The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say I'm a little surprised that we haven't seen any "Me too!" posts on this glorious July 15.

Is Chris really the only person to take delivery on Release Day? Maybe the others are doing the right thing and taking time off work to break it in by the weekend. :)

So the one delivery actually happened prearranged, in secret, at LOA, earlier (when, actually?) and was a photo-op and PR event. When do mortal deliveries begin?

I imagine every dealer in the US came to work with full voicemail and a ringing phone..

No, hold the Brie -- I'm not complaining, just surprised.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Any of the dealers in San Diego have one yet? I understand that's where the West Coast cars are being shipped to for distribution. From there, a couple days depending on distance, for West Coast dealers to get their cars.

DLY

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't forget not every Elise deposit holder or enthusiast is on this forum. Considering the extremely low volume that's supposed to be here this month I'm not surprised at all. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else got theirs before Chris. By August we should have enough braggin posts to piss us all off that don't have one yet. :p

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Well, I have a Hot Wheels 340R on my monitor and a first edition 340R still in box on my wall.

But, that's not really the same...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI guys,

The cars weren't expected to start shipping before today/tomorrow, and I think it's pretty much up to the trucking company as to what's sent where. I'm pretty confident you guys will be seeing cars and some will be getting cars within the next two weeks (just my gut feeling, no inside scoop there).

ALso, I think once the new computer system is fully online, information flow will be markedly improved. The guys at LCU really stressed that point to me. They know comms hasn't been the greatest but believe me they're committed. Rule of thumb, after a car hits the US port should be at the dealer in about two weeks.(10-15 days).

I know it still seems like a long time but it's worth the wait.
Chris

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You are kiddin right? Chris getting his car was a planned press event. You need to realize that the fact that both the head of LCUSA and the press being present when he took delivery could not merely be coincidence. His car was scheduled perhaps weeks ahead of time to be delivered to him at that time and in that place. The fact that Lotus delivered one car in a press event does not necessarily mean we will see any other customer cars delivered today or even next week.

I’m not saying that we won’t see normal customer cars delivered soon, but I am saying that Chris’s car was not by any means a normal delivery. I look at it as a special event like when the press cars were delivered. After all do you expect John English to be on hand when you pick up your car?

It’s great that Chris got his car, I’m sure he’s worthy. But I’m not gonna believe cars a really coming until regular (none connected) people start to get theirs.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
ALso, I think once the new computer system is fully online, information flow will be markedly improved.
It certainly couldn't be any worse!!:p

·
Registered
138 Posts
I find it hard to believe all the positive responces to ONE car being someone with inside connections. Personally I am more pissed than ever because some select individuals have the connections and inside information. I am really getting sick of the lack of communication. It seems like everyone has the scoop but as an average consumer I am out in left field. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Keep in mind that being "connected" really means squat when it comes to getting a car early. I am number 1 here and I am not getting a first batch car...though I hope mine is coming soon. I hear some positive news, so I am crossing my fingers. My car seemed to have changed from "in build" to "will be built" to maybe "was built".... we shall see.

Chris was number 1 at Lotus of Atlanta, which happens to be the close dealer to Lotus USA, so I think that has a lot more to do with his getting a car than any pull he has.

Just my cents. Lotus may talk to us, but talk does not get my car here any earlier. I have tried. :)

And yes, delivering the first car is a planned media event. If I can guess, it would be normal to plan it at the beginning of the release of cars to all your dealerships. It is news that the anticipated car was finally delivered to a customer.

Cars ARE being trucked from distribution. Perhaps a couple days behind planned release as of last week. But they are going. You will see/read about cars at other dealers very soon.

·
Registered
758 Posts
"I am number 1 here" - Does that mean, when I see you in your Elise, I can call you number one .. in sign-language .. =)

"talk does not get my car here any earlier. I have tried." - Maybe they don't like you. Can you ask for the rest of us ? Them not liking you may be an added bonus =)

"Well where the heck are they?!!" - I'm sure there was only one person who went to work on Carday =)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Where's that photo of sour grapes when I need it ?

I'm sorry, I'm trying to look on the bright side, because you know what ? Whining isn't going to get us our cars any quicker, and it sure doesn't make the time go any faster - I've already tried that...;)

Congratulations again to Chris ! One of our own...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Buck Dharma said:
I find it hard to believe all the positive responces to ONE car being someone with inside connections. Personally I am more pissed than ever because some select individuals have the connections and inside information.
No, you're just jealous, and rightfully so! :)

I'm guessing that what helped Chris was the fact that he lives so close to Lotus USA, and has been in touch with them for so many years about the Elise, that when they had to choose the first Elise customer for a press release, he was their obvious choice.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Spot on Matt,
LOA being close to LCU logistically made it very easy, also the fact that Lotus of Atlanta was the #1 dealer in the US in 03, I think they felt it was a win win situation. But, I have absolutely no doubt that if Buck, or someone else was #1 at LOA they would have gotten the car not me. I just happened to be fortunate enough to start the wait list at LOA.

edit: additionally Buck, it's not the first and only car being delivered in the next couple weeks people WILL BE GETTING THE CALL TO COME GET THEIR CAR, it's a fact, sure not everyone all at once but in time...........

Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Symbolic told me today that they expect to see their demos within a couple of weeks and should have info on build dates for orders taken. I don't think that Lotus or the dealers are as concerned about delivering cars quickly as we are about receiving them asap. Things are moving along and we will get our cars in good time.

I do agree that I too will feel better when more reports of deliveries come in.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Chris was #1 on the waiting list for several years.

I'm sure that if someone else was #1 on the list and he was number 10, Lotus would have called the number one person first.

But then the number one person probably would have been someone like Chris who activity participated in promoting Lotus, participated in the bulletin boards, and was well know to all of us.

He is fortunate to also live by their headquarters, knows the people there and is willing to have his picture taken and get the publicity. I'm sure he even had to sign a waiver so that the pictures could be used for publicity. Other people might just say, give me my car, dont take pictures, I want my privacy.

We are lucky that he is willing to share his experience with us.
The people that are number 1 at their dealer and who are selling on eBay as soon as the car comes in would not want to be bothered, but then I doubt that anyone who is number 1 on the list isnt an enthusiast.

All press releases are staged and planned in advance. Do you really think that they are going to have everybody waiting around hoping that a car will be a a specific place at a specific time. What if they called Chris and he he wasnt home or said, I cant pick my car up until the following day since I have to work- highly unlikely, but none the less, it is a possibility.

Ps. Randy; I heard a rumor that Lotus saw the old posts of Modern Wedgie washing her car in a bikini and have decided to give her the first car in California since she is more photogenic than you!:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts