The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - got my car for SS, a 2006 Elise with LSS/LSD. I'm starting to accumulate bits and bobs to bring with me to events.

I'm working on a spare transmission. Beyond that, what breaks on these things at autocrosses?

- Wheel bearings? Seems like they're the same on all four corners, that's convenient.
- Tie rod ends?
- ?????

I don't know what breaks (does not seem like much), would like to figure that out so I can pack one of each, Just In Case. Not sure how many Lotus dealers are in Lincoln, NE or Blytheville, AR.

Thanks!

Iain

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If you have not already, take care of the "trilogy of terror" issues, then you will be replacing fewer parts. Be triple damn sure to tighten down your battery; at one autocross we had two of the three lotus cars with a loose battery. If it comes loose you will be replacing a clam.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have not already, take care of the "trilogy of terror" issues, then you will be replacing fewer parts. Be triple damn sure to tighten down your battery; at one autocross we had two of the three lotus cars with a loose battery. If it comes loose you will be replacing a clam.
Trilogy of Terror? Heh, did not know to search for that. I've got to put a fullsize battery into it; the car came with a Braille or something, have the brackets, planning on trying to rig up some additional tie-down - I do NOT want a battery dislocating.

Thanks!

Iain

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, gotit on the ToT. Not sure about the link brace/SS legality - I saw a TSB where Lotus recommends it for use, need to search on that, see if anyone came to a conclusion as to whether the TSB = SCCA SS legality.

Overfill by....1/2qt? Not much I can do about fuel starve, but mine is an 06, allegedly better from a starving standpoint?

Iain

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Mannix,
It is unlikely anyone will blink at uprated toe-links until you start dragging in a lot of first places (and most likely not until you are very competative at the regional level). There is a Lotus TSB (which you found), stating uprated toe-links are needed for track use. Normally this opens the door (safety issue) for the upgrade with the SCCA. I went with the BOE links due to them looking largely stock (no center brace for double shear). Nobody has so much as blinked at them (my car is naked back, so they are clearly visible).

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
06 cars were avail with track pack, so you can update the whole package to include the stock toe link brace. You would need to get the harness bar and springs/shocks as well for ss legality.

I think you could make a tie down for a stock sized battery that would be more secure and ss legal. At a minimum I would put a bunch of double side tape under the bat and loctite on the bracket.

I cant think of spares you should have on hand. The car is pretty robust for autocross use. Maybe buy a spare OEM radiator second hand for cheap. Perhaps some newer OEM oil lines to fix that potential weak point legally. I would think the transmission should be no problem unless you are doing pro solos.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
06 cars were avail with track pack, so you can update the whole package to include the stock toe link brace. You would need to get the harness bar and springs/shocks as well for ss legality.

I think you could make a tie down for a stock sized battery that would be more secure and ss legal. At a minimum I would put a bunch of double side tape under the bat and loctite on the bracket.

I cant think of spares you should have on hand. The car is pretty robust for autocross use. Maybe buy a spare OEM radiator second hand for cheap. Perhaps some newer OEM oil lines to fix that potential weak point legally. I would think the transmission should be no problem unless you are doing pro solos.
Gotit, thanks! So, track pack included shocks, harness bar, springs and toe link brace?

Hrmm. I've heard bad things about the track pack springs over LSS. Will think about that. Might just tighten/check the bolts regularly for now.

I _THINK_ there's wording in the book about battery tie downs - I think they specifically allow something about battery tie downs in Stock (I'm a longtime SP guy, never paid all THAT much attention to Stock).

I'll have to go read s13 some more.

Thanks!

Iain

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup - 13.9.E:

"Additional battery hold-down hardware may be added to supplement
the standard equipment in order to meet 3.3.3.B.15. It may serve no
other purpose."

I knew I was not totally making that up.

3.3.3.B.15 talks about exhausts exiting behind driver, heh, but 3.3.3.B.17 is the "wet cell batteries must be in approved enclosures." IE, no problem.

So I can ADD whatever I want to ensure the battery does not make the great escape. Excellent.

Iain

·
Registered
350 Posts
Owwwww.....how much was that to fix?

What's the story there? Do that kind of damage, surely that does not warrant clam replacement - good bodyshop & fiberglass and paint?

Iain
about $5 for said red duct tape :)
won't be fixing it proper until i stop chasing cones. that's a pretty common theme with these cars. duct tape will have to do! but yeah, i'm planning on glassing/painting it when the time comes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bashed a bunch last weekend, mostly with the sides of the car (I kept sliding it sideways into a wall of cones, kinda like you did, but only actually HIT/drove into one or three). No damage. Several scuffs.

I have to stop being such a whiny girl about this car, I bought it to autocross, guess I have to crubbish a wall head on before I'll get over it.

Fiberglass is cheap, right? Sure....heh. I might run a splitter at local events, I don't give a rat's ass about local events anymore, take it off for Tours and nats and whatnot. Shrug.

Iain (or I'll get over it. That's what's got to happen....)

·
Vendor
3,179 Posts
Use some silicone caulking on your naca ducts on the center undertray to keep them from falling out. Spare trans a must if you run Pros

·
Registered
350 Posts
Use some silicone caulking on your naca ducts on the center undertray to keep them from falling out. Spare trans a must if you run Pros
thanks for the reminder, fred! i had a cone drag one away after i center punched it a few weekends ago. on that note, my turn markers have come loose (but not flown off yet), could probably use some reinforcement as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gotit, thanks! So, track pack included shocks, harness bar, springs and toe link brace?

Hrmm. I've heard bad things about the track pack springs over LSS. Will think about that. Might just tighten/check the bolts regularly for now.

I _THINK_ there's wording in the book about battery tie downs - I think they specifically allow something about battery tie downs in Stock (I'm a longtime SP guy, never paid all THAT much attention to Stock).

I'll have to go read s13 some more.

Thanks!

Iain

Actually its not that simple. Matthew's(Don's) car was a trackpak and was converted to LSS. The big thing was the rollbar(?) on the trackpak, which was made of a different material(Steel vs Alum?). Therefore you will need to convert that as well...he said its a big job. Matthew didn't like the spring on the trackpak car, that's why he converted it in the first place. :) (And 2 remote oil cooler in front... if you don't have those already)

IIRC, he said, the interior speaker cover (behind the seat) is also different too :shrug:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts