The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Lotus Exige S - so am fumbling my way around at the moment.
Just had my first two days at VIR with the car and was very impressed. I'm an experienced driver but would like some information on the Lotus. I've done a few searches but came up short on some of what I'm looking for.

Stock 2007 Exige running Ohlin's shocks. I don't know the spring rates - but they feel quite soft. Volk Racing 15" and 16" (245's) wheels shod with Hoosier R6's. Left rear wheel rubs and smokes in right handers. Not too bad, but annoying and smelly. I did find some track set-up specs for caster and camber on the board and we did set the car up to those. I guessing it's stock ride height.

1. What sort of spring rate should I be using for a 190# driver?
2. What are the optimum tire pressures for the Hosier R6's ?
3. Is there a chip or re-flash to bump up the power? If so, whose to use?
4. What's a good track exhaust to use? I heard the Larinni's are very loud?

This is not a track only car and will be driven on the street - but not a lot.

Any idea what a decent lap time at VIR should be? I got some - and will post later. Spencer Pumpelly of TRG racing also drove the car - and was suitably impressed. He loved the car. And yes, I have his lap time too.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Gordon.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
1. Im running the Nitron Sports with 525F and 650R. Its pretty stiff and reduces much of the body roll. The higher spring rates do seem to make the car loose on corner exit if the track is bumpy. Doesn't bother me though as I feel its worth the flatter cornering.

2. Have no idea, Im still running RA1's or R888's.

3. The Gotham Reflash as posted above will make your car faster on the street, but once heat soaked on the track it will give you very little if any extra power. Gotham is more for the street. You will need a new intercooler setup to make any significant power increase.

4. I prefer the 2Bular exhaust as they are well built and can be custom made to your specs.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Stock 2007 Exige running Ohlin's shocks. I don't know the spring rates - but they feel quite soft.
The Ohlins are double adjustable and you can make them very stiff for the track and very soft for the street. It takes about 10 minutes and, depending on how the shock resevoirs are mounted, you don't have to take the tires off or lift the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Downforce

Does anyone know what, if any, down force the Exige S has at 60, 100, and 120 mph? I've been told a few numbers but an sceptical.

G.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have double adjustable Ohlins and like them. I ran 225's up front for the first time this weekend and had some tire wear. I pulled into the pits, firmed up the fronts in a couple minutes, and the wear disappeared.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
here are my specs...

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm running Ohlins DA 46mm with 475lbs / 550lb springs which I'm really happy with.

Hoosier R6 should be run at no more than 31-32psi HOT which will equate to COLD pressures somewhere in the low to mid 20s, depending on track, driver, temp etc. More guidance here: Hoosier R6 & A6 Tips

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Stock 2007 Exige running Ohlin's shocks. I don't know the spring rates - but they feel quite soft.
The Ohlins are double adjustable and you can make them very stiff for the track and very soft for the street. It takes about 10 minutes and, depending on how the shock resevoirs are mounted, you don't have to take the tires off or lift the car.
Firming up the damping rates does not effect the spring rates at all. [deleted - personal attack]?

xtn

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Track info

Thanks for all the input. I thought this thread had died. I'll have the car at Roebling Road (Savannah, GA.) a week from Friday and see how these settings help. Local dealer did a chip up-grade, so we will have to see if it works. Keep all the tuning info coming, I want this little sucker to be fast! :coolnana:

Gordo.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dealer Chip upgrade? What kind and where? Details on what out put is promised.\?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Firming up the damping rates does not effect the spring rates at all. [deleted - personal attack]?

xtn
Uh... it was not an attack. It was a question designed to either prove or disprove my theory regarding the method of drug intake.

xtn

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Upgrade??

Dealer Chip upgrade? What kind and where? Details on what out put is promised.\?

I wish I knew. Greenville, SC. I was never allowed to talk to the service tech (4 attempts) - and the service writers did not know squat. It was a "wham bam, thank you mam..." episode. I suspect it was minimal. Will know Friday after a day at Roebling Road raceway, in Savannah, GA.

Gordo.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The only Lotus authorized ECM upgrade I'm aware of is the T4e. This does not promise any more power. It simply lowers the cam switch rpm.

xtn

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VIR

"what course at VIR and what were your times - I have run the full course most often -"

Sorry - I've been off this thread for a while.

My times at VIR were in the high teens. 2:19 or there abouts. My friend Geoff ran a 2:16 and I personally timed Spencer Pumpelly (TRG) with me in the car at a 2:14. No doubt he could get close to 2:11's with some time and set-up in the car - and no passenger. (not sure how long the brakes or car would last at those times but I think they are possible).

G.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts