The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video in link as well:
'Sophisticated' Pickup Rigged To Steal Fuel - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An Orlando man was taken into custody after the pickup he was driving was found to have a hidden 800-gallon tank custom-welded into the back to steal fuel, police said.

Investigators said a gas station attendant at a Hess station located on John Young Parkway called police and said the driver of a white Ford pickup looked suspicious and lingered too long at the pump.

When officers checked the man's vehicle, they found a fuel tank professionally welded and hidden inside.

"He had an 800-gallon tank in the back of this thing and it was custom-welded," Orange County sheriff's Cmdr. Jeff Stonebreaker said. "There is some very unique equipment the way this thing is set up. It is obviously not for personal business use. It is set up for one use only, which is to steal fuel and redistribute it illegally."

The man also had a key that disabled pump meters, detectives said.

A Good Samaritan helped police capture the driver at the gas station after he attempted to flee. He was not identified.

Police said the man had such a sophisticated setup that it is doubtful he worked alone and may be part of a crime ring, Local 6's Lewis Bolden said.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
yes mad max is a lot closer than you think ... now ... lol ... forget drug dealers, fuel dealers are the new thing nowa days rotfl

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i dont see what was so wrong with having a big tank, my boat has 2 600 gallon gas tanks? am i sealing gas too?

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
i dont see what was so wrong with having a big tank, my boat has 2 600 gallon gas tanks? am i sealing gas too?
If you're transporting a highly explosive liquid like gasoline, you must have haz-mat certifications posted on the vehicle and the vehicle has to be designed to carry them safely. The truck had neither.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Wonder what kinda gas mileage he got carrying around 800+ gallons of fuel rotfl

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
isn't gas even more expensive at a marina? So, is it possible that a fillup is $6K?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
How many people set a pump and walk away? I do it but it is stupid. The guy opposite my vehicle could stop it, fill his tank, and then put it back. In busy stations this would be easy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
isn't gas even more expensive at a marina? So, is it possible that a fillup is $6K?
It depends on the marina, some are selling at or near cost to boaters.

1200 gallons x $4.25/gallon diesel = $5,100.00. 48'+ yachts with 2x600 gallon tanks like that only get 1-3 miles per gallon, too.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It depends on the marina, some are selling at or near cost to boaters.

1200 gallons x $4.25/gallon diesel = $5,100.00. 48'+ yachts with 2x600 gallon tanks like that only get 1-3 miles per gallon, too.
Whoa, yeah, I was figuring $5/gal diesel with surcharge.

5K for a jaunt in the boat would take all the fun out of it for me. I'll bet the boat sales market is even worse than housing right now!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
do they sell those keys? I'd love to have one :)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I give the guy an A for effort. As much as I hate criminals, this was pretty unique... until of course, he got caught.

·
Registered
240 Posts
At the marina I usually fill up at, the attendant says it's quite common for folks to spend over a thousand bucks for their weekend cruise. But if you stop and think about a normal weekend vacation, that's not really all that bad price wise.

As for the original post, that's very industrious of the thief. I imagine if he spent that level of effort on a real job he'd probably make just as much money though. The criminal mind always makes me wonder.

I would expect that gasoline theft is probably ratcheting upward. Time for me to invest in a couple of locking gascaps.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
At the marina I usually fill up at, the attendant says it's quite common for folks to spend over a thousand bucks for their weekend cruise. But if you stop and think about a normal weekend vacation, that's not really all that bad price wise.

As for the original post, that's very industrious of the thief. I imagine if he spent that level of effort on a real job he'd probably make just as much money though. The criminal mind always makes me wonder.

I would expect that gasoline theft is probably ratcheting upward. Time for me to invest in a couple of locking gascaps.

Locking gas cap is a joke. On most new cars you can't siphon fuel through the gas neck anymore. There is a anti rollover thing and something that stops the hose from passing freely into the tank. I used to have to siphon cars every once in a while at my old job- to put our own blend of fuel in them for whatever testing we were doing at the time. usually had to disconnect the hose from the tank to do it.

Besides, they are just drilling the tanks now if they really determined to steal the gas. I'd rather have an empty tank than a drilled one. But I'd really rather have a guy in my yard on camera that got his skull caved in with a bat when he was trying to get $18 of gas out of the tank :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I still can't picture this. 800 gallon tank is a lot, it would be pretty big. What kinda pickup did he have that could fit and carry this. Also, full, that would weigh like 5600 lbs only distributed over his rear axle. Not like it's a trailer with another set of wheels to take the load. Just can't picture it.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
In Chicago, three teenagers have been shot this week so far.....One was shot in a dispute over a bicycle....the other two were shot by gunmen riding bicycles. With gas prices so high, the drive-by shooters are riding bikes now instead of driving.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Whoa, yeah, I was figuring $5/gal diesel with surcharge.

5K for a jaunt in the boat would take all the fun out of it for me. I'll bet the boat sales market is even worse than housing right now!
Having been a boater my whole life, I'll chime in here.

$5,000 (1200 gallons) of fuel will last significantly longer than "a jaunt".

Most of the time on a larger boat is spent at dock or anchor (unless you're fishing - and specifically, trolling). You might only travel 5-10 miles in a full day of boating fun, burning < 5 gallons of fuel. Smaller boats tend to use up a lot more fuel, because they're constantly on the go - especially if you're into water sports.

Besides that, luxury item sales are rarely affected by sluggish economies. They tend to be non-cyclical in nature. I know that yacht sales right now are specifically in good shape.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts