The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of replacing the spark plugs in the next few days and have a few questions.

1 what is/are the right plugs. 06 Elise. Checking if my info is right or if there is something new to use.

2 any thing I need to know about removing the coil from atop the plug. I don’t want to F anything going in.

3 any lube or what not I need for the top of new the plugs?

4 I’m assuming put a small drop of oil on the spark plug threads as an anti-seize. Or is there something better for this.

Missing anything I need to know?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Just grab the mini packet of silicon grease (Sparkplug grease) at the checkout in your parts store, I use that as antisieze and coat the connections with it(anti corrosion)

If your car is stock, simply put the same plugs back in it that it currently has (Takes 45seconds to pull a plug and check)

Easiest maintenance to perform on these cars. (FRIGGGIN UNDERTRAY!!!!)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have phone around and no buddy has these spark plugs in stock. Does someone know who/where may have them?

is this the right plug? NGK part # PFR6N-11

just found another #

NGK part# IFR6A11

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The Elise manual lists the NGK plug and a Denso. If you check Spark plug, Spark plug wire, spark plug gap, spark plug cross reference and ignition wires at Sparkplugs.com, the NGK is obselete, and discontinued. The Denso is a SK20R11 Iridium plug for $9.35 apiece. They look good in terms of quality. My car is coming up on 15,000 miles, and I was thinking I'd go ahead and put in the Densos, since changing plugs is easy and often does make the engine run a bit more smoothly (in general, not sure about a Lotus)

I have purchased many plugs for BMWs, MINIs, and various scooters on Spark plug, Spark plug wire, spark plug gap, spark plug cross reference and ignition wires at Sparkplugs.com and they have good prices and I have never had any trouble with them.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yesterday evening, I stopped by Autozone and picked the NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs for the Elise. They were only about $7 each. I needed to buy a long socket to work with them, but had the rachet and extension. Very easy to remove the engine cover, and coil packs. I pulled the old plugs, they are Denso SK20R11. With only 14800 miles on the engine, the plugs had some carbon, and the electrodes were lightly worn. With the new plugs, the engine fired up nicely and seemed to idle a bit more smoothly. About to go for a ride this morning to see how it's running. Compared to other cars, plug replacement was a piece of cake. The only issue I ran into was setting a new plug still in its box on top of the motor. Of course it fell, landing underneath on the maintainance cover. Luckily I was able to reach in in front of the rear wheel and grab the plug! Lesson learned, don't rest anything on the motor you don't want to go fishing for!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts