The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a recent trip to the UK, we drove 3 hours to hethel and went on a rather exclusive tour of the lotus factory!!
Probabby the second best thing bar actually taking delivery of the car itself!! very indepth and you get to see how your car goes together from picking up body panels all the way to the "quality checks" at the end...

It is worth going to the UK just for this tour as our passion for the brand is well appreciated!

Anybody else have any experience here?

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I have done it several times and did it back in the day when you could take pictures!! It is a great experience.

Roy

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,688 Posts
We've Been Twice...

My wife toured the factory back in 1993, days before the sale from GM to Bugatti happened. They were cleaning the factory up, and had set up a little display area for 'historic' road cars. They had a couple of Bond cars (one was definitely a non-functional model), as well as a Lotus Carlton. We saw the old production line - they were assembling Esprits. In the center of the assembly area, they were assembling a brand-new Elan Plus Two, from factory parts. A customer wanted one, and was willing to pay a lot for a new one. Lotus has the molds from most old models.

In 2001, my wife gave me a trip to Hethel for the driver training day for my birthday. We both drove S2 Elises (Rover engines) all day. Pretty cool. At lunch, we went on a tour of the factory - Lotus clubs from Europe were over for a special visit. I saw the line where they were making Elises and Vaulxall/Opels. Speaking of quality checks, they showed us the high-pressure spray booth where GM insisted every car build for them be tested.

The factory tour is well worth it - be sure to confirm (thru your dealer, or Australia's distributor) that they will be open. They are closed at various times for retooling, etc.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
tell us more about the "quality checks" :D

if I went to Europe that would be the first place I would go... and then maybe to Rome, and then I would get sick of traveling and go home :p

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
After a recent trip to the UK, we drove 3 hours to hethel and went on a rather exclusive tour of the lotus factory!!
A) If you have the time, maybe you could do a bit of a write-up? TIA.

B) This thread should probably go in 'General discussion.'

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don't forget when you make over here ($/£ better now) let me know, I can arrange Classic Team Lotus and factory tour. Factory tours are Wednesdays pm and ocassionally on Fridays.

Richard Parramint

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I hope they gave you a spin around the track in a 2-11
..........................:shift:....:crazyeyes

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,688 Posts
+++

Don't forget when you make over here ($/£ better now) let me know, I can arrange Classic Team Lotus and factory tour. Factory tours are Wednesdays pm and ocassionally on Fridays.

Richard Parramint
...Absolutely right. Richard was more than gracious in helping us tour Classic Team Lotus, and several other sites important to the marque. A first-rate guy, and an invaluable asset if you want to know more Lotus stuff!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I was at the Hethel 50th anniversary last year. I still have a bunch of photos on my camera that I haven't done anything with. It was very cool. Well worth the day trip (I was working in Birmingham): got a tour of the build line, saw the engineering dept, saw some of the historic race cars, got two hot laps on part of the test track by one of the Lotus techs, saw an Exige police car, and more. I thought they were doing a 60th anniversary of the marque this year. Regardless, if you get a chance, take the tour.

-Brad

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so im not alone

Its an amazing experience, and in hindsight Richard i would of taken you up on the offer. We drove past team lotus and thought "wonder what happens in there" with the big green truck

Myself, my Girlfriend and her brother got to see the exige/elise production line from the point of the trolley which they pick up a set of body parts, all the way to the end of quality checks.

I use that term loosely, but i dont think its an issue with the quality of materials used per say just the fact that yes everything is hand built and of course things are going to not be plugged in/ installed correctly etc.

Being im from australia, most nations in the world use asians as cheap labour. There WAS NOT ONE asian in the whole factory. I was suprised. You can see at each station what each person is doing. Ie fromthe start they take the alumium tub, then it goes to get the wiring harness done. Then the next station is the engine installation, then following is the brakes suspension and bolts... and so on.

I WISH you could take pictures, as you really cannot describe into words what you see and the process that goes into this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
"...Absolutely right. Richard was more than gracious in helping us tour Classic Team Lotus, and several other sites important to the marque. A first-rate guy, and an invaluable asset if you want to know more Lotus stuff!"

Thanks for that Robert, where do I send the cheque........

All the best to the both of you
Richard

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
How many people work on the assembly line and how many cars do they build in a day?

·
Registered
147 Posts
They are building somewhere between 55-65 cars a month which includes Elise, Exige, 2-11, Eurpoa and Tesla. In the process of constructing a new assembly line for the Evora.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Going to London over T-Giving and hope to take a tour there..

On Lotus' website, they show factory tours only on Wednesday.. since I will be in the air both Wednesdays.. I was wondering if I'm reading this right, or if given a heads-up, they'd be accommodating?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
You really want to contact Lotus before you arrive and make sure it is arranged and ok.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts