The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All:
Does anyone have any updating information as to the dealer allocations for Southern California? When I made my deposit and specs, I was under the impression that Newport European was in a position to be allocated a good number of the cars. I was advised that the allocations were to be based upon the last few years of Espirit sales.
Having read that Galpin will be receiving some 7-9 cars a month and that Desert European will also be receiving steady numbers, I am extremely concerned.
Any information will be highly appreciated.
- dechien
P.S. Or will all be revealed on August 15th? The latest project date for Lotus's computer tracking system to function?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Just my opinion, but I believe that the size of a dealer's allocation is something that is not going to be revealed to the casual observer. After some time passes and more posters get their cars, we may get a sense of how things are playing out, but keep in mind that Elisetalkers only represent a fraction of the new Elise owners, so we may not have good representation from all dealers or enough data points to make accurate guesses. And even if we figure out what happened over the first few months, Lotus may change the allocation strategy for future deliveries as production increases and new dealers are added and other factors come into play.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have to wonder if the dealers that are most cagey about delivery dates and actual hard numbers are the ones feeling a bit... small.

Maybe they're worried all the deposit holders will jump ship when they find out just how far back #100 really is. If it's true that some dealers have 150 or so deposits, at $2k each, that's some real money and must feel nice to sit on.

So far the dealers that have said "We're getting X cars this month!" have had something to be proud of.

If Symbolic gets six cars in the first week alone, and most other dealerships ZERO for the first month, well, some disparity will come to light soon enough.

That's why this forum is invaluable for sharing such information... we have a significant number of Elise buyers here from a good cross-section of dealerships. All this stuff will come to light.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Recent release from Lotus had (CEO)Hale stating that some dealers would be getting as much as 140 cars a year...and others as little as 10. Where your dealer fits into that chart should be known by him when the upcoming computerized info is supplied to him soon.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
All dealers know their allocations now. Whether they want to share that info, doubtful.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allocation Clarification

Here's my dilemma. I've had a deposit with Newport European since October of '03, and faxed in my specs this past March or so. I am told that I am #29 on the list. Please keep in mind that all of this transpired PRIOR to my even having heard of Desert European and Galpin.

So what it sounds like now is that someone could have gone into Desert European and/or Galpin this week, and receive a car ahead of me? There is just something truly wrong there.

As to the allocation question, my understanding was that there's some 2200 Elises to be built the first year for the U.S. Market. Those have to be divided amongst the dealerships. Is there any reason why the newer dealership will receive an extraordinary amount of cars? Or am I missing some logic here?

Not upset or anything. Just simply want to understand.

- dechien

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although I've been hanging out here for a while, this is my first post. I just wanted to drop in my 2 cents.

I had never even HEARD of this car until January '04 at the L.A. auto show. (Although my better half claims he's known for a while but never mentioned it!) In March '04, I started checking into dealers and their presumed delivery times. I contacted Desert Euro and am #22 on their list with an estimated delivery date of November/December '04. If the car actually does arrive this year (which I have real doubts about), you guys will be the first to know.

So to answer your question, I guess it IS possible that someone at one of these dealerships (who ordered a couple of months later than you) COULD get their car before you although it's doubtful that someone ordering this late in the game would still get '04 delivery.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Although I've been hanging out here for a while, this is my first post. I just wanted to drop in my 2 cents.

I had never even HEARD of this car until January '04 at the L.A. auto show. (Although my better half claims he's known for a while but never mentioned it!) In March '04, I started checking into dealers and their presumed delivery times. I contacted Desert Euro and am #22 on their list with an estimated delivery date of November/December '04. If the car actually does arrive this year (which I have real doubts about), you guys will be the first to know.

So to answer your question, I guess it IS possible that someone at one of these dealerships (who ordered a couple of months later than you) COULD get their car before you although it's doubtful that someone ordering this late in the game would still get '04 delivery.
The July 7th ' Executive' Letter states that
allocations from Oct. to Dec., with delivery being Nov. to Jan., won't be revealed to dealers until the computerized info center is set up sometime this month.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Randy Chase said:
All dealers know their allocations now. Whether they want to share that info, doubtful.

well, if they know the allocation it is my opinion that they kinda OWE it to people who dropped deposits to tell them if there is a chance in hell of getting a car. of course they don't pay me any heed whatsoever. i shall live on in ignorance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts