The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not wild about using the can of fix-a-flat should I have a tire go pop on me. I'm also not wild about being forced to call for a tow.

Recently I got some new tires and kept the old ones as emergency backups. What I was thinking is that I would buy one front and one rear rim; then mount the old tires on them. If I get a flat, I could call my lovely bride to bring a jack and the appropriate spare wheel to me.

As they would be spares for emergencies, I don't think it prudent to plunk down the big bucks for OEM rims. Can someone suggest a rim that might not look pretty, yet would get the job done?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I keep a warped front for just such a purpose. I'm assuming that there's no problem putting it on the rear.

A scraped up wheel should be cheap - just be sure it is safe.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I've seen that post, and it's a great idea. But, it doesn't address alternative (less expensive) rims).

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I keep a warped front for just such a purpose. I'm assuming that there's no problem putting it on the rear.

A scraped up wheel should be cheap - just be sure it is safe.
Yes, the fronts fit on the rear with no issues other than they look really small compared to the rears. The wheels that were used on the spares that I fit in the trunk of the Elise in the link above are both fronts.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Thanks! I've seen that post, and it's a great idea. But, it doesn't address alternative (less expensive) rims).
I wish you luck on your search for a cheap non-OEM wheel that will fit on your Lotus and clear the brake calipers. I never did find one (either a compact spare or regular) that would work. The problem is most compatible 4 lug OEM wheels out there are less than 15" in diameter and because they mostly come from front wheel drive cars, they have the complete wrong offset. I even found some with the correct offset and they still wouldn't clear the calipers on my Elise. Your best bet for a cheap wheel is to find a slightly bent or rashed up base Lotus Elise/Exige front wheel and go with that. If you do manage to find a non Lotus wheel that fits, please post your findings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts