The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace those terrible stock speakers. Hard to know what to get instead. Does anybody have some suggestions to help me narrow down my search?
Thanks,
Eddie

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I've got JL 5/14 up front. Do a search for "speaker rings" I think, or PM me. I've got larger Polks in the rear and then a Kenwood sub behind the passenger seat. My Elise rocks now, even with the top off.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I tried a few different types/sizes (and have heard others as well). I did go with 6.5" in the back but if I had it to do over would just have used 5.25". I did use Jim's speaker rings up front, I had to use a router to slightly enlarge them for the Polk Momo 5.25" speakers I went with but they work great as is with the JLA speakers. The 5.25" up front is the BEST improvement, just involves a little dash surgery ;)

The 5.25" up front with a Stealthbox is GREAT, I could hear my stereo clearly at any speed with the top off and the sound quality was great too.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If you're just looking for a budget setup so you can turn the volume up and hear the stereo a bit more you can try the Infinity reference series. They offer the 4", 5.25" and 6.5". I went with the stock sizes front and rear and they were a good upgrade for the 70 bucks I spent on all 4. Also they are 4 ohm so direct plug and play, I got mine from Crutchfield.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're just looking for a budget setup so you can turn the volume up and hear the stereo a bit more you can try the Infinity reference series. They offer the 4", 5.25" and 6.5". I went with the stock sizes front and rear and they were a good upgrade for the 70 bucks I spent on all 4. Also they are 4 ohm so direct plug and play, I got mine from Crutchfield.
Sounds like a good idea. Just looking for something etter than the crap that came with the car.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Seriously ace10? How many of your posts are telling people to search :shrug:

Look at all the productive posts I would have missed out on...

Thanks everyone,
Eddie
seriously eas, how many speaker threads do you think there are on ET?
starting an open ended thread without any stated criteria (price range, DIY or professional, amps/no amps, front and/or rear, high end/low end) and then asking for suggestions is like shouting into the grand canyon.

invest a little in the website. try an advanced search, titles only using "speaker*" as the search term.

at least then you'll know about the universe of options that have been available in the past, rather than have people post the same stuff that's already been written dozens upon dozens of times already. you'll get more out of it... i guarantee. your new thread won't attract 1% of the data that is already here, and that is your loss.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
starting an open ended thread without any stated criteria (price range, DIY or professional, amps/no amps, front and/or rear, high end/low end) and then asking for suggestions is like shouting into the grand canyon.

invest a little in the website. try an advanced search, titles only using "speaker*" as the search term.

at least then you'll know about the universe of options that have been available in the past, rather than have people post the same stuff that's already been written dozens upon dozens of times already. you'll get more out of it... i guarantee. your new thread won't attract 1% of the data that is already here, and that is your loss.
I agree 100% with this statement. I know I posted to one thread where I included some pretty detailed steps to swapping out the speakers. In that thread there were a few alternative speakers suggested and they were drop in.

I disagree about needing an extra amp, my system give pretty good sound now with just a speaker swap.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
To really get decent sound, you'll need to step up to an external amplifier as well.
Don't forget the crossover and sub. Most after market speakers suck at handling anything under 80hz. 6" fit the rear panel easy enough if you enlarge the hole with a dremel or similar. The car is small enough that you can get away with a 5ch amp and run everything with it just fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I have to disagree. Believe it or not I did search, but if we only "search" for old threads how will we ever get new info. Search is great for questions with limited answers "how can I extend my remote range" etc...

This site has been around for what, 4-5 years, there are only so many different topics to discuss. The great thing about forums is old ideas can turn into new ones...

Enjoy Toronto,
Eddie

·
Registered
317 Posts
The interior of the Elise is about the worst acoustic envirornment out there. A small space with a lot of hard, reflective surfaces. The undersized stock front speakers point directly at the glass and the rear speakers are housed in non-rigid plastic. You'll never have great sound, but you can replace the stock speakers, add amplification and a custom or drop in sub to get something that you can live with. I used Infinity front and rear speakers powered off the stock head unit with 80 Hz high pass crossovers. I dropped a slightly customized (slightly shortened to fit) 6" Bazooka tube behind the seats powered off a Rockford Fosgate amp tucked in the right side of the boot. Total added weight is less than 10 pounds. The sound went from terrible to okay. It helps on days I drive the Elise to work and get stuck working late enough to get stuck in traffic. Otherwise, I'd rather listen to the engine and exhaust. Having said that, it would be possible to greatly improve the system with custom enclosures, more amplification and a better head unit. 15 years ago I might have been inclined to try.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just looking to swap out the base speakers to get somewhat better sound. I'll try the Infinity reference series - I like the "plug and play". Thanks to those who helped,
Eddie

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Don't forget the crossover and sub. Most after market speakers suck at handling anything under 80hz. 6" fit the rear panel easy enough if you enlarge the hole with a dremel or similar. The car is small enough that you can get away with a 5ch amp and run everything with it just fine.
Before I said 'screw it, rather listen to the Stage 2', I was going to go with a JL Audio 500/5 for this purpose, so I agree with you. You could even probably get away with a four-channel or a couple of two channel amps if you don't need/want to use fader.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Just looking to swap out the base speakers to get somewhat better sound. I'll try the Infinity reference series - I like the "plug and play". Thanks to those who helped,
Eddie
Yeah, you are welcome. I helped, you just failed to search. Kappa, Kappa, Kappa. They rock and they do other forms of music too. I'm a pretty serious audiophile and the Kappas really changed the performance inside this little car.

Search. Ace10 is right and it's unfortunate you blew it off saying new information is more important. The info isn't that old and still quite valid.

Oh well... just don't bother trying to use mp3 source material as the car needs quality material, not squashed material from an iPod...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I swapped out all my stock speakers to Polk DB's. 5" front, 6.5" shallow mount rears. Easy install, sounds better. So there.
Cheers,
Skottoman

1 - 20 of 22 Posts