
(remember this means customers Lotus) would get different treatment. I argue no longer, it is quite obvious even to me.

Steve

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Boardwalk is a local dealer. I've been over and talked to them a few times, there a small one, only expecting 12-15 per year. The 9 could be SVAG. Part of it may be the added time to get them to the west coast then the backup getting into and out of port.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
For Park Place they have had only 2 delieveries on their list. One car is the demo, the 4th car was for a prior Lotus customer who bought a 111 track car. Those guys didn't have to wait on lists to get their cars so technically doesn't count in dealer allocations. They were going to ship that car to any dealer that was closest.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
LarryB said:
Part of it may be the added time to get them to the west coast then the backup getting into and out of port.
I am sure that definitely skews the numbers. Give it some time and it not be as different.

Though yes, some dealers will get very few, some will get a lot more.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
But I don't think this should be surprising, I recall quite awhile back hearing from several sources that allocations were going to be based largely on prior Lotus (meaning Esprit) sales.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Steve:
Are those numbers accurate as of TODAY? It actually conflicts with what I've been told at Newport European. (Lotus of Newport Beach)
Any reason for the west coast bias?
- dechien

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
dechien said:
Steve:
Are those numbers accurate as of TODAY? It actually conflicts with what I've been told at Newport European. (Lotus of Newport Beach)
- dechien
It is not really a west coast bias. Don't overlook that in this very early phase, not many dealers have that many cars. It takes at least an extra week for the ships to get here through the canal. Then add in a 2-3 week backlog at the port before they can unload.

If we are looking at a 3-4 week differential, that can represent around 100 cars. Take those 100 cars and distribute them, the larger dealers with bigger allocations could easily have 6-10 cars more.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dechien said:
Steve:
- dechien
As my post says this is what I was told today. No eason to doubt, although I'm unsure why LOA was a 3 car range. I hope Randy is right, but I doubt it.
I read a post of over a week ago that mentioned a guy in upper 30's at LOA who knows a build date. I'm 25 at Steve Harris in SLC. There, Adamant who is #3 has no car yet. A build date for #25 ? you must be joking. if we had information that our cars are being built we could get over the delays in shipping.

It would be real nice if there were a sticky thread where people could update info from dealer in their area. This mini survey I did is nearly 20% of the dealers and only required about 10 minutes to do.

Steve

·
Registered
178 Posts
MAG

I'm supposedly #21 at Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin (Columbus, Ohio), although among their first cars I was told, would be two demo's and 'a couple' for inventory. My salesman recently e-mailed me an 'expected' January/February build, so their allocation must be pretty low. But that's OK, since good driving weather is soon to expire here in Ohio. One of these days I'll get the call and it'll be a nice surprise. At least my salesman, Mike Finneran has been generous with his time and pleasant when I've stopped in.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I can guarantee that deliveries so far ARE NOT based on prior Esprit sales ( from several dealership waitists).
Early post this morning, I am waiting to get picked up in an Excel to go drive a real type 23 this weekend. Yeah, there are a few times when not having the Elise has it's benefits!!!!! 190bhp and 900lbs.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
And I can guarantee that PART of the allocation formula includes prior Esprit sales. But there are other factors that go into the math.

·
Registered
60 Posts
MAG

I'm 23rd at MAG and had the same basic information provided - looking at a January/February build date. I had planned to garage the car through the winter anyway, so its no big deal to wait. I have to agree that sales staff at MAG has been very pleasant to work with. I really appreciated it when my salesman called me just to provide an update.

·
Registered
409 Posts
theories

Thanks for your research. You confirmed that based on my dealer's estimates I could see a car in a month and a half :)

Sounds like you are picking on LOA and Fox Valley though. There's a ton of dealers out here who have nowheres near the same allocation, and there are other dealers out in California you did not report upon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts