The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not an audio-snob by any stretch, but the sound in the Evora is pretty bad. I don't have the budget to swap out the Alpine (900) head unit right now and was thinking that replacing the speakers will hold me over until I can do that. Any suggestions on a decent set of speakers?

I haven't looked into the process of swapping the speakers out, but I guess I'll need to take the door panel off and will probably need a good set of trim removal tools (for other stuff down the road too). Any suggestions there?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I like his idea lol.

On topic though - there are a couple audio threads here in which they talk about specific speakers.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Look up Helix speakers on crutchfield. They make blue series entry level or fittingly the esprit series that really are premium ...the blues are better than 90% out there ...the Esprit's are like Bose for your car!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like his idea lol.

On topic though - there are a couple audio threads here in which they talk about specific speakers.
I did go through a bunch of threads - and there's a lot out there to weed through - and was just looking for some additional input.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look up Helix speakers on crutchfield. They make blue series entry level or fittingly the esprit series that really are premium ...the blues are better than 90% out there ...the Esprit's are like Bose for your car!
Did you go with the Blue or Esprit's? Any install issues?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
This will very greatly by your listening tastes. Decide how sibilant you like your music, or in general whether you like warm or flat, and silk or aluminum tweeters. Then start narrowing it down. There are loads of quality components out there, but everyone's ears are different. Focal, hybrid audio, cdt, helix, gladen, morel, etc

I recommend you don't skimp on components, but once cry once. Budget 500+ and get some strategic sound deadening done while you're in there. You can always add more power via an amp later, and go with a different head unit. That front stage will be the building block for your ears and if you don't like it, EQing will only muddy the waters.

The link in my signature may be of help, I cover quite a lot. By no means take it as gospel but it will give you ideas.

Sample some if you can, though sound walls aren't perfect at stores.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sound walls aren't perfect but the Lotus is much worse than any sound wall I've heard

Mine has Hertz components and A JL sub; all powered by a JL amp. I love the sub, like the components but they're a touch too accurate for my tastes on the high end. The word bright comes to mind. My friend who's a sound engineer in a recording studio loves them...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Are you saying the Esprits are bad?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the input...I'll do some more research and see what the budget can tolerate. And it definitely makes sense to add some sound deadening while I'm there. If I do end up in the $500 range, I'm thinking I'd go for a CAI first. :)

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
The great thing is that an Evora is inherently quiet enough to allow you to hear a decent sound setup

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Focal & morel are both great choices.

I went with the Morel Elate :up:. They may be a bit hard to find and spendy. Think they are made in Israel and they're kinda busy right now.
Awesome range. Makes the most out of what your amp and HU can offer

Did some one say Bose? :facepalm
"No highs, No lows, must be a Bose"
I might be a bit hard on Bose stuff. Just wish their hype matched their sound.

·
Premium Member
6,991 Posts
Powerbass may seem like an off brand, but.... according to my guru (retired Navy sonar man so, yea, his ears are beyond good) they make at least 50%++ of everything you see out there in the same factory. Had 4 of them in my Elise and sound was accurate, clear, full etc with the JL sub that fit in passenger's footwell. Waiting for someone to talk about the best fitment for a replacement sub. 8 inch and drop in fit!

If you want to time warp, get in his Pinto wagon and crank up the intro to Hotel California. He has a wall of national trophies for sound quality, staging ... all the good stuff. Nothing to do with max dB and that crap. Staging is unlike ANYTHING I"ve ever heard in auto or home. Jaw dropping good!!!

When folks complain about our Evora's, if you look back at threads a few years back, there were some great pics on a good tune that got the most out of the system.
If I remember right
1. Loudness on.
2. bass +3 , middle wide setting , 80Hz crossover point
3. Treble +2, 10K Crossover point.
4. Balance to your liking
5. Sub to ~12-13 More only overloads at high volumes

The loudness works fabulous at listening levels below ~15. Above that it fades out anyway but the fill at moderate volumes is dramatic. I've always felt in the 15-20 level zone, sound was pretty darn good for a vehicle. Even the B&W system in my XK Jag needs power to wake up. We audiophiles may not like loudness anymore on our home systems but in a car it is a major enhancer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts