The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone slap some sense into me please.

Went with a friend who's interested in an Madaz Rx8. We both took a test drive. And I like the RX8 enought that I'm thinking of selling/trading in my 2002 Yamaha R1 for it. My current car's lease ends in July (5 more months).

Here's the problem, any major ticket (ie: new car) purchases right now may jeapodize the Else. I think my Elise (#15 at Scottsdale) will arrive between June to August. I could ask the dealer to drop my spot with someone farther down and pick up the Elise in December. See, that's crazy talk, right there!

Can someone please slap some sense into me. It's just I'm tired of waiting. help. please. :(

·
Registered
327 Posts
Slap!

First off -- if you sell your R1 for a 4 seat "sportscar" you're going to miss the bike. It may take a few months, but you will get the urge to lean and put your knee down. You can't do that from behind the wheel of a car.

Second off -- How is selling the R1 going to put you in an RX8? I guess you mean you need the >$10k from the R1 to make the RX8 affordable.

Third off -- If your current car lease is over in July, why not wait until July to do something. With a little luck, your Elise will be in by then.

Fourth off -- If you don't want to wait or you have questions about the real world driving of an Elise, you are not alone. But are you sure that the RX8 is the way you want to go? As a fellow sportbike rider who wants to feel much of that in a car -- I would suggest you take a look at the '04 S2000. That's a better choice than that Wanker Rotary engine.

Last off -- I think you should keep your deposit in at your dealership no matter what you do. You've waited this long and you owe it to yourself to test drive a Fed Elise when it arrives.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hans Stuck said:

Second off -- How is selling the R1 going to put you in an RX8? I guess you mean you need the >$10k from the R1 to make the RX8 affordable.

I meant <$10k.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
SLAP!!!
PLus the RX-8 is sooooooooooooo horribly ugly. It's like they couldn't decide wether to make the car retro (the fenders) or futuristic. It looks like a parody of a sports car. Maybe the perf. is off the chain, but god I've got to at least like the looks of it. WHen you consider how beautiful the Rx-7 series were, ycccccccch!

Trading a bike for a cage, you should be more than slapped!

Chris:D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
SLAP !!! The RX-8 is a good compromise street car, but it is not an all out sports car like the Elise. What do you want a nice commuter/sporty car (four doors are nice for daily driving) or an all out sports car?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Reverse psychology or truth?

Go for it! You don't need the profoundly impractical Elise. Besides, with the mass availability of the RX-8 you'll have so many more fellow Mazda drivers to hang out with and talk about the "unique" looks of your car.

The RX-8 is a far better compromise between practicality and performance. It may not be as pure a sports car as the Elise but it will also haul twice as many passengers.

I hear the Mazda's mileage is pretty bad though so maybe it's a tossup for you being used to getting 40 odd MPG on your bike.

I'm not helping much am I?
Jim

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
To add to what Jim said:

I watched some tuner show on TV last night where they took some guys new RX8 and added nitrous and some cool decal graphics. Who wouldn't pick that over an elise???:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I seriously considered an RX-8 before the Elise came along. I test drove one and liked it alright (it certainly could use a bit more power). But I did some reading of forums and saw a LOT of engines being replaced. I didn't like that...

·
Registered
87 Posts
When purchasing a car it should never put you in a difficult position. My theory has been if you make a decision to buy something it should be something that you could immediately purchase. Selling items and thinking about how your going to pay for it might make more sense to take sometime to think about how it will effect you financially. If you could afford both go for it, but think of your long-term goals.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When purchasing a car it should never put you in a difficult position. My theory has been if you make a decision to buy something it should be something that you could immediately purchase. Selling items and thinking about how your going to pay for it might make more sense to take sometime to think about how it will effect you financially. If you could afford both go for it, but think of your long-term goals.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your responses....i think. ;)

I wasn't planning of give up my spot for an RX8. At most, delaying pickup until the end of the year. I'm crazy not stupid. :p

But I do want to get rid of the R1 because my current vehicle line up is sort of on the impractical side

2002 R1
2002 MV Agusta
'99 Boxster (who lease is thankfully over in 5 months)

The Elise will replace the Boxster (whoo!) and the RX8 would take the place of the R1. The R1 is basically my daily driver and the Boxster is a ......well, I just don't really use it. :)

My only problem with getting two vehicles so close it each other is a lender may wonder what's going on. It's really just another thing that can go wrong.

Oh, as for the RX8, I'm not really to moved by the exterior design. It's rather ordinary in a Mitusbishi Eclipse way. But I what I like is that it doesn't attract too much attention (as opposed to the Elise). I really liked the interior though...and for a normal car, it handles pretty well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
deleted, admin

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zvezdah1 said:
Lay off the insults guys, no place for em here!:) Chris
I agree with Zvezdah. When I started this thread, I did expect a bit of harshness toward myself to snap me out of my "waiter's syndrome."

As for the Elise, it's a car that evokes strong emotions. We are all on the Elise waiting list because we want it and NOT because we need it. Those emotions tends to bend the rules of praticality and common sense. However, what Excess said also makes sense. Would you buy an Elise if it mean you'd have to struggle to make rent payments?

Perhaps the answer for most people lies in the balance between "how bad do you want it" and "where it's going to put me." No clear cut formula but a question only each individual can answer.

In regards to purchasing the Elise in full, I could not see myself doing that for any car -no matter how much I liked it. For one reason, I do like to have new cars every few years. Hence leasing works very well for me. Also, I don't need to worry about resale value (ie: Seen Porsche Boxster resale values recently?) There are no real commitments. If I were planing on keeping the Elise for seven, eight, or ten years, then purchasing would make sense. Not to mention, if I had $42,000 it would be invested in an appreciating asset and not a car.

But going back to my original post, it's really more a sign of restlessness and waiter's fatique than anything else. :(

Common, let's get those production lines rolling! We're 5 days away for March! GET A MOVIN!!!!!! :mad: ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Except I'd use less words. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts