The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what sound insulation the touring pack adds? Specifically, what the non-touring pack version does NOT have?

I have a Sport Elise, which I believe started life as a non-touring pack Elise, and I'm hoping to quiet it down a bit on long drives. I love the etymotic plugs, but they diminish enjoyment of the car since you can't hear the sounds as well. But it's loud enough without them on all-day trips that it's very fatiguing. I found a couple threads on the topic, but the most relevant ones were pretty old.

Here's a diagram:
Lotus Garage - Passenger Compartment Sound Insulation

I'm assuming non-touring does NOT have that big foam piece, #1? Can anyone confirm that, and conclusively tell me what other pieces my non-touring does not have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I can't answer your question, but if you wanna come to TX and remove my big foam piece from my car in a professional manner, you're welcome to it. The way I see it: the solution to your problem is to make your car louder so you can better hear it through the ear plugs you wear.

xtn

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
The non-touring cars do not have the foam insulation behind the rear bulkhead trim panel. As far as the other sound dampening foam, I'm not sure what is missing. I have driven my car with and without the insulation and notice a slight difference in sound level although I've never measured it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It's a waste of time. I've been in both versions of the car and I can't tell the difference. I think the real problem is the aluminum tub transmits engine and road noise...and you're sitting in it.

I experimented with Dynamat behind the rear bulkhead and was disappointed.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I can't answer your question, but if you wanna come to TX and remove my big foam piece from my car in a professional manner, you're welcome to it. The way I see it: the solution to your problem is to make your car louder so you can better hear it through the ear plugs you wear.

xtn
Mine is already out (in two pieces though). Can't tell any difference though with it removed...

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
If you are around the OC area and want to pickup the foam piece, I have one laying in my garage. You can have it....hmmm just realized you are up north. oh well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My car shows the touring package on the invoice. When I removed the rear panel - no insulation foam! :huh: Saved me the trouble of removing it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too bad I'm not closer, xtn and ZJChaser, but thanks for the offer. I would like to try it out. Looks ilke it's $147 on lotus garage.

I imagine the carpet does a fair bit, too, by absorbing the noise... like a room with carpeting or floor, especially with the HT on, which is most of the time for me.

I did test drive a touring pack car, and I swear it was a lot quieter... but then again, the top was off and mine too is quite a bit quieter sans HT...

I think I'll order the foam and give it a shot, maybe the carpet too for that matter.

Anyone remove any carpet they don't want?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Since mine is in two pieces I could ship it to you if you want to try out. Cheaper than buying new.

I have driven all three ways (HT,ST,NT). No top is the best, 0 drone and exhaust note doesn't seem as loud. Soft top dampens quite a bit too. Hard top is just plain obnoxious with the stage2 and mid rpms.

If you want I can send you photos of it. Just PM me your email address. Shipping wouldn't be much.

Do you have the track pack per chance?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey LordZ, that'd be fabulous. I do have the track pack. Any related morsels to consider?

I'll PM email address...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
It's a waste of time. I've been in both versions of the car and I can't tell the difference. I think the real problem is the aluminum tub transmits engine and road noise...and you're sitting in it
That seems to be the common impression - there really isn't any noticeable difference in sound levels.

But for the record, the sound insulation includes the foam behind the rear panel.

Blocks of foam in the area behind the "cubbies" on the sides of he dash (the part you remove to get to the alarm's antenna wire) are also in the Touring Pack.

There is carpet under the seats of the Touring but none for the base model.

Carpet up the side sills, although that shouldn't really do anything about the noise, and many people with Touring have trouble with the carpet falling down.

And last, the Touring Pack gets the lined top which is supposed to make it quieter with the top on and maybe help with the heat, although again, lots of people have had trouble with the liner coming apart from the sides (although I haven't heard of this lately).

Again, most people that have compared Base to Touring claim that they can't tell the difference. TADTS

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hey LordZ, that'd be fabulous. I do have the track pack. Any related morsels to consider?

I'll PM email address...
That is why I removed mine. :D I guess you can hack it up enough to fit in there, but right where the harness bar goes is where the foam is the thickest. Even with the rear panel off I couldn't shove it in there while the harness bar was in place.

You are more than welcome to give it a shot though. I'll check my PM's and get a shipping quote for ya. I know I'll never use it again as I can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The non-touring cars do not have the foam insulation behind the rear bulkhead trim panel. As far as the other sound dampening foam, I'm not sure what is missing. I have driven my car with and without the insulation and notice a slight difference in sound level although I've never measured it.
mine is non touring and when i installed my speakers i saw foam insulation behind that plastic panel.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Soft foam or hard thick foam? The foam in mine goes the width of the car and is probably 6inches thick on the ends.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But for the record, the sound insulation includes the foam behind the rear panel.

Blocks of foam in the area behind the "cubbies" on the sides of he dash (the part you remove to get to the alarm's antenna wire) are also in the Touring Pack.

There is carpet under the seats of the Touring but none for the base model.

Carpet up the side sills, although that shouldn't really do anything about the noise, and many people with Touring have trouble with the carpet falling down.

And last, the Touring Pack gets the lined top which is supposed to make it quieter with the top on and maybe help with the heat, although again, lots of people have had trouble with the liner coming apart from the sides (although I haven't heard of this lately).
Hey thanks Tim. Just to complete the info, I believe the touring also has carpet behind on the angled chassis panel behind the seats, too? And can you tell from the link to lotus garage which pieces are the cubby foam?

Steve

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
can you tell from the link to lotus garage which pieces are the cubby foam?
I can't really tell from the diagram but it might be part number 10 which is not shown. I seem to remember that there were some photos in the thread about extending the alarm antenna, but I can't see the photos as they are blocked by the filters here at work...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts