The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the situation: I have my SLK32 AMG listed on cars.com with lots of pictures. This afternoon I went over to the Yahoo classifieds to see what they had. I was thinking of placing the ad there as well. Soooo, upon doing a search on existing listings for an SLK32 AMG, I was pretty shocked to come up with a listing for what looked like my car. On closer examination, I noticed that this car, which supposedly was for sale by an owner in CA, had MY CAR's VIN!!! Not only that, they had swiped all the pics that showed my car in front of my house, as well as the description I had posted on cars.com.

I've notified Yahoo multiple times today and get no response. I've also send emails to the individual who listed the car, telling them to pull the ad immediately. This is fraud. Plain and simple.

(It's not even as if someone was copying my ad out of laziness. They didn't even modify all the customizations my car has in the description. It's the same down to the birdseye maple gear shift knob - not to mention the VIN.)

What else do I need to do here? The person has a Yahoo email address.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ellen

·
Registered
758 Posts
Try buying it :D

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you aren't getting a response from Yahoo! via email, try calling the main number for Yahoo! or Investor Relations.

Main Number: 408-349-3300
Investor Relations: 408-349-3382

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Gromit said:
Try buying it :D
Hah! I like it. Make like a buyer and see how far they will take it. Ask if they have a clean title and all.

Are they copies of your pictures or links to your pictures? You could hose them that way, as was discussed recently with the brick-layer pictures.

I've had this kind of listing-copycat happen on eBay several times, and it's pointless to think that Yahoo/eBay would do anything about it. They'll tell you to pound sand and stop trying to cheat them out of their listing commission..

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ground Loop said:
Hah! I like it. Make like a buyer and see how far they will take it. Ask if they have a clean title and all.

Are they copies of your pictures or links to your pictures? You could hose them that way, as was discussed recently with the brick-layer pictures.

I've had this kind of listing-copycat happen on eBay several times, and it's pointless to think that Yahoo/eBay would do anything about it. They'll tell you to pound sand and stop trying to cheat them out of their listing commission..
I have had people steal my photos off Ebay, but never actually try to sell my car with my VIN.

Not sure how much luck they'll have tracking the person, but I just reported the incident to the Internet Fraud Complaint Center. We'll see ...

(Oh, and it's kind of interesting that the person lists the sales price as $5300 or best offer. Yeah, right ...)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aletes said:
If you aren't getting a response from Yahoo! via email, try calling the main number for Yahoo! or Investor Relations.

Main Number: 408-349-3300
Investor Relations: 408-349-3382
Thanks for the numbers. They're closed for the evening but I'll try again tomorrow if I still haven't heard anything.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
are the images references to images on your website? If so, you could have a lot of fun with it... switch the images, keep the names the same. ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BrianK said:
are the images references to images on your website? If so, you could have a lot of fun with it... switch the images, keep the names the same. ;)
Nope. Unfortunately they're hosted by Yahoo. :(

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I just sold a PS2 on ebay for about $180. A guy contacts me, purporting to be the winner. He says it's a gift for his son's birthday. He says he's having Western Union send me a Moneygram, and that I should send the item to his son in Nigeria (RED FLAG ALERT!).

A couple of hours later, he sends me a phony notice from Western Union, saying a payment is pending. Images are fuzzy, the thing looks unprofessional, and there are grammatical errors throughout. Not to mention there's no tracking number for the alleged payment. Then an hour later, he sends me a phony WU notice, congratulating me cause the payment has been approved.

Now, he says, when I send the item, and send WU the tracking number, they'll mail me my Moneygram. :rolleyes:

I'll be interested to see how long I can string this clown along, and irritate him with phony delays in "shipping" his item. He said he's going to give me his UPS account number to mail it, but I doubt that. (If he does, I may mail a box of bricks.)

BTW, in the meantime, the real winner of the auction sent me Paypal, and the PS2 is already on its way to her.

Ellen, try calling the FBI. That's interstate fraud.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pinmagic said:

Ellen, try calling the FBI. That's interstate fraud.
Yep, that it is. Thanks.

P.S. The only time I had a problem on Ebay was in selling a PS2. The person paid via Paypal and wanted me to FedEx the package immediately, theoretically for his girlfriend's birthday. Something didn't seem 'right' and it turned out that he was trying to use a stolen credit card. Thankfully I hesitated long enough on the shipping for the whole thing to unravel on the 'buyer.'

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
YELO,

I'd be glad to try to buy the car from this person. If you want to try this, send me the link.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
eliseowner2b said:
YELO,

I'd be glad to try to buy the car from this person. If you want to try this, send me the link.
Thanks, Dan. Went to get the link and the ad has been removed. Oh, well ... next time I'll have more fun first. ;)

Just got this from Yahoo:

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Classifieds.

We appreciate your bringing this to our attention. We will investigate the situation and take the appropriate action. It is through members like you, that Yahoo! Classifieds will continue to be a safe and fun place to do business.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Regards,

Evan

Yahoo! Customer Care

1 - 15 of 15 Posts