The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Elise came with front brake pads that were worn 3x faster on the inside than the outside. I attempted to rectify this by pulling the inside pad out, pumping the brakes a few times to get the piston to come out, compressing it again, and repeating a few times to try to loosen it up, but whenever I pushed the piston back in it sounded and felt like there was rust buildup in there. So, while it seems to be working better (the second cycle moved much easier than the first, and the third was better after that), I should probably just rebuild them.

So, looking around, I can't seem to find any rebuild kits other than the Eliseparts one (Elise Parts - Braking Systems - Misc. - Caliper Refurbishment Kit). Does _anyone_ in the US sell rebuild kits? Even those don't have new dust seals, and, as a roadgoing car, I need those, if mine are worn.

The only thing I can find is that BOE sells just the seals here: BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products But I suspect that my pistons may be rusted on the inside and it would be good to just replace those too. I could do the expensive vented ones, but that seems overkill for my purposes of simply restoring my stock braking ability.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
That's really all you need is the BOE seals, and they sell vented pistons too that are great.

If you need a set of stock pistons, I have a used set I will sell you. I replaced mine with the vented ones. PM me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I might do that. My hardware's all pretty rusty so I was hoping for the more-full rebuild kit, but I could probably just sand everything of mine down and call it good... I'll definitely sand down the whole bore.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
That's all there really is besides a bleeder and new bolts/pins, at that point you replace the caliper.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's just a lot of money after you take the exchange rate into account and add the overseas shipping, plus a bunch of delay. I come from the Miata world where I can buy brand new calipers from Mazda for around the price of the eliseparts rebuild kit.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Centric makes replacement pistons and seal sets which are available on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
It's just a lot of money after you take the exchange rate into account and add the overseas shipping, plus a bunch of delay.
Eliseparts ship same day - I'd be surprised if you don't get the kit within a week. I have bought a truck load of stuff from them and it always arrives within a week - and I live in Australia.

I come from the Miata world where I can buy brand new calipers from Mazda for around the price of the eliseparts rebuild kit.
There are closing in on, if not more than, one million Miata's... there are probably 500,000 or more in the US alone. Compare that to probably 5,000 Elises in the US... volume has a big impact on prices.

Centric makes replacement pistons and seal sets which are available on ebay.
For the Elise or generic? I will only buy my brake stuff from known suppliers directly... I don't need to save a couple of dollars on critical items.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
For the Elise or generic? I will only buy my brake stuff from known suppliers directly... I don't need to save a couple of dollars on critical items.
They are Lotus caliper specific.
Centric makes a lot of aftermarket brake parts and supplies other aftermarket companies such as Stoptech. I think their rep is pretty good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The stock front pistons are a thick aluminum. They will not have rusted and will be just fine. The sound and feel you describe could just be some debris in the thin gap around the piston. I suppose the piston could have been scraped as a result, but they do look pretty tough. There is nothing but the two seals per piston as far as rebuilding goes. The outer seal is more of a wiper. There are no boots. The front calipers are incredibly simple and you will be surprised at how easy it is to take apart.

The stock rear Brembo's on the other hand .....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up buying the steel pistons and new seals and rebuilt them. It was quite easy. I'm hoping there's not another problem in the caliper that's blocking fluid flow or something.

I also have rebuild kits here for the rears but I'm more scared of rebuilding those so I've been putting it off...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts