The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would make a thread with our winter project. Plans are to make this a fun car which we will track 7-8 times a year. Not looking to extract the max amount of power but went with the BOE400 for the stability of the intercooled system. So we are targeting lower power levels than we could otherwise achieve. Maybe some point down the road, we will do some more supporting mods and then bring up boost more.

This will be the first real car project I get to do with my son (14). This will be his car to drive when he gets his license, so I want him to appreciate what it means to work on it and build it yourself.

Want to thank @eldonz for all the advice along the way. Now we get to do the fun part!

So for a short list here is what we are doing.

BOE400
Surge Tank
Fidanza lightweight flywheel
ACT HD clutch
Stainless clutch hose and MWR clutch push rod
Header install
Blackwatch Suspension bushings
Innokenetic FastArms
While the clam is off the front, going to replace blower resistor

Some other odds and ends.

Last night we got the clam pulled. No thanks to one of the Rivnuts being stripped out on the diffuser. Had to cut the head off the bolt to get it out.....Nothing ever goes easy ;)

·
Registered
2005 Elise
358 Posts
Looking forward to seeing these updates!

Do you have jack stands under the rear subframe as well? I would not be comfortable with where the jack stands are now, and it is not a suggested location. As the car is leaned on and the suspension compresses, those outer A-arms will move.

Reactions: GDBB

·
Banned
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
2,780 Posts
Looking forward to seeing these updates!

Do you have jack stands under the rear subframe as well? I would not be comfortable with where the jack stands are now, and it is not a suggested location. As the car is leaned on and the suspension compresses, those outer A-arms will move.
He’s gonna have to move them anyways to change suspension bushings I’m sure he knows, but good tip that it’s not on a proper jacking stand point.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I have to move them. Had to put them there to get the diffuser off. Thank you though!

·
2006 Exige
1,340 Posts
Your son is gonna have a sweet car! 400hp is no joke, but he'll be fine with the track experience and sim time! Great father/son project. Have fun and enjoy!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your son is gonna have a sweet car! 400hp is no joke, but he'll be fine with the track experience and sim time! Great father/son project. Have fun and enjoy!

No...we are shooting for 300ish to start. Then if I want to do more mods required for more power, we can go that route. Going w/ the Rev400 was overkill from the start, but gives us the room to expand down the road and worse case just gives us a more stable platform if we keep lower levels.

This lotus may just be the car I actually keep for a while. Been changing out cars yearly lately, even now. But since I have had this, I have really fallen in love with it on MANY levels.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Shameless plug. 😆 If you still have the stock radiator in place, now would be a good time to replace it with an all aluminum. I just happen to have a Pro Alloy Radiator for sale, if interested, please PM me.

Reactions: philethier

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
No...we are shooting for 300ish to start. Then if I want to do more mods required for more power, we can go that route. Going w/ the Rev400 was overkill from the start, but gives us the room to expand down the road and worse case just gives us a more stable platform if we keep lower levels.

This lotus may just be the car I actually keep for a while. Been changing out cars yearly lately, even now. But since I have had this, I have really fallen in love with it on MANY levels.
Based on my experience with 350 whp, I would strongly suggest favoring reliability and sticking to the 300 whp range.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shameless plug. 😆 If you still have the stock radiator in place, now would be a good time to replace it with an all aluminum. I just happen to have a Pro Alloy Radiator for sale, if interested, please PM me.
Radiator was already upgraded. Car had a lot of upgrades when I got it. Just nothing major was done power wise.

Based on my experience with 350 whp, I would strongly suggest favoring reliability and sticking to the 300 whp range.
agreed...

all the "supporting mods" do is expose other weaknesses with the motor.
Thank you both for confirming that I am going to right direction. Eldon, Fred from Blackwatch and Andrew from BOE all gave what I consider good advice after hearing what I was looking for. I already have a 800+hp car. I am not looking to turn the lotus into that. I just want to bring it's power up to where the smiles on the pulls are equal to the smiles in the curves.

If at some point I want to go more with the car, the platform is always there. But it seems like the 1.8 is much like other platforms. Above a certain threshold, power upgrades start breaking other things down the line and you start spending a lot more.

Top of motor stripped today and intake manifold off. Boy, I spent about 30 min trying to figure out why the intake would not come off. Did not realize there was a lower bolt you cant see without removing throttle body. No biggie. Just like any other project, you just start removing what you can and eventually I saw it.

·
Administrator
12,652 Posts
Reactions: thebuzzard

·
Banned
2,780 Posts
You may as well just pull the entire motor out to change the clutch at this point. Will be a lot easier. Also, I stripped my fidanza flywheel at 15ft lbs on the pressure plate bolts today. So take that for what it’s worth but they’re junk. I threw mine in the garbage.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
You may as well just pull the entire motor out to change the clutch at this point. Will be a lot easier. Also, I stripped my fidanza flywheel at 15ft lbs on the pressure plate bolts today. So take that for what it’s worth but they’re junk. I threw mine in the garbage.
Why do you think pulling the motor than just dropping the trans would be easier?

I've had a fidanza flywheel in my car since 2014 with different clutch diaphragms and never had a problem torquing problem.

Later,
Eldon

·
Banned
2,780 Posts
Why do you think pulling the motor than just dropping the trans would be easier?

I've had a fidanza flywheel in my car since 2014 with different clutch diaphragms and never had a problem torquing problem.

Later,
Eldon
My comment still stands, as it’s easier to do a clutch pulling the motor, tons more room, and easier to stab and bolt up, plus give you a lot more room to clean up other items that are usually impossible to get too.
And the fidanza is junk. Not going to change my mind about that, aluminum junk, and the machining is piss poor. I just ordered Fred’s which is all steel and won’t have to worry about a crappy design failing which I should have done in the first place but thought I’d give all the rave reviews a shot, but now the more I look at others experiences, it confirms what I found with mine.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
My comment still stands, as it’s easier to do a clutch pulling the motor, tons more room, and easier to stab and bolt up, plus give you a lot more room to clean up other items that are usually impossible to get too.
And the fidanza is junk. Not going to change my mind about that, aluminum junk, and the machining is piss poor. I just ordered Fred’s which is all steel and won’t have to worry about a crappy design failing which I should have done in the first place but thought I’d give all the rave reviews a shot, but now the more I look at others experiences, it confirms what I found with mine.
Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Pulling the motor requires more unnecessary work which includes making sure the coolant system is properly filled. I've also found no difficulty in needing more room to work on the flywheel while the motor was in-situ.

Sorry about your issue with the flywheel. I've used Fidanza since the mid 80s without any issues. I think what we are seeing is a trend that is going to continue to occur with many parts as vendors try to reduce manufacturing costs.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
. I think what we are seeing is a trend that is going to continue to occur with many parts as vendors try to reduce manufacturing costs.

Later,
Eldon

Have a feeling this has been coming for a long time. Didn’t start in Canada until 1987, or Free Trade. Big business buying other big business, stock market, real estate speculation etc.

We need regionalism, stop this trade capitalism society. Close the boarders within counties/provinces/states and look after your neighbors. Locally, we have lost all out machine shops, bearing sellers, metal plating, and even all the corner stores (20 years ago there were 25 corner stores). Online shopping and covid has decimated this all. If minimum wage followed inflation, $40/hr.
Why many Scandinavian countries have the highest level of happiness, in 1950 it was the good old US of A.

I digress, good project. Nice to have kids, hold on to him.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Continued with stripping stuff down. Figured I would pull old exhaust off. New header going on. Then looking around at the 'big picture' I figured it would be better to keep taking stuff apart with the SC not in the way.

I am doing suspension bushings and clutch/flywheel and it looks like it will be a lot nicer to work with less stuff in the way.

I started stripping the rear suspension and REALLY wish I had broken the axle bolts when the car was still on the ground! They are torqued quite tight.

Did a few dumb things, but live and learn. Just keep plugging forward.

·
Banned
2,780 Posts
Continued with stripping stuff down. Figured I would pull old exhaust off. New header going on. Then looking around at the 'big picture' I figured it would be better to keep taking stuff apart with the SC not in the way.

I am doing suspension bushings and clutch/flywheel and it looks like it will be a lot nicer to work with less stuff in the way.

I started stripping the rear suspension and REALLY wish I had broken the axle bolts when the car was still on the ground! They are torqued quite tight.

Did a few dumb things, but live and learn. Just keep plugging forward.
Yep, 220NM if I remember correctly. A friend of mine did the same thing. Not realizing the car is so light, Then he took a air impact to the axle nuts with brake and in gear. Front wasn’t chocked and when he hit it with the air hammer it shifted the entire car backwards off the rear jackstands and fell to the floor. Luckily no part of him was under the car but the jackstands went up into the exhaust / oil pan and ruined them both. Fun times…

1 - 20 of 347 Posts