The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone change out the F/R speakers yet? Those things are terrible. Just curious of the sizes of them.

this winter should see a new deck & (hopefully) some Focals for the stock spots.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
ace3 said:
anyone change out the F/R speakers yet? Those things are terrible. Just curious of the sizes of them.

this winter should see a new deck & (hopefully) some Focals for the stock spots.
Fronts are 4" + a few if squeezed
Rears are 5.25

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Think someone had 5.25" fitted to the front without mods. If you going with Focals, Ace3 do you plan on adding a amp as well?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
LarryB said:
Think someone had 5.25" fitted to the front without mods. If you going with Focals, Ace3 do you plan on adding a amp as well?
I would like to see the source for that.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys.

A friend of mine has some Focals in his car, and they sound fantastic. That was our only concern, though. I would rather NOT put an amp anywhere in the car, but we both kind of figured that it might be more cost-effective to go with something OTHER than Focal if I wasn't going to put an amp in there.

Some good coaxial speakers would be nice ... I'd really like something with some decent bass ... i'm NOT going to be putting a sub in, that's for sure.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
LarryB said:
Thanks Larry. I did see that before but it seems like the 5" was very difficult to manage and as such I have my doubts about 5.25". I have an extra set of 5.25" (new) if anyone is intersted its the momo's i have installed for my rears. Nice sounds improvement over the stockers.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
5.25" Speakers

I just installed 5.25 MB Quarts in the front. They come with a spcer and fit nicely. I tried to get the 5.25 Polk Momo's and they were too wide to fit in the magnet area.

As for the Back I but in 6.5" Polk Momo's and that required a little trimming of the pannel with a dremmel.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: 5.25" Speakers

scottyb said:
I just installed 5.25 MB Quarts in the front. They come with a spcer and fit nicely. I tried to get the 5.25 Polk Momo's and they were too wide to fit in the magnet area.

As for the Back I but in 6.5" Polk Momo's and that required a little trimming of the pannel with a dremmel.
are you running them with the stock deck?

how's it sound compared to the Blahpunkt speakers?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
are you running them with the stock deck?

I've been upgrading in stages to see what happens after each change.

First I removed the Blaupunkt radio. It was absolutely awfull. I replaced it with an Alpine 9385 (I Think) And powered the stock speakers from that head unit. I choose that HU because it has the strongest and cleanest amp of all the HU's I could find. Also I hooked up the iPod Module. This had a dramatic increase in quality of sound out of the speakers. However, it was all High end of the sound spectrum. With the stock speakers the sound was just too bright. The upper Mids range was acceptable, but there was absolutly no bass.

Second, I replaced the rear speakers with 6.5" Polk Momo. I did have to remove the passenger seat and take the back pannel off so that I could trim it with a dremmel. All I had to do was make the diameter of the opening bigger by about a 1/4 of an inch. Then I trimmed the Sound deadaning foam behind the speakers. Also I cut little cubby holes in the thicker parts of the padding so I could fit the crossovers behind the pannels too. The most important thing to do before placing the speakers in the new enclosures was to remove the plastic cover on the magnet side of the speaker. The Polk Momo speakers are about 1/2 an inch less in depth when the cover is removed. I think it's there just for decoration. When I played the system with the 6.5's and the new head unit I now had some base. I tweaked the HU's equilizer to get the best sound, but the front stock speakers were so poorly matched with my Polks.

Third, I removed the front 4" stock speakers and opted for the MB Quarts. 5.25" These speakers come with a spacer that allows the speaker to sit approximately 0.5 inces above the dash. The fit is nice since it matches the curve of the elevated portion of the front top dash. I then set up the crossovers that the fronts are highs and mids. The rears are MIds and Low. I now have some punch when I listen to the music without blairing brightness. I am still toying with the idea of an amp or amped sub, but I really don't want that kind of added weight. SO I'm going to drive it for a while to see if I want to go the next step.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like you did what i kind of want to do. i do NOT want to put an amp in, i hate the speakers, and i hate the deck even more.

maybe i'll run to the stereo joint this weekend to see what they've got.

Got any pics of your setup?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The Alpine CDA-9833 (9835 is the same thing with a blingin' display) is a really nice head unit. I am using it to drive the speakers directly in my Miata. I really like two things about it. It has a built in digital crossover, so you don't need an external crossover circuit between the woofer and tweeter. And it has "time correction", an adjustable digital delay for each output to adjust the apparent distance from each speaker to the listening position. I did not expect it to be nearly as effective as it actually is. The adjustment is very sensitive...unfortunately, a "compromise" setting to give the driver and passenger symmetric delays doesn't work.

It has four powered channels, plus two more for an external amp.

I get great sound from some fairly inexpensive speakers in my Miata. $400 for the head unit, about $120 for the speakers. They are individual components that I picked out myself specifically for this application, not a kit. People are amazed at the deep palpable bass I can get with door speakers. But then, most cars don't have cutouts that will fit 8" speakers in the doors...

·
Registered
65 Posts
reputable installer in L.A.?

Does anyone know of a reputable company that can work on Elises(stereo upgrade etc..) in the Los Angeles area? Not sure exactly what I want to change but I know I want to at least change the speakers, they sound terribe.

rick

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Pictures of my speakers

A couple of guys have asked for pictures. I did not take any during the install but here are pictures of the installed speakers

MB Quart PSD-213

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Re: 5.25" Speakers

scottyb said:

Awesome! I was very worried I wouldn't be able to fit any decent sized speakers in there. A 6.5" speaker should be able to get decent bass in a cabin so tiny.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Does anyone happen to have pics of the stock drivers removed from the car? I want to see the basket, motor structure.
thanks,
Ara

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
No need for a sub or amp

I was driving around with my stereo upgrades and have come to the conclusion that I do not need an AMP or Subwoofer. Between the 6.5 polks and the 5.25 MB quarts, I have plenty of bass and punch just from the HU amp of the Alpine 9835. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with the Headlights of the car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts