The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into a used 2005 Elise without the Touring Pack. Does anyone know of a way to do after market sound insulation? Also, how much noise does the insulation cut down on?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Thought it could have been my hearing loss as the cause of ^^ but my wife and kids can't tell whether I have it in or out either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't trip on toothpicks... as far as i know, no after market sound insulation.
Drive one, listen to all the noises it makes(it makes a bunch). If you can handle it, buy it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree with both assesments. The air intake is just behind your left ear and the car has lots of little squeaks and rattles to boot. Unless you're hypersenstive to the sounds of a high performance automobile, it's well worth the inconvenience. Test drive one. If you like it, get it.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Dynamat is very effective stuff. The downside is its heavy. It's great for adding sound insulation to your dishwasher, however!

I took a neighbor's son for a spin tonight. He kept yelling over the second cam, "This thing sounds awesome!" And I have the touring pack. This is a noisy car, but it doesn't bother me a bit.

Tom

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
It's not a Bentley. It's a sportscar.

·
Registered
289 Posts
There is aftermarket sound deadening.

It goes behind the bulkhead, under the seats and behind dash IIRC.

Waste of time though IMHO.

·
Registered
93 Posts
factory sound insulation

I bought a 2006 elise without the touring pack, and IMO it was too loud for long trips, so i installed some of the factory sound deadening parts. You can get the parts list for all the sound deading bits, but the main piece is a large form fitted foam piece that fits behind the rear panel on the firewall. I pulled the seats, and installed second skin damplifier pro on the floor and areas behind the seat. Installed the foam, and poly dacron in a few places.

After the installation, i measured the ambiant SPL using a hand held meter from radio shack, and there was a measurable (and audible) difference at various speeds, but not too great. generally around 7 to 10 db (weighted), measuring SPL is not easy, because you have to look at individual frequency, and speed.

Probably cost me 200.00, and a few hours of fun, so it was worth it.

FYI, dont forget to replace the crappy factory rear speakers at that time since you will have it all apart anyway, which i didnt do and wish i had.

As for weight ( i know people strip stuff out to save a few pounds) it added about 10 pounds.

Final point. I installed Goodyear Eagle F1s and this further reduced road noise.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You guys do know that if you add a few pounds to the center of the car it's not going to kill things right. To compensate how about going on a diet it's better for you and the car. That or just wear ear plugs when driving. But coming from multiple mr2's to the lotus it's actually quieter then my previous cars.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
When I did my stereo I used b-quiet sound deadening to give the rear plastic trim to make it a better platform for the speakers. As long as the interior was out I also applied it to the entire rear bulkhead and the aluminum tub behind the driver's seat. It weighs .3 lb/sq ft. I applied 2 layers to everything and added 10 lbs to the car (which was balanced by a new exhaust and battery, no visors or footrest...).

What was immediately apparent was that the overall mechanical noise and vibration of the drivetrain was greatly reduced. The exhaust and intake sucking (Green filter/no snorkel) are both much more distinct. From the passenger seat the high pitched whirr on the second cam is clearly over your outside shoulder. The front suspension sounds are more apparent. It's still loud-I wasn't trying to turn it into an SL 500-but each of the other sounds of the car is more distinct. I like.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts