The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much space is under the seats, as in to put something between the seats and the floor. I imagine the driver's side has more, but haven't seen anything on this through searching. I'm thinking about upgrading my audio and while I know there's a lot on that topic, it doesn't seem like something that's been revisited in awhile and newer amps offer some really compact packages (there's an Alpine 8" sub that's only 3" thick). Thanks to anyone who has this info.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
204 Posts
Does anyone know how much space is under the seats, as in to put something between the seats and the floor. I imagine the driver's side has more, but haven't seen anything on this through searching. I'm thinking about upgrading my audio and while I know there's a lot on that topic, it doesn't seem like something that's been revisited in awhile and newer amps offer some really compact packages (there's an Alpine 8" sub that's only 3" thick). Thanks to anyone who has this info.
There is very little space under the seats. If I had to guess I think there is a half inch to an inch space. I had an amp and new speakers added to my Elise and they put the amp behind the driver seat. Even behind the seat there was so little room back there I had to go back twice for them to get it into the right position so the seat would go all the way back. They never did get it in the right position so I ended up removing both seats and putting it behind the passenger seat. It's not secured to anything but it's so tight back there it will not move.

I have a JL Audio MX600/3 amp.
MX600/3 - Marine Audio - Amplifiers - MX - JL Audio

The sub is the Chuck Risen one that goes behind the seats. Borrowed the sub-woofer picture from another post.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen drivers seat tracks for sale that advertise 3 inches more headroom by lowering the seat. I realize there's not much space under there, but 3 inches is surprisingly little. I realize some of that extra headroom is changing the angle of the seat, but if products are lowering the seat by that much, there must be something under there.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I've seen drivers seat tracks for sale that advertise 3 inches more headroom by lowering the seat. I realize there's not much space under there, but 3 inches is surprisingly little. I realize some of that extra headroom is changing the angle of the seat, but if products are lowering the seat by that much, there must be something under there.
It is all by changing the angle of the seat. I can't even fit my hand under the lowest part of the seat, and I have very skinny hands.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
204 Posts
It is all by changing the angle of the seat. I can't even fit my hand under the lowest part of the seat, and I have very skinny hands.
How do you change the angle of the seat on the Elise? I don't see any adjustment to do that. The passenger seat has no adjustment from what I can tell and the driver seat only goes forward and back.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Changing the angle of the seat is surprisingly easy and cheap. Longer bolts for the front and a stack of washers between the front track and the seat pan. LOL, just saying... :facepalm

·
Registered
2005 Elise
204 Posts
Changing the angle of the seat is surprisingly easy and cheap. Longer bolts for the front and a stack of washers between the front track and the seat pan. LOL, just saying... :facepalm
Ok, then I am not crazy and missed a stock adjustment method. People still write "LOL" online?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I have not measured, but both the driver's and passenger's seats have very little space under them. When something gets under there it is very difficult to retrieve. No way is there 3 inches. I'd guess that there is about 1 inch.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
809 Posts
I believe this method was even mentioned in an interview with a Lotus guy on Sands Museum...

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
Washers are heavy. I've used lighter materials to get the seat angle to my liking.

San

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Washers are heavy. I've used lighter materials to get the seat angle to my liking.

San
Titanium Inserts for Angled Seat Adjustment (TIASA) is what you are referring to?

Agent_86, how short are you? Maybe you can just jack the whole seat up on all four corners to get the space you need. Remember to leave some extra space to allow the seat to move too. I think the consensus is to put the amp somewhere else like behind the passenger seat. You could also put it under the passenger seat if you wanted to jack it up but seriously, you are better just doing what everyone else did when they finished their analysis for this similar project.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Not enough room to fit your hand, but just enough for crap to fall there and slide around. Such a PITA. And trying to reach anything from the front of the seat is a no go. The adjust bar is in your way. I usually use my front plate I keep in the net to push things out from the back to the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kmhepler

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
How do you change the angle of the seat on the Elise?
I was referring to the TallRails that net you "3 inches" of headroom that someone mentioned earlier. It is an aftermarket seat rail that leans the seat back a tad for taller drivers. You need to be tall in the torso though to get the best use.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
809 Posts
The TallRails actually raise the front of the seat as you incline it more. Both rear and front start off lower, though, because the adjustment slides are removed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Inokinetics sells a kit called "TallRails" that gains 2 to 3 inches of heard room. The kit costs $219.99. Here's the link in case you're interested: https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/tallrails?category=Interior/Safety.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I've very short so I raised the seat by getting 1"x1" steel tubing at Home Depot, and making a square measuring exactly 15"x16" on center. The tubing came with holes drilled exactly every inch so they lined up perfectly with the bolt holes in the frame of the Elise where the seat is anchored. Since I made the square by putting one set of tubes on top of the other, this raised the seat 2 inches (I said I was short). Anyway it cost me about $30 in parts for the tubing and longer bolts/washers. If anybody is interested in knowing more, just PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
Inokinetics sells a kit called "TallRails" that gains 2 to 3 inches of heard room. The kit costs $219.99. Here's the link in case you're interested: https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/tallrails?category=Interior/Safety.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I've very short so I raised the seat by getting 1"x1" steel tubing at Home Depot, and making a square measuring exactly 15"x16" on center. The tubing came with holes drilled exactly every inch so they lined up perfectly with the bolt holes in the frame of the Elise where the seat is anchored. Since I made the square by putting one set of tubes on top of the other, this raised the seat 2 inches (I said I was short). Anyway it cost me about $30 in parts for the tubing and longer bolts/washers. If anybody is interested in knowing more, just PM me.
Do you mount the seat itself through to the original mounting points in the chassis (essentially a spacer)? Or are you mounting to the Home Depot 'Motorsports' tubing?

If its the latter you probably want to keep in mind the seatbelt anchor is on the seat. And the tubing is super **** quality. :|

So if you were in a proper crash you could rip your seat off. Or the box collapses and you move forward a ton.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts