The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like there is something rolling around from side to side during hard turns. I think its coming from the footwell area or the dash, perhaps a rock, screw/bolt, or even an acorn.

Pulled the front undertray off...nothing there. Pulled the front clam top access covers off to look below the dash area, vaccumed it up but the area was too short in lenght and i can tell whatever is rolling around is going completely side to side.

So any ideas? Anyone ever have a similar issue? Any advice on how to locate the source?

Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
So, this may not be your problem but I have had spare change sliding back and forth in the side skirt area. I had to take off the black piece "red arrow" and squeeze my hand in, reach around the piping to pull them out. Somehow they managed to find there way from the cockpit to this area. Also, another place to check would be inside of the doors. Sometimes a bolt or something may get dropped in there especially if someone removed the side mirrors. I've had to stick a magnet in there to pull them out. Hope that helps...

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Often that noise is from a loose ball in the drivers seat rail runners. Just take the seat out, put some grease in the runners to catch the ball and voila. Fixed. But then some other noise will surface :)

It may appear when cornering despite you would only expect it to happen when accelerating or braking. I was about to drop the tank for inspection when i found out the real simple culprit.

This sound is more like a dead stop 'klick' from some part only, not so much a sliding sound as you mention though.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've had a "rolling sound" from time to time. It sounds like it is from behind the driver's seat. I spent a lot of time trying to find it but was not successful.

Every once in a while after a spirited drive it will disappear for a few weeks or months. But it has come back every now and then.

I currently suspect that it is something loose in the engine bay that can move around a bit but not completely. Perhaps a plastic piece that slides around on a hose or something like that.

I am hoping that you find what it is and that by doing that you solve my problem.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Probably not your issue but it reminded me recently what I found after removing the center console. I found almost a dollar worth of change, from pennies to quarters sliding around that middle area. Must have been from the previous owner as I don't ever keep coins on me haha. Best of luck finding the culprit.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
350 Posts
Sounds like driver's seat rail bearings. Pack with grease and should stop. Its the problem I had.

Reactions: malo

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback

Its definitely rolling left-to-right and right-to-left. Only happens on hard cornering, and you can tell whatever it is, its traveling for a few seconds and a couple feet. From the sound, I can tell it bounces a couple times as it rolls to the other side

With that said, i would probably eliminate things like the seat rail, as that would be a forward/backward motion and a very short distance...

Nothing in the center console, as im running it naked.. nothing under the seats either, as Ive taken them out during a full detail

Will try to ger a video/sound clip

·
Registered
73 Posts
Two things I would check having had a left to right rolling noise: 1. Could be a broken passenger airbag clip. The only way to remove the passenger side airbag is by breaking the four clips and inevitably one or more of them can fall into the dash. I have had luck before removing the passenger side sill and vent trim and then using a cheap harbor freight borescope to look around and retrieve. 2. Jack up one side of the car, pull a front wheel and look inside the extrusions around the suspension and steering rack, they may have foam blocks that you can carefully pull out and then use a flash light or your scope again to look around. I had one extrusion with missing foam where a mud bug had built its little mud house and the vibration from the car caused the mud to drop off and roll left and right.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for the feedback

Its definitely rolling left-to-right and right-to-left. Only happens on hard cornering, and you can tell whatever it is, its traveling for a few seconds and a couple feet. From the sound, I can tell it bounces a couple times as it rolls to the other side

With that said, i would probably eliminate things like the seat rail, as that would be a forward/backward motion and a very short distance...

Nothing in the center console, as im running it naked.. nothing under the seats either, as Ive taken them out during a full detail

Will try to ger a video/sound clip
Check down inside the passenger door. I had some stuff down in there that sounded like it was rolling side to side. I'd usually only hear it during hard cornering too, it was getting caught on part of the window bracket in the middle of the door and would get dislodged during hard cornering, roll around a few times, then get caught again.

Could possibly be down in the side sill, I had a few small pieces of gravel in there. They were more of a backwards/forwards rolling sound though.

Another thing to look at is the shear panel under the fuel tank. Not sure how likely it is for something to be sliding/rolling around on there (especially for a long period of time with all the holes in it), but when I removed mine there were lots of small pieces of gravel that fell out that were caught along the edges of it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I took off my shear panel once looking for anything that might be trapped in there. It was a PITA to remove and afterwards I concluded that anything in there would have just fallen out sooner or later.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have something like that too! coming from under the steering column, forward of my knees. The sound is not too loud, kinda tinny, like a metal wire hitting against aluminum. I'll have a look see soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts