The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My supercharger makes horrible noises. Eaton MP62. Higher the RPM, higher the rattle. Sounds like a metallic rattle almost like rocks or marbles are inside my supercharger. Anybody know what this is? Ill will post audio tomorrow.
Should I be driving the car? I dont want **** shooting into my intake.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Roots blowers tend to sound that way... My TRD blower that I recently installed on my Tacoma, which is the same design as our blowers, even came with a big tag that stated it's normal for the supercharger to make rattling and clunking noises and to not bring the unit in for warranty due such noises...

Now if you have a higher pitch rattling noise, it could be your bypass valve.

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That sounds like detonation!
Dyno the car and get the A/F ratio. In the meantime stay off the boost.

Does this happen when your on boost? if so what psi does the noise start happening?

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Ah... I overlooked the higher the RPM, the higher the rattle part... I agree with Mark, detonation... When the 2zz detonates, it sounds like a folgers can half full of marbles...

The rattling I was referring to earlier is at idle and they all do that- some louder than others...

Good luck,

Phil

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
+1000000

If you have 100 octane nearby see if it calms it down(Dont drive it imo)

Get a wideband on there and see what your AF is at, ping that hard is most likely causing damage. Richen up that AF mix.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,395 Posts
He is running a Eaton MP62 - is it wrong to assume he as an '07 S and this is all under warranty? He should go get it checked out before buying diag tools etc

If no, what are the details like has it been flashed with non-stock software? Running smaller or stock pulley? Lots of miles (need to change fuel filter)?

Edit: messages posted after mine leads me to believe everyone already knows him but me. ;) Carry on! :)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
detonation is normally between 4000 and 5000 , but if you have swapped to 9:1 compression it'll have to be retuned, i hadn't realised you'd done that yet, give me a call.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not lower compression. I've got stock compression with a built head. MWR valves and MWR springs (higher spring rate). Also got MWR rod bearings but that does nothing. I'm running a BWR kit with Charlie X tune. Bosch injectors, Eaton MP62.

The noise is between 4-5k and it's loud. Goes away when I stomp on it. Maybe I just can't hear it because of the exhaust. Sounds like marbles in a can... I took pictures of my plugs... Will attach those shortly. Figured plugs should show detonation. Lots of little brown spots on the porcelain. Take a look at the pictures.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
could be slightly off in the fuelling, i haven't dyno'd a BWR kit yet so i don't know how it'll run, the 06 katana is set rich so it should be ok. it'd be suprising if the BWR kit wasn't able to run as much timing as a katana.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
if you're saying you see little brown specs on the plugs, then you FOR SURE HAVE DETONATION!!!! You gotta get that fixed. Sounds like the tune is a far cry off for your application...

-P

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Im hoping you just got some bad gas and that its not your setup.

Good luck

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Talked to will on the phone, having a new tune set out to him with slight less timing, the , since other BWR owners are running my tune just fine its something specific to his car or gas so we're chatting about that too, he's going to try 93 octane see if that helps while the new ecu is delivered, i hate doing tune by mail but canada is a far ways away.He does have the MWR springs but that shouldn't make too much difference that i know of. he was running around with the boost not on properly, which may have caused the learn to incorrectly compensate, so now its on properly it has to relearn.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Good Job CX-

What kind of timing are you running underpressure in the 4-6K rpm range?

-P

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
11 - 17, depending on the load and rpm.

it could just be a bad tank of fuel, happens all the time, but i'm sending a spare ecu just in case.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Talked to will on the phone, having a new tune set out to him with slight less timing, the , since other BWR owners are running my tune just fine its something specific to his car or gas so we're chatting about that too, he's going to try 93 octane see if that helps while the new ecu is delivered, i hate doing tune by mail but canada is a far ways away.He does have the MWR springs but that shouldn't make too much difference that i know of. he was running around with the boost not on properly, which may have caused the learn to incorrectly compensate, so now its on properly it has to relearn.

hey do you also do the bwr kit ecu ??? i thought you didn't:shrug:

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
The BWR kit is basically the same as the sector/greddy kit, the manifold i saw just looks like a copy of the greddy manifold with a different colour and name, the alternator is in a different place, only the tune is different really.

i just haven't run a car with that setup on the dyno myself, but there are three cars running around my SC based tune replacing the PES NA based tune, so far as that i know of only will has had the detonation issue but i think its something local to his car.

so yes its possible to replace, but its basically under the premise it having an indentical same spec to the katana.

the bemani 05 tune is pretty close to being finished i think now, we did one road tuning sessions with it yesterday and i'm hoping i cleared up the last of the problem spots.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The BWR kit is basically the same as the sector/greddy kit, the manifold i saw just looks like a copy of the greddy manifold with a different colour and name, the alternator is in a different place, only the tune is different really.

i just haven't run a car with that setup on the dyno myself, but there are three cars running around my SC based tune replacing the PES NA based tune, so far as that i know of only will has had the detonation issue but i think its something local to his car.

so yes its possible to replace, but its basically under the premise it having an indentical same spec to the katana.

the bemani 05 tune is pretty close to being finished i think now, we did one road tuning sessions with it yesterday and i'm hoping i cleared up the last of the problem spots.
from what bwr claims in its website, 4 intake of the intake manifold, i think, is bigger to other competitors as they state , which can lead to problems. so maybe you should take a look at this as far the rations is concerned!!!

do we know what injectors does katana kit uses ? which one form the two kits injectors were noisy ? i can't recall.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts