The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past year I've experimented with a couple of different shift knobs in my Elise, but each time come to the conclusion that Lotus stock knob is the best. My latest experiment with the Sparco 77 knob didn't even last a day. It's a beautiful piece of work, but it doesn't sit right on the stalk, even with a spacer inserted. Really hard to get it tight enough because you need to install it higher than usual to make sure you can pull up on the reverse gear lifter on our shifters. Moreover, once you do have it installed, it sits pretty high up in the air compared to stock, which some people might like but it was too high for me.

Too bad, it's a sweet looking shift knob, especially with the red painted center console and A/C surround.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Wow... that's a really huge..........knob .....you've got there ! :crazyeyes

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Looks like a clown car shifter.

I still love the factory one and have not seen anything I've liked better. I think its one of the coolest factory shift knobs out and one of the many parts of the car I really like (pedals, hinges, etc)

Bav: Re-enforcer makes a nice difference. I've put a couple in for local people.
I also recently switched to Redline and have noticed that surprisingly the shifter engages easier now as well. With that, plus re-enforver, plus "Stan mod" it would feel as good as any other car (actually with the two shifter mods and without changing the fluid it does)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've done the two major shifter reinforcements and they really did help improve the feel / stability of the shifter.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
holy crap! that is a very nice ... case.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
What an amazing case......Are you supposed to take the knob with you when you park? :D

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I thought the "Stan mod" was the re-enforcer basically....
Nope. It's seperate. They both perform the same function- stiffening up the shifter area, but go in different spots. I've been in a car with both and it was butter smooth. Been in a car with just the re-enforcer and it was fine too (but seemed to start out better in the first place- newer exige S) but haven't been in one with just the Stan mod. I'm sure it makes a good improvement all by itself though seeing how it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts