The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clear Bra installs will take place between July 9 and July 15th for the first batch of Elises. Hope that helps those waiting on cars in the first batch in some small way. If I get some specifics about the installs I'll pass them on, but probably won't know more until July 9th.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I've decided not to do the factory bra.

way too expensive, and the 3M is older technology.

All reports I've heard say that Llumar's clearbra is vastly superior in clarity

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a clear bra on my black G35 Coupe. Even though it's noticeable up close (probably the most noticeable color you can put it on) most people don't know it's there if you don't point it out. Also it's saved me from a ton of rock chips and I'll definitely be putting it on the Elise. That Llumar stuff looks promising. I have a local installer but I'm not sure what film he's using.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Keep in mind that when you want to replace the stone protection because it is getting beat up that there is a possibility that the paint will come off with it!

I've seen it happen!

·
Registered
186 Posts
meat said:
Keep in mind that when you want to replace the stone protection because it is getting beat up that there is a possibility that the paint will come off with it!

I've seen it happen!
If that happens then you get a brand new paint job for free. All of the installers I know of offer guarentee paint protection. Won't prevent the paint from fading normally with the rest of the car and won't damage the paint when removing. They all pretty much guarentee 100% safe removal. As easy as adding water and soap they say.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The Lotus factory installed film (done at the distribution centers) carries a warranty but not sure for how many years.

I"ve used the 3m stuff for years on various areas on motorcycles, works very well. Yellowing or discoloration has never been an issue..
Chris

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
atyclb said:
I've decided not to do the factory bra.

way too expensive, and the 3M is older technology.

All reports I've heard say that Llumar's clearbra is vastly superior in clarity
Not true the differences in is the adhesive, I'll stack 3M up against it anytime, I've got almost 10 years exp in 3M based products and I've worked with and seen the results of others like Avery, Llumar, etc.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
I checked out the Llumar film at SEMA last year. It does have excellent clarity. It looks great on a car. The film is very stiff which may cause some application headaches.

I don't believe they sell any of this film to the automotive OEMs. OEM specifications are difficult to meet. This is a better indication of the quality/durability of the film. You can basically sell anything into the aftermarket.

The 3M product has met OEM specs for well over a decade.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Later Apex said:
Clear Bra installs will take place between July 9 and July 15th for the first batch of Elises. Hope that helps those waiting on cars in the first batch in some small way. If I get some specifics about the installs I'll pass them on, but probably won't know more until July 9th.
Late,

Don't you have to have the cars first before they can do the installs. At this point I don't beleive anything until I see cars. Have you seen the cars yet?? Today is June 21st. Me dealer has zero cars.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
MItch,
The installs are done at the distributions centers before they go to the dealer, and of course one of the elisetalkers saw three elises on a flatbed headed to Brunswick from Charleston (this is confirmed by a number of sources). So Later's information certainly jibes with latest thoughts.

Chris

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I hope the dealers are not installing it as an extra cost option without our knowledge.

"Sorry, they all come with it. It is a standard practice at our dealership" is a term I've heard too many times for rustproofing, paint sealant and other assorted junk the dealers so to inflate their profit margin.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Ewwww xxxotic is right -- dealers love that trick! Especially on high-demand cars where the buyer will take it regardless.

On low-demand cars you can stiff it to them and say "I don't care, strike the sealant from the price" and they'll swallow the $25 out-of-pocket cost to sell the car.

They know nobody is walking away from their Elise.

·
Registered
495 Posts
And they would just smile and sell your car at a hefty markup.
Don't think 'hefty markups' are in the cards for very long for the Elise. I'm sure some dealers will grab what they can while they can, but that's nothing new. If my dealer does that, I'll walk. And then we'll both be happy.

The car is great, but it's priced right now. For more $, I will look elsewhere, and wait to pick up a nice used example for a fair price

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Not that it is not possible, but I expect the majority of cars are dealer demos and it would not surprise me that everyone of them would get the film applied. It is an option and I would expect all of the demos to used to show options.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
There was a post several months ago that one of the dealers in another state ordered the first 10 cars with all options including LSS, touring and hardtop and was then going to sell them at whatever the market would bear. It would not surprise me if they put the clearbra on it to in order to increase their profit margin. S

I was out of state and stopped in at the dealership in question a few weeks ago to see if they had the scale model cars and the salesman said must have thought I was inquiring about a real car. He told me they only have one model which is a hardtop convertible which leads me to believe that they are ordering all the options on their cars. They told me to come back after June 15th and they might have a car or more information. I dont think they told everybody they were taking the first 10 cars for themselves. :no:

It will be interesting to see if they have 10 loaded cars on their lot for sale while their deposit holders havent even gotten their cars yet. I will not mention what dealer it was since I dont want want to promote them to anyone who is trying to buy their way up on the list. Whoever is on the list and ordered a car the same as one of their 9 dealer cars should get it first IMO.

Wonder how Lotus is handling getting demos to dealers that ordered LSS. Are they going to give just one to the dealers that ordered it as a demo or are they going to give the dealer the option to take a non LSS car instead? In any case I hope this particular dealer has to wait until December to get their other 9 LSS equipted cars that they ordered, and that there is 4 feet of snow on the ground at the time and that all the people, from numbers 11 upwards ordered cars without the LSS. This way the dealer will be forced to give people who placed deposits their cars before he gets any to sell at a markup to others who are willing to sneak in line:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts