The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not great at math, but if I figured correctly, a set of SSR wheels and A048 tires tallies out to $2044 before shipping and tax.

Is there any reason these wouldn't be a good match for a non-LSS equiped Elise? It would be the weight and rubber of an LSS car for a little less price, and you'd have a whole spare set of Lotus wheels in the garage. I like that.

How significant are the LSS adjustable dampers and adjustable ride-height springs? Is the LSS geometry necessary to go from 5.5" to 6.5" fronts, or can either car take either width?

My racing skilz are so unworthy of the Elise to begin with, I have much to learn and much to practice before squeezing out that last 1% of grip. I would gladly trade some minor ride tweaks for a whole set of spare wheels, unless it's altogether ill-advised.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Ground Loop said:
How significant are the LSS adjustable dampers and adjustable ride-height springs? Is the LSS geometry necessary to go from 5.5" to 6.5" fronts, or can either car take either width?
I'd imagine the shocks and springs make a significant difference in the performance of the car. They are, after all, "track tuned" by Lotus.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Given the insignificant difference in the SSR rim weights vs. the sports pack wheels, I think anyone interested in light rims with the idea of replacing the standard stock ones would be throwing away their money. The sports suspension is calibrated to the rims and car as a whole and is certainly worth more than the few hundred difference between the sports pack wheels and the SSRs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
From experience in Europe do not put A048 type tyres on your elise without stiffening the suspension at least to the lotus sport level. If you do fit A048s you risk being able to reach the bumpstops in hard cornering (without hitting a bump) this is not going to make the handling good and stands a good chance of throwing you off the road as your spring rate suddenly changes from a normal spring rate to a near as dammit infinite spring rate as you hit the bump stop.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting points, all. Thanks for the detail. A good chunk of the price is to get the Lotus magic voodoo suspension setup, so I'm not inclined to go dorking with it.

Perhaps SSR will have a matching 6.5" version for non-LSS drivers.

Personally, I'd like to have a spare set of wheels for quick recovery from a flat or whatever. Having the stock Lotus wheels shelved all minty fresh and curb-ding free would also help keep resale value. Just the thought of parallel parking the Elise against a high curb keeps me up at night.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts

Our 3 piece rims will be available in both standard and sport sizes. They are light and strong. Ours will be as light as the sport rims - maybe lighter. Plus you can choose from many finishes. <i>Stop by our shop if you'd like to check out this wheel in person.</i>

ACP in Australia has actually fit a sport wheel/tire (OZ wheel/A048) to a standard suspension 111R. I don't know if he has posted any comments about adverse handling.

<b>Lotus does NOT recommend putting the sport wheel/tire on a std suspension.</b>

Elise Wheels from Sector 111

·
Registered
228 Posts
Shinoo, I would think there would be significant demand for inexpensive wheels for snow tires. Especially since no one will be getting cars untill January apparently...

·
Registered
485 Posts
can someone please explain why you 'can't' run LSS wheels on a non-LSS car? I dont understand why this is a problem.

TIA

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
CrashTestDummy said:
can someone please explain why you 'can't' run LSS wheels on a non-LSS car? I dont understand why this is a problem.

TIA
The standard suspension would be overwhelmed by the grip of the AO48's resulting in the suspension hitting the bump stops regularly thereby creating instability.

·
Registered
485 Posts
_JD_ said:
The standard suspension would be overwhelmed by the grip of the AO48's resulting in the suspension hitting the bump stops regularly thereby creating instability.
I find that hard to believe. I have been autocrossing since 1990 in many differnt cars wiht all kinds of wheel set-ups and never heard anything like that/this. The spring rates arent that different.

242 lbs/in front, 343 lbs/in rear for standard
271 lbs/in front, 371 lbs/in rear for LSS

Even if it was trippled it wouldnt cause problems, I have done it.

anyone else have an idea?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I intend on eventually getting the SSR wheels. They are lighter than the LSS wheels even if not by much. The real reason I opted out of LSS is because I knew better aftermarket solutions would become available. Also I wanted to experience the car with a standard street setup.

Consider the following:

LSS gets you:
Track suspension - adjustable with shims for height only.
LSS wheels.

If you go aftermarket here's what you gain:
Lighter SSR wheels.
You get to keep your stock wheels/tires.
You can opt to get a fully adjustable suspension for both street and track use;
on top of all that it will not be much more expensive to go the aftermarket route. If you consider the fact that you get to keep your stock wheels it might even be considerably cheaper to go the aftermarket route.

·
Registered
314 Posts
But don't forget that LSS also gives you a warranty!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
No one else is gonna say it, so I will.

You're screwing the factory out of the minimal profit they might make on the Elise by going aftermarket instead of using LSS.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
transio said:

You're screwing the factory out of the minimal profit they might make on the Elise by going aftermarket instead of using LSS.
C'mon Transio- no :) :) 's after that comment? Surely you're not serious right?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
maxxfish said:
But don't forget that LSS also gives you a warranty!
The only think that will be costly to replace will be the wheels/tires and neither will be covered by a warranty. Plus guess what... If you mess up you suspension or geo by racing it's coming out of your pocket anyway.

I'll agree that the warranty is mostly worth it, however I won't lose much sleep going after market for wheels and suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
transio said:

Really, then I guess they're not making anything off my metallic paint option, stage II exhaust, hardtop, HID lights and touring package:)

·
Registered
539 Posts
transio said:

We should treat Lotus as a charity and have sympathy for them? Should I round my total bill up a few hundred bucks?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That's what the bumper, headlight waiver is for. You get a more diversified body of automobiles within the United States because of special admission.

gotapex said:
You have not heard of the new affirmative action for Lotus? :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
CrashTestDummy said:
I find that hard to believe. I have been autocrossing since 1990 in many differnt cars wiht all kinds of wheel set-ups and never heard anything like that/this. The spring rates arent that different.

242 lbs/in front, 343 lbs/in rear for standard
271 lbs/in front, 371 lbs/in rear for LSS

Even if it was trippled it wouldnt cause problems, I have done it.

anyone else have an idea?
These differences in spring rates between the LSS and the regular Elise seem very minimal. That is 10-11% increase over the non-LSS Elise. You can barely feel the impact of a spring increase in 25 lb/in increments. Most suspension people I talk to recommend increases in 50 lb/in increments when it comes to springs.

I also doubt that using the LSS tires with SSR wheels on a non-LSS Elise will cause you to ride the bump stops. You are basically reducing unsprung weight when you use lighter rims and that means less bump and rebound travel in the suspension. But I could be wrong

1 - 20 of 131 Posts