The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about adding removable carpet pieces for over the exposed aliminum
floor

I know some have done that. I can google but any have a good source?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Also interested.

I know of one on here who never ordered carpet for that spot specifically, but had leftovers from when his first order of replacement mats was messed up or something.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. Had that in my old car bit I didn't do it

Found something called ez flex auto carpeting. 12oz. Really cheap

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Talk to [email protected]

Joe there sent me some samples of some fantastic automotive carpet. The same plush, yet thin stuff they use in ultra-luxury vehicles. I am planning on doing the same for my car soon and plan on ordering through JPM. They have done some amazing interior work for me in the past.

Home Depot or Lowe's won't give you much to work with. Stuff that is plush yet thin enough just doesn't quite exist in home flooring.

jpm-coachworks-lamborghini-diablo-vt-roadster-interior-alcantara-leather-edelman-007 | Flickr: Intercambio de fotos

·
Registered
668 Posts
hey swinglo, once you get that done, post some pics, I would also like to do that to my car :) Similar to what tesla has.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It is my next project in a few weeks. Hopefully done right when Spring rolls around here. :) I'll be sure to post photos as well!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Is it the outdoor stuff? When I was looking for carpet I had in mind more of the plush nice stuff that I had in my Porsche before I got the Lotus. That's why I love the stuff that JPM sent me. Fits the bill exactly.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is it the outdoor stuff? When I was looking for carpet I had in mind more of the plush nice stuff that I had in my Porsche before I got the Lotus. That's why I love the stuff that JPM sent me. Fits the bill exactly.

This is not outdoor stuff, but it works perfectly for the application. This is just an option for those who wants to spend the right money on the right place. Of course, there is nothing wrong to fancy your lotus with good amount of money...

·
Registered
606 Posts
This is not outdoor stuff, but it works perfectly for the application. This is just an option for those who wants to spend the right money on the right place. Of course, there is nothing wrong to fancy your lotus with good amount of money...
Not putting it down in any way. :D Your interior is what inspired me to try and do carpeting in mine. When I went to home depot I couldn't find anything that seemed to match what I was looking for. Do you happen to remember the type/brand that you got?

*EDIT* forgot to mention that the carpet that I am considering is something like $50 for a yard, but the yard is 60" long. Assuming not using carpet under the stock floormats, then one yard would cover the entire tub front and rear from what I measured out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not putting it down in any way. :D Your interior is what inspired me to try and do carpeting in mine. When I went to home depot I couldn't find anything that seemed to match what I was looking for. Do you happen to remember the type/brand that you got?

*EDIT* forgot to mention that the carpet that I am considering is something like $50 for a yard, but the yard is 60" long. Assuming not using carpet under the stock floormats, then one yard would cover the entire tub front and rear from what I measured out.

It is a very reasonable price. Good luck for the installation! And please post some pictures if possible!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Google something called ez-flex carpet from
Online fabric store. 17.00 a yard. Ordering today

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got my carpet in the mail. Ordered this:

Black Automotive EZ-Flex Carpet - $17 | onlinefabricstore.net

Stuff is great. Nice and thin, but not too thin. Comforms perfectly (no backing). Wouldn't use it for mats, but will work well over the aluminum floor ribbing and side sills.

Got two yards - $34. Got two so I can have a long continuous run for the side sills. Will most likely have tons leftover that I'll sell here.

·
Registered
606 Posts
So here's my attempt. I also ended up leather wrapping the side sills myself. It wasn't easy. May redo it as there is a small wrinkle that may drive me insane in the future. :facepalm

For weight weenies. This added roughly 2 pounds. This **** is LIGHT.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts