The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to bring my Elise back to the dealership for some software diagnostic. The "check engine" light is on thought to be due to an errant O2 sensor.
When I discussed the arrangements with the local Lotus tech at Palm Beach MC I was informed that:
#1-No loaner cars are available while they have to check out the Elise even if it is going to take hours.
#2-There is no towing included if a new Elise (under warranty) breaks down for an warrentied repair.

My thoughts were simpler....WTF? $51,000 ( with tax)for a car and no covered towing if it breaks.

I've had better service at a chevrolet dealer with a C5 vette. There I got a loaner and towing.

Lotus had better get with it if it wants to keep the buyers of it's brand to come back after the first taste.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Some of this is up to the dealer. Mine lent me a car during my A.S.S. (after sales service). They also clean & wash the car for you. Also, Enterprise does cheap rentals and delivers the car to whereever you are and then you leave it there when you're done, another option.

You can also get super triple A for a nominal cost...flat bed tow for up to about 100 mile radius of your home.

Lotus does not sell as many cars as Chevrolet, and many of the dealers are smaller. Those that are part of large multi-brand setups can often do more for you.

A larger than usual percentage of Lotus owners tend to be hands-on types with tools and a can-do attitude.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I personally don't have a problem with it. A loaner car will increase their expenses and someone has to pay for that. Some dealers will be willing to do that, others will not. I have found that to be true with other car dealers also. Some you have to haggle with to get a loaner car.

And yeah, I have AAA for towing. A small price for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I thought there was some talk about Lotus providing roadside assistance. Did that not happen? My closest dealer is 2 hours away so there is no such thing a cheap tow.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Your perspective is a bit off. You look at this as an expensive car, and for most manufacturers, it would be. Spend $50k on a Lexus, and you'll get some of those service bonuses you mention. However, this is a $50k hand built exotic sports car. It is the *cheap* model in the Lotus lineup (looking forward, at least, to the next two models). It's a different market, you can't compare this to the mass-produced automobiles.

There will be some differences from dealer to dealer. For example, one dealer in CA offers complimentary pickup and delivery service (of your car) with all scheduled maintenance work. I've never seen a similar service offered by the more mainstream car dealers.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The Loaner issue is a dealer thing. My dealer, LOA, has a loaner available for when car is serviced.

Chris

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
ROCKCENTER said:
my biggest gripe, the service dept. is not open on the Weekends!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!! so basically, I have to take a morning or afternoon off to drop the car off for regular service.
Criswell's High Performance Team has Saturday service one day a month.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Saturday service isn't something I've personally encountered with dealers, except maybe mainstream like chevy or something?

Chris

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Most of the time when I have tried to call Don at PB Motors, he is out delivering a car to a customer. I rarely hear of people getting new cars delivered right to their homes, so I thought maybe they had a shuttle service and would pick you up or drop off your car for you.

They sell Jaguars and Aston Martins too, so maybe iot is a service they only offer with those cars. In any case they have always been helpful there. They even took me for a 15 mile test drive in an Esprit when I left my Lotuis deposit, so I maybe you could ask them to drop you off at home if you arent that far away.

Lonnie, I can stop by your house and drive your Elise to the dealer if you want, and then you can take me back to pick up my car in the GT3:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the info....a little disappointing. How is Porsche service? Do they provide a loaner? I know with BMW you get a loaner.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
GatorFL said:
Thanks for the info....a little disappointing. How is Porsche service? Do they provide a loaner? I know with BMW you get a loaner.
we generally get a boxster from porsche when the GT2 goes in. I have no idea what you would get if you owned a less expensive model.

remember guys, Lotus is basically a single model manufacturer right now. They do not offer another vehicle to give you as a loner. It is not fair to compare them with another company that has something else to offer. It would be unfair of them to expect their dealers (generally exotic car dealers) to offer a demo from another brand to the Lotus customers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good point offroadr.

When I take my VW in for factory service, if there is no loaner available they have a car delivered from Enterprise.

I guess it is a dealership issue.

At PBMC, I wonder what the Aston buyers get when they come in for service.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
My Audi dealer has discontinued(within the past year) giving loaners (free rental cars)for warranty service. I have an S4 which is also considered a premium model. No free lunch. I believe that this is the dealers decision and Audi doesn't really care. Mercedes does subsidize the dealer for loaners and Lexus is the very generous,loaning another lexus during service.

Lotus is far too small a company to subsidize these perks and most dealers don't feel it necessary to pick up the tab.
For most exotic auto dealers this car is a low end vehicle in price.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've had better service at a chevrolet dealer with a C5 vette. There I got a loaner and towing.

Lotus had better get with it if it wants to keep the buyers of it's brand to come back after the first taste.
[/B]
It's a wonderful car

Everyone knew going into this that this all came with the territory, along with all the minor glitches here and there. We all put up with things like this because we love the car.

I could get the red carpet rolled out for me at a Lexus dealer, but a boring lexus doesn't stir my soul.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dealers Selling Loaner Cars

So that's what those extra cars were for. Shoot I wish they told the dealers before they sold them. Those were loaner cars. Hmm... well they better make some more and send them out. This time they should also include instructions not to sell the loaner cars. That's going to put a monkey wrench in the whole delivery schedule now.

Yeah I'm with almost everyone else. I don't expect loaner cars or a toe service. I've got AAA for towing and another car to drive. This is a sports car. I don't see it as a replacement car nor do I expect Lotus to make it one. I can live without a cup holder, GPS system, a built in cell phone, a bike rack, On Star, a 20 speaker stereo, super hypoallergenic air filter, headlight washers, towing service and loaner cars. If you need those things, you should buy a second car that has them. Lotus has never sold the car under the auspices it would ever come with these things. It’s a sports car, not a family run about. It's a really simple rule: Don’t buy it if you can’t afford it or want it for anything else.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
No loaner at Rothrock that I'm aware of, but it's only 40 minutes away, and they work Saturdays. Add AAA (got it) and I'm set. :)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
MattG said:
However, this is a $50k hand built exotic sports car. It is the *cheap* model in the Lotus lineup (looking forward, at least, to the next two models)..
That's fine... but they'll only be hurting themselves in the long run if that's their attitude.

Personally, I'd never even consider buying another new Lotus again - one time going through this "experience" will be enough for me once I've got my car. However, others might, and I doubt those others would still be considering it after being treated like **** the first time around. If Lotus wants to continue on the path they've clearly set themselves on, they better have their marketing department busy figuring out ways to sell cars to passive -submissive people.

I don't really care about there not being loaner cars, but if my car breaks down under warranty - I sure as hell won't be footing the bill for the tow truck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The issue is not a "loaner"....

The real issue I was trying to express is this:

The dealership is 35 miles from my house. When I need service, I need to have another driver go with me to drop off and then pick up the serviced vehicle. When it comes to Scheduled maiantenace I understand that goes with the territory.
The problem I had with this situation is that I have the car one week. I went up there to get it with two cars. There is something wrong with the car right now, just 200 miles into it's life and I know I have to find the time to get someone to help me out by going up to the dealer twice to bring it and retrieve it.
The tech did not offer to have a "loaner" or rental car there for me to make it easier. He left that up to me to pursue. Although I am not thrilled with having to pay for a rental, I certainly would not mind if it was presented in a more cordial way than it was. Honestly, I can certainly afford the cost of a two day rental from enterprise.
BTW- This problem existed before I picked the car ujp and they thought they had it solved.
I just think that the dealer should extend themselves initially to make the sale and aftersale period (first 500-1000 miles) a good experience for the purchaser.

Enough BS about how this is an exotic and a hand made car and all that. If I expected a luxury car I would not have bought a Lotus Elise. I expected a bare-bones street racer which is what the car is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts