The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched in the forum and google but cant find what the standard spark plug is in a supercharged 220 exige, im buying some to go with my gotham but dont know what to get! any help would be great..

Dave

·
Registered
469 Posts
NGK is good- i havent used it with my lotus but I have used it on my other car which is turbo charged

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
iridium arent necessary. im sure platinum works great.
fwiw, evo guys run copper. so much cheaper. we would just replace them more often. say every few oil changes.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Went to Kragen/O'reilly today to try and get spark plugs. After 1/2 an hour, they gave me NGK Iridium BKR6EIX-11 and they said they were the same (or cross referenced) to the NGK PFR7G. They needed the stock number for the PFR7G's which apparently they could not figure out. Should I use them (NGK Iridium BKR6EIX-11)?

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
From searching the internet it looks like the stock #2380 is for the NGK PFR7G-11, which is the closest thing I could find online. I'll try the auto part store again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Went to Kragen/O'reilly today to try and get spark plugs. After 1/2 an hour, they gave me NGK Iridium BKR6EIX-11 and they said they were the same (or cross referenced) to the NGK PFR7G. They needed the stock number for the PFR7G's which apparently they could not figure out. Should I use them (NGK Iridium BKR6EIX-11)?

I'm not familiar with those specific plugs, but with NGKs the first number is the plug heat range. The lower the number, the hotter the plug. The plugs they sold you are hotter than stock (assuming the 7Gs are stock). I think that -11 might be significant too, but can't remember. I wouldn't run them unless you're in a bind.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
So, where the heck do I find the standard plugs besides the dealer? I can only find the NGK PFR7G-11s online. I would really rather not buy them from the dealer for $27 each. What plugs are you guys using and where are you buying them?

Oh yeah, MotoGeek, yup, I figured out that they were a different heat group and not the same and they were returned. Sadly, the store could not order the stock plugs.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If you're running a supercharged car, I strongly suggest against the use of Platinum plugs.

I realize this is an older article, but it still holds water today.

SuperchargersOnline.com :: The Skinny on Spark Plugs

In a racing environment, there are generally no emissions standards and an excessive amount of fuel present. This environment can cause spark blowout if you are not using the appropriate setup. Platinum spark plugs are not recommended in this situation because, more often than not, spark blowout will occur due to the fact that the tip surfaces of a platinum spark plug is not large enough to make a good conductor in a rich, super high compression environment. Standard type spark plugs provide plenty of surface area for the spark to conduct under such conditions. Therefore a conventional non-resistor spark plug is recommended because it has a larger surface area that will allow the spark to occur.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
These work well for me: NGK BKR7EIX-11

They're Iridium electrodes with the proper heat range and gap for supercharged 2ZZs...

·
Registered
905 Posts
These work well for me: NGK BKR7EIX-11

They're Iridium electrodes with the proper heat range and gap for supercharged 2ZZs...
Thanks. That helps out a lot.

Do you know what the recommended gap is for the plugs? I like to check before I put them in. I know they say "pre-gapped," but I've had them come out of the box at 28 and other at at 48.

:)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks. That helps out a lot.

Do you know what the recommended gap is for the plugs? I like to check before I put them in. I know they say "pre-gapped," but I've had them come out of the box at 28 and otheras at 48.

:)
The specified gap is 1.1mm (0.043"). BTW, that's what the "-11" in the plug's part number refers to.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The specified gap is 1.1mm (0.043"). BTW, that's what the "-11" in the plug's part number refers to.
What does Lotus recommend for the S cars?

I get what the part number calls for, but they make the plugs, not the car. ;)

.043 seems to be a wide gap for a supercharged car with such high compression.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
What does Lotus recommend for the S cars?

I get what the part number calls for, but they make the plugs, not the car. ;)

.043 seems to be a wide gap for a supercharged car with such high compression.
Oops, supercharged cars are 0.8mm (0.031-0.032")

1 - 20 of 33 Posts