The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the stereo system in my Elise. This is what I was thinking of getting from Onlinecarstereo.com - Wholesale Car Audio/Stereo Deals At Bargain Prices

Alpine iDA-X305S
Alpine SPS-510 5 1/4" Coaxial 2-Way Speaker Set x 2 (Front and Rear)
MRP-F300 Amp

I sent a message to the gentleman (Jim) who sells the adapter rings for the front to move up from a 4" to a 5.25" speaker.

Do you guys think this will work?

Thanks

Madison

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
By the way, you are right to upgrade the fronts to 5.25" and not bother upgrading the rears to 6.5". The rears are virtually useless. I spent something like $600 on my rear speakers and it did not help. The fronts are everything.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
FWIW as well, not all 5 1/4s will fit in Jim's adapter rings. I have Infiniti Kappas that do not. The 5 1/4s are probably closer to a 6" so they fall in between 5 1/4 and 6.5s..some of the other "oversized" drivers have similar basket designs that may not work. So for example, for the Kappas I went with the "4 1/2" size in the front and the "5 1/4" in the rear since they are slightly oversized.

Any upgrade is worth it-a head unit with many more options, new speakers all around help with the midrange and the overall quality, and then a simple lowend improvement (some subwoofer, a couple options now) makes the most drastic improvement. Mine sounds great now.

Do some thoughtful planning and exploring on where you will run wires and it's not too hard an install either.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That Genesis amp also provides a noticeable improvement.

Because, as I mentioned, fronts are everything, I recommend going with a slightly more expensive set of JL Audio 5.25" coaxials for the front. Just beware that they are deep and the climate control duct on the passenger side may need to be moved out of the way. However they are deep for a reason and you will hear the difference. You can shove some Alpines in the rear or even leave the rears alone, there is little you can do back there unless you're looking to do major surgery.

That last eBay link is a killer deal on the amp. If you don't buy it I might buy it myself and try to resell it on here as the ideal Lotus amp.

IMO the only decent place to put a sub is in the passenger footwell using a stealth box. The car has almost no storage as it is and sometimes I need that net in back. I went sub-less and it's been fine. The JL Audio coaxials have a fair amount of bass.

Please take pictures and keep us posted on progress.

·
Registered
663 Posts
FWIW if any of you are boston acoustics fans they are closing their car audio doors thus all Boston products for the car are on sale. I am not a crutchfield fan but check out their site for deals....... I am also not a boston acoustics fan... my wife loves their stuff & so do many people.....

I am not impressed with the numbers on the Genisis amp, I would look elsewhere
◦Rated output per channel @ 4 Ohm (14.4V): 2 x 75 Watts
◦Rated output per channel @ 2 Ohm (14.4V): 2 x 110 Watts
◦THD+ noise @ rated output: <0.1%

JL's stealthbox & isn't there a fiberglass box someone mounts between the seats on the firewall? I forget who makes that....... I would think a 3rd option would be to get the 6.5in speaker rings for the rear speakers then but a 6.5in driver w/o the tweeter. Get a amp which has a sub x-over & use the rear 6.5's as subs. Cross them off at 100-200 hz probably..... I did that years ago in a different car, made a small box & threw the 6.5 subs under my seat. Sounded better then the 12in sub I was using.....

But like mentioned..... spend all the money you can on the front speakers. Alpine's type R's seem to get good reviews, I am sure similar to JL. If you want to stick with a single brand then I would use their type R's up front & a PDX amp.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have seen people lay their own fiberglass enclosures for the firewall, but I think space is more affordable at the passenger's footwell.
Making my own right now :D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Kept the Blaupunkt head unit and bought the following items from Amazon:

Blaupunkt ProComponent Series PCA465 - Amplifier - 4-channel

JL AUDIO C2-525x 5.25" Coaxial Speakers 2-way (2 pairs)

Boss KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit

Boss SP12-100 12G OFC Speaker Wire

Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low-Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Single)

Items all cost me around $450... labor to install was around $300 at Audio Advice in La Crescenta, CA. Sounds stellar... Jim Clayton's adapter rings worked wonderfully. Good luck on your system.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
FWIW, I was an early adopter of Jim's front speaker rings in my 2005 Elise, and it was one of the first things I ordered when I bought the 2011 Elise. The factory speakers in the rear are fine for rear fill, I have them turned way down. I am running JL C5-525x in front, a JL Stealthbox, and a JL HD600/4 amplifier- head unit power to rear speakers, two amp channels to front speakers, and a bridged channel to the Stealthbox. This can be felt and heard while doing illegal speeds with the top off :D Great sound, people are amazed when they hear it that you can get that kind of sound in an open top car. The JL amp is sized perfectly, no lost seat travel and the class D amp is efficient (not a lot of wasted energy/heat) and sounds great.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The stealthbox is a good option but does take up foot room (ie purse room for my wife) and you need an external amp.

Mike and several others have run the Boss setups with good results, and the Bazooka BTA6100 is another (what I run) that is run by lots on the board. Both give you plenty of bottom end to round out the sound. Nothing crazy loud and bass heavy, but perfect to fill out the sound when driving.

The nice thing about the Elise/Exige too is you can put satellite radio antennas under the front access panels since the signals go through plastic/glass.

Install takes a bit of forethought and contortion, and can be a pain in the ass (it took me 3 days over three weekends) but isn't too bad.

At the end of the day any improvement is well worth it in these cars. I also added acoustic foam in the recesses under the front drivers to help with damping/keeping the drivers from functioning free-air so much since they're designed to work in a sealed door panel.

Also funny note that was discussed with some fellow Lotus owners this past weekend...it seems as if once you install new rear speakers, that rear panel never is quite the same...mine and several others squeak more, I guess the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
From experience:
1 - An amp is a must
2 - Rear speakers ARE useful, but you have to do some good tuning to make it that way
3 - Subwoofer is a must

I run Chuck Risen's audio system in my car (sub mounted in the firewall cubby behind the seats) and it is transformative. I highly suggest putting a sub in somewhere. Also recommend getting a line-in input for your head unit, because then you can hook up any audio device you like to it. Newer units allow you to hook up things like USB keys or hard drives, which is even cooler (and avoids the issue of additional noise inducted into the line-in.

You can see my post by clicking on the link in my sig.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have posted about it previously, but the Focal Activebus 25 is another excellent solution. 10" woofer, built in amp, fits behind the seat and is easily removable.

More than enough bass for the small cabin (you would be surprised) and no external amp or big sub box required. I have had the same setup in both of my Elise's.

Hope this is of assistance.

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
436 Posts
I recently put in one of Chuck's subwoofers... it's only on 8, but it hits hard and is light weight.

I'm using an Alpine pdx-5 and JL C2's all around. Getting 5.25 in the front was alittle work, but worth the upgrade.

Good Luck!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had a full setup with all kind of upgrade but it still didn't sound right until I added Bazooka BTA6100. It's pretty amazing for what I spent.
It is inexpensive
Doesn't take up any passenger space
Require no interior modification or any drillings

1 - 20 of 26 Posts