The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Went to Kragen/O'reilly today to try and get spark plugs. After 1/2 an hour, they gave me NGK Iridium BKR6EIX-11 and they said they were the same (or cross referenced) to the NGK PFR7G. They needed the stock number for the PFR7G's which apparently they could not figure out. Should I use them (NGK Iridium BKR6EIX-11)?
I just looked it up on NGK's website.

The BKR6EIX (Stock #: 2756) is the stock replacement.
The BKR7EIX (Stock #:6988) is the next heat range colder.

Most places, like the Bennett Auto Supply I just called, can't look up the plug by the above number. What they need is the "Stock Number." With the SN, they'll be able to tell you the part number. (Last time, I asked for NGK TR6's and they couldn't find them.)

The way NGK lists their heat ranges is as follows.

1. The heat ranges go from 2 up to 12.
  2. The higher the number, the colder the plug.

Hope this helps,
Alan

·
Registered
905 Posts
I received an email directly from NGK. They recommended the The BKR7EIX (Stock #:6988) for the car, given the supercharger and high compression.

:)

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
^And he even gives us the stock number. What a guy. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
In a previous post, someone mentioned using Denso IK20. Any idea which is better? Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
NGK PFR7G
Retail part/stock number 7772. The plugs look identical to the stockers with the exception of gap. The PFR7G-S11s (7772) have a slightly larger gap than the stockers I removed. The labeling on the side of each plug is also slightly different. After test driving, everything performs as expected up till redline. I think it's safe to say that these are a direct replacement for stock plugs. With higher boost applications, you may want to tighten the gap to prevent spark blow-out, but they work great as-is for stock boost levels. I'll report back if/when I increase my boost pressure as to whether the larger gap becomes an issue.

·
shay2nak
25,132 Posts
I just bought the. 032". (#2667?) Looks like I should have gotten the. 044"? (#6988)

·
shay2nak
25,132 Posts
nevermind...the factory sparks had a gap of .033.

Changes after installation:

1) Most of the bad exhaust smell is gone that I had.

2) My coolant temp went up to 205 when I was parking my car in the garage. Never got that high and it's not hot outside today. Plus fans never came on? WTF?

3) Power? I have no idea if it fixed my issue. maybe feels a tad quicker...
STILL STALLS so i guess cleaning and di-Egrease on coil packs and new iridium
injectors hasn't fixed my problem.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
2) My coolant temp went up to 205 when I was parking my car in the garage. Never got that high and it's not hot outside today. Plus fans never came on? WTF?
My fans fire up at 210

STILL STALLS so i guess cleaning and di-Egrease on coil packs and new iridium
injectors hasn't fixed my problem.
Stalling is a known issue...:tadts:
But I guess you know that...

·
shay2nak
25,132 Posts
Coolant level was on the low line. Will fill up as soon as i find out which one is in there.

forgot to mention it seemed like the car ran cooler with these plugs. Got to 176. I never see that on the street unless i'm in the canyons.

My fans fire up at 210

Stalling is a known issue...:tadts:
But I guess you know that...
Charlie set the low speed fans to 195 and high speed to 205? IIRC.

At one light stalled 3 times in a row and after every restart stalled right away. STFT was -8, -7, -11. Freakin annoying.

·
Registered
841 Posts
In a previous post, someone mentioned using Denso IK20. Any idea which is better? Thanks.

Rob
I don't know if they're better, but I just replaced the stock NGK's in my Exige S with Denso IK20s that I got off amazon.com

I had to tighten their gaps because they were too wide out of the box.

I'll check them as soon as I get a nice run and let you know how they fare.

Here's what the old spark plugs looked like after what I suspect is 5 years and 26,500 miles:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts