The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was posted before but couldn't find it - anybody know what the speaker size is? Gonna shop around for some upgrades...any recommendations on brands?

I will not be adding seperates or doing any drastic modifications other than possibly adding an amp rather than running on deck power - just looking to replace the stock ones with a quality unit.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Wouldn't the ambient noise (from the open roof or the soft top itself) and engine noise detract from having quality speakers? In my old convertible 944 I couldnt tell the difference since I had some much wind noise. I wonder if it'd be the same in the case of the elise.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My cobra replica was 100 times louder (engine/wind) then the elise. Could barely hear it at 70 on the freeway - but for cruising around town you could hear it just fine. I just test drove a 111s on thursday and you can hear the stereo just fine...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I wasn't able to test drive the Elise above 50 mph, but it seemed to have less wind noise than my Miata, due to the targa cockpit design.

In the Miata, you really have to crank the volume up with the top down at freeway speeds to hear the radio/cassette player, and the speakers don't seem to handle that well (lots of distortion, particularly with tapes). But the car also is 14 years old and I don't think the cassette unit was that good to start. Hoping for better results from the Elise and Blaupunkt.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I had a plain vanila Blau CD player and 4X6's in my 944 Cab, the sound quality was good, but then I tried a pair of friends speakers that were 'better' than mine with no discernable difference in sound quality. The point I was trying to make was that passed some critical mass of decent sounds it's not worth spending money in open top cars for better sound quality. Save that for a set of B&W's at home :p

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
babak said:
Save that for a set of B&W's at home :p
Why do we pick the expensive hobbies?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Have the "cheap" B&W in the bedroom. For the Elise if your going with aftermaket amps with the better speakers, around town, should be quite a bit better then stock. Have heard the Elise is fairly quite the top off. Having the windows up should help even more.

·
Registered
172 Posts
speakers

Donovan is asking a legitimate question.
I have test driven the 111s and it is no different then any other convertible.......if anything it is quieter then most due to the targa top.
The Blaupunkt has a 3V preout for an aftermarket amp and w/ upgraded speakers you could put a seriously quality system in here (small cabin acoustics) w/ negligable extra weight.
For people into that it would be well worth the money. If you want to listen to the engine you turn the stereo off.

The question was what size are the speakers?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Pretty sure the speaker are a std size, 5.25 or 6.5". If you want a more higher quality system, you'll have to add a sub and a enclosure to go with it. If it's 6.5" you maybe able to get decent bass out of it. May look into the amp/speaker upgrade myself down the line.

As for brands run MB Quarts in both my cars, Focal, Boston Acoustics are a few of the nicer ones… sure others can chime in with there favorites

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I think our Elise will be the quietest yet due to the extra sound deadening being added. I also will likely be upgrading the speakers. I plan on going for some that will give pretty good bass as I do not intend to add a sub (to avoid unwanted weight and drilling).

Size... Not sure, but I remember seeing it somewhere?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Don't bother....

The head unit matters far far far more than the speaker cone. Going from a 5 1/2" speaker to an 8" will make some difference. Going from a brand X 5 1/2" to a brand Y 5 1/2 makes virtually no change.

Going from 5 watt Delco to a 30 watt Alpine makes a huge difference no matter what the speaker.

Steve

·
Registered
169 Posts
The head unit matters far far far more than the speaker cone. Going from a 5 1/2" speaker to an 8" will make some difference. Going from a brand X 5 1/2" to a brand Y 5 1/2 makes virtually no change.
I have to disagree. I can certainly here the difference between even two good sets of speakers. My personal favorites have been MB quart, but the real challenge is to figure out what sounds best in your car (given the accoustics are the different in every model). Go to a car stereo shop and you will atleast be able to eliminate a few sets just by listening in the showroom.

Going from 5 watt Delco to a 30 watt Alpine makes a huge difference no matter what the speaker.
The elise is slated to come with a fairly nice amp. The difference between two high quality amps is much harder to hear than between two sets of speakers. With good amps for the most part it comes down to features and user interface.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Donovan said:
I know this was posted before but couldn't find it - anybody know what the speaker size is? Gonna shop around for some upgrades...any recommendations on brands?

I will not be adding seperates or doing any drastic modifications other than possibly adding an amp rather than running on deck power - just looking to replace the stock ones with a quality unit.
http://www.elises.co.uk/components/s2/audio/

·
Registered
670 Posts
>>>I have to disagree. I can certainly here the difference between even two good sets of speakers. My personal favorites have been MB quart, but the real challenge is to figure out what sounds best in your car (given the accoustics are the different in every model). Go to a car stereo shop and you will atleast be able to eliminate a few sets just by listening in the showroom.<<<

You are of course entitled to whatever opinion you want, however the large difference is the head unit. My example was when upgrading from a poor unit to a quality one. The upgrade from "poor" to "quality" speakers is not near so great if you continue to drive them with a poor head unit. You'll hear little to no change with a $200 speaker upgrade, unless size of cone area increases. I alway suggest upgrade of head unit first. My most recent car purchase was a 2002 Civic with a crap stereo. I replaced the head unit with an Alpine and left those "awful" sounding speakers in place. Now they sound very good. Investing big money in a car system is to me a waste anyway. The nuances in quality reproduction of quality music are lost in the wind and road noise anyway. The thump thump thump of crap can be covered by low dollar systems.

If the Elise is coming wirth a Blaupunkt I assume it will be quality enough, I'm not buying the Elise as a mobile concert hall, I don't expect it to be a quiet luxury vehicle.

BTW I am a sound engineer in the movie business

Regards

Steve

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily assume that the US car uses the same size speakers as the Euro spec. It'd be best to wait and see when the car gets here.

Personally, I believe that the speakers make more difference than the head unit (assuming they're supplied with appropriate levels of power).

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Head units, if it's a CD player will be more then enough for the nosier environment of a car, it's the spec of the amp that make the bigger difference. Lower powered, overdriven amp will give lots of distortion. In which case better speakers wouldn't matter. As long as you've got good clean power, speakers make the bigger differance. The Euro Elise uses 4" in the front and 5.25" in the rear, seems like 6" fit in the rear. Given the small size of the front, it may be hard to improve on the sound without adding a sub. A JL 6.5" might be a good way to go & keep the weight down. Stereo upgrade is pretty far down my list but something I'll eventually look at.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks Dan and Larry,
Great link Dan.
Right on the button Larry............Deck power is probably adequate for just about everyone, but I will probable bypass and upgrade to a quality amp hooking up to the Blaupunkt pre-out (that's what it's there for). Those paper speakers listed in that link would sound OK until they disintegrated......according to the link they are rated 20Wrms.
Probably go w/ the MB quartz in that they have the best bass response. I will hold off on the sub & enclosure to see how it sounds first.
I am far from one of those who cranks the stereo just to annoy everyone..........I appreciate the sound of the engine once in awhile but I also appreciate quality sounding music.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Was thinking a bit about a upgrade path for the Elise. Wouldn't go with MB Quarts (w/o something to handle bass). Went about a month in my current mid-engine (5.25" 2 way seprate) before the sub came in. They use titanium tweeter, even with a nice clean PPI amp, they sounded harsh & would distort if pushed much with bass. At least for me they really need a sub to balance them out.

Was thinking more along the lines of a good two way 4" in front with 6" in the rear that have good bass response, going with a good 4 channel amp & have the rear crossed over ~120hz. Let the rear handle the bass with the front mid-highs. It's a lower cost/weight way of getting decent sound of the Elise.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What would be your speaker recommendation.......focal?
That may be a little more then I wanted to spend. You are probably right in just getting it right the 1st time though.
It would be cheaper then putting a sub in an enclosure in that little spot behind the seats later if I am not satisfied.
Plus there is only one pre-out so would have to change the deck.
Dilemmas :)..........not to mention that we will have to get the car to see if 6.5's will fit in that 5.25 spot.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts