The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came out to my car to see some guy posing on the front clam of my Elise. Feet on the ground, but rear end firmly planted on the clam of my Elise. He wasn’t the lightest guy in the world either, what is wrong with people?! I didn’t notice any marks or anything, I probably would have gone about my day without a care in the world had i not witnessed it, but I’m assuming fiberglass is sturdy enough to withstand someone sitting on it briefly?

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,599 Posts
Too bad we cannot rig something to shock the %((***&( out of idiots like that. A friend had 3 kids sitting on the hood of his Lambo taking selfies. No damage to his car either. Glad yours did not get damaged. Yes, pretty strong.

• Haha
Reactions: quattro574

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had something similar happen to me, told the guy off and got real quiet and retreated with his group of friends. Some people have no respect. It sucks not being able to let the lotus leave my sight when out sometimes.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
1,321 Posts
Well I found this.. granted it could have been there well before this guy sat on the clam.. View attachment 1320774
Probably not from fatty sitting on the clam. That actually looks like it was repainted over. But most likely just a stress crack, albiet in a weird place.

In my ownership I have only taken it out in parking lots maybe 2 times, and that was to Autozone to get a battery for my DD. Just cant trust people. My DD is all banged up from Walmart and Target idiots smashing into my doors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Too bad we cannot rig something to shock the %((***&( out of idiots like that. A friend had 3 kids sitting on the hood of his Lambo taking selfies. No damage to his car either. Glad yours did not get damaged. Yes, pretty strong.
I saw a video of a similar thing where two kids (under 8 years old) were running and jumping onto the hood of a Lambo. The kids don't know any better but you hope hope there would be parents around to stop that sort of thing from happening to such an expensive car. Or, even the guy filming could have said something...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I brought my car to work one day and the guys from a car detailing company (that goes to wash people cars) decided to take pics sitting my on clam. I didn't see it while it happened, I found the butt print in the dust later at the end of the day.

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red Pearl 2005 Elise
136 Posts
I brought my car to work one day and the guys from a car detailing company (that goes to wash people cars) decided to take pics sitting my on clam. I didn't see it while it happened, I found the butt print in the dust later at the end of the day.
That's pretty ironic. If they had simply detailed your car then you never would have known.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It doesn't take very much to put stress cracks in thin fibreglass body panels, and they don't always show on the surface right away. Our body panels flex and the paint not so much but certainly much better than in Europa/Elan days. You should get the miscreant's contact information and ask them if they are willing to pay for repairs if they surface later.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
263 Posts
There is an indentation in one of the mesh radiator grilles on the front clam of my Exige. I was told it was from a model placing her rear end there while posing for photos.

I have not yet figured out where to get more of that mesh and the best way to replace it.

·
Administrator
12,651 Posts
Comes with the clips and instructions

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT, Monoco White, 6sp, black+red interior, glass hatch
28 Posts
I came out to my car to see some guy posing on the front clam of my Elise. Feet on the ground, but rear end firmly planted on the clam of my Elise. He wasn’t the lightest guy in the world either, what is wrong with people?! I didn’t notice any marks or anything, I probably would have gone about my day without a care in the world had i not witnessed it, but I’m assuming fiberglass is sturdy enough to withstand someone sitting on it briefly?
In 2012 I had the bonnet of my E-Type painted. Shortly after, I returned to it one day and found what were clearly rivet marks from someones jeans. Fortunately they buffed out.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT, Monoco White, 6sp, black+red interior, glass hatch
28 Posts
I can't be the only one that watches car shows on TV and sees the hosts fondling and leaning on the cars. Drives me crazy. I'm talking to you Mike Brewer!
Automotive design Font Electric blue Rectangle Symbol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Comes with the clips and instructions

That is for Elise. Poster has an Exige.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also, I assume it wouldn’t be too difficult to reform the grille with the clam off using something like a light hammer and dolly. Probably easier than removing and embedding a new one.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
I think I would buy the grille while it is available and have it on the shelf. I bet there is a clever way to straighten expanded metal that has been stretched.

Why on earth would people think they can sit on someones car.

They do make alarms that are proximity sensitive

·
Administrator
12,651 Posts
That is for Elise. Poster has an Exige.
Oops I should have moved it since we're in the Elise Forum that where my mind was.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts