The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note to mention that in hard cornering, my driver's side speaker grill pops off.

Not a big deal, except if one was racing, it can be distracting.

I mean it popped all the way off and landed 5" over.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wow, those 048s really work!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Its not the A048s. look at the speaker underneath, it probably has a corner bent during installation. Both covers on my car popped off. I asked the dealer to fix them and they said they may have to replace the entire speakers and covers. Won't know what is going to happen with that till next week since the car is at the body shop now.

Randy, please ( if you can) give us a good run down on the differences in between the standard suspension and the LSS for everyday driving and more importantly for performance driving. I'm really curious if it makes as huge of a difference as we believe.

Thanks,

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Its not the A048s. look at the speaker underneath, it probably has a corner bent during installation. Both covers on my car popped off. I asked the dealer to fix them and they said they may have to replace the entire speakers and covers. Won't know what is going to happen with that till next week since the car is at the body shop now. <<<

Is this the kind of grill that basically press fits onto the rim of the speaker frame? In that case maybe a bit of silicone rubber would do the trick. Won't hurt anything and you can still remove the cover if needed.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Stan said:
>>>Its not the A048s. look at the speaker underneath, it probably has a corner bent during installation. Both covers on my car popped off. I asked the dealer to fix them and they said they may have to replace the entire speakers and covers. Won't know what is going to happen with that till next week since the car is at the body shop now. <<<

Is this the kind of grill that basically press fits onto the rim of the speaker frame? In that case maybe a bit of silicone rubber would do the trick. Won't hurt anything and you can still remove the cover if needed.
yes, it is exactly that type! if the dealer doesn't fix them, I'll do the silicone trick.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dash speakers bent all to hell...

My dash grills kept popping off as well, so I finally just removed them.

The speaker frames are bent like you wouldn't believe. They're so contorted that I can't imagine the factory installed them like that- it looks like they had been dropped on the edge a couple of times or even beat with a rubber mallet.

It is possible that the way the speakers are anchored the frames are being torqued out of shape?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
proberts9999 said:
The speaker frames are bent like you wouldn't believe.
Maybe the teddy bear and the bunny rabbit have been listening to too much music?:nanner2:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
My passenger side rear one popped off as well hitting a pothole a couple of months back, kept on driving and heard it rolling back and forth. I did put it back and had no problems with it since then.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My grilles kept popping off also. The dealer replaced them and 3 days later they popped off again. I will either silicone them on or just replace the crappy speakers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Speakers baked smaller

I got a chance to play around with the speakers today. My dash speakers have shrunk, squaring themselves around the screws. I guess they weren't designed to be in direct sunlight. When my car is parked at work or at home, it's almost always covered (exceptions are dawn/sunset). So in 2700 miles of driving, part of that at night, the speaker rims have shrunk a total of .5 or .75 inches in diameter. With quality like that, you probably should not only shield them from heat and sun, but never look directly at them. :p

Anyone else have this problem? I can't imagine I'm alone. My Elise came with the LA blinkpunk'd head and is VIN 661.

...anyway, I'm going to drop in an inexpensive set of Polk DBs or Fosgate Ts or something like that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Actually, what I think is happening is that the sun is hitting the projector lens of the headlight, and as it burns a celestial pattern (probably a partial analemma) in the plastic, it bounces off of the headlight cover, through the windshield and onto the speaker grilles...

:D

-Jim

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
ChrisH said:
Mine seem to be fine - no problems or noticable defects at all. :clap:

Damn, I just jinxed myself. :mad:
I said the same thing about my headlights and then spent a couple of hot, sunny days driving around... So, just so that I can bring this upon myself and become one of the group: Mine have never popped off.

There, I said it. Now they'll be sitting on the seats when I open up the garage tomorrow AM.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
My front driver side speaker popped off a while ago and I was able to squish it back on. Now it's so out of round that the speaker grill won't even seat enough to be able to do the silicone trick.

Does anyone know if this is covered under the warranty? Seems like the same thing as the design flaw with the front headlights.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
knucklehead said:
My front driver side speaker popped off a while ago and I was able to squish it back on. Now it's so out of round that the speaker grill won't even seat enough to be able to do the silicone trick.

Does anyone know if this is covered under the warranty? Seems like the same thing as the design flaw with the front headlights.

It is a warranty item. Newport gave me new grills. :sheep:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts