The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I could use some help with bleeding my brakes. I seem to keep getting it wrong. i can provide a six pack of good beer or some cash in return

thanks
Ed

Colorado springs

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I would help if Iwas close. It would be a one person job if you pick up a power bleeder. Sirlotus here on the site sells EZbleed. Since it is at least a yearly pm to bleed the clutch and brakes it is worth it. Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
How to Bleed Brakes:

Note that many people disagree with my method, so judge for yourself.

Taught to me by semi-famous Toyota engineer, who built championship winning cars and bikes.

1. Get Sears brake bleed kit (canister, hoses, adaptors for bleed valves) and their hand vacuum pump. Kits there have both components. Inexpensive.

2. Pour a little b/f in canister, hook up hoses and use the tightest adaptor you can.

3. Pump vacuum to 20-25” with bleeder valve closed.

4. Tap caliper with small hammer or similar. This releases the air bubbles clinging to the caliper into the stream. WHATEVER method you use, DON’T skip this step.

5. Open bleed valve.

6. When vacuum is almost gone, close bleed valve.

7. Check level in master cylinder. Do this often.

8. Repeat as needed.

Benefits:

*Never got a firmer pedal using any other method.

*Requires only one person. Your wife/so will thank us both.

*You will not be pushing the piston in m/c into the rough area normally unused, thereby not prematurely wearing that seal. (Clutch m/cs are always used to full range.)

Note: On my Elise, I needn’t even remove the wheels.

Yeah, yeah, people use pressure bleeders, but my racecar mechanic friends don’t like these.

Yeah, I know about speed bleeders.

The above is my opinion. No responsibility for screw ups, injuries, maiming or deaths.

Take it, leave it. OK with me.

·
Addict
1,301 Posts
Happy to help if we can find a time that works for boh of us, have a power bleeder. If you do not already have it sorted with someone else let me know.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glen help me get the brake bleeding correct. thanks for offers. I ordered a pressure bleeder as my vacuum bleeder just does not work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts