The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Surferjer said:
I intend to upgrade the back speakers to start, and will measure the depth tonight. I'll post it once I know.
Already done it... You get about 2" on the rears. There is sound deadening foam back there so you might be able to get away with a speaker that goes a little deeper.

·
Registered
157 Posts
JL is good, but for clarity and good bass Boston Acoustics Pro's or Rally components are really good. Couple them to a Punch amp and you should have a great sounding system for relatively little money (check ebay, ton of gear) and light weight.

Contrary to popular opinion, speakers NEED a good amount of power to produce clean, clear music. It's the bottom end 18hz - 200hz that takes most of the power (biggest surface area to drive on speakers) and speakers driven off a head unit rarely sound as good, even at lower volumes, than a set up utilizing an amp. For a car the size of the Elise you probably wouldn't need any more than 50 watts per channel from an amp @ 4 ohms.

You might want to get a bridgable amp allowing a 5, 3, 1 configuration. Your choice in set up, either run it in 5 channels, ie all 4 fronts and a sub, or three by bridging the Left and Rights into two channels, dropping the ohms to 2 and running a single to a small sub.

Lots of choices in amps and configuration. Weight won't really be a factor and shouldn't add more than 15 lbs max. If you use a cap it won't cause much power drain.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Jasonv44 said:

Contrary to popular opinion, speakers NEED a good amount of power to produce clean, clear music. It's the bottom end 18hz - 200hz that takes most of the power (biggest surface area to drive on speakers) and speakers driven off a head unit rarely sound as good, even at lower volumes, than a set up utilizing an amp. For a car the size of the Elise you probably wouldn't need any more than 50 watts per channel from an amp @ 4 ohms.
Not true at all. If the speakers are highly efficient then you don't need huge power to produce clean clear music. Lots of power does not equal to clean.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I think the quality of the recording matters nearly as much as the speaker quality- even the best speakers in the world can't sound good if the mix sucks. FWIW.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Very true. The source is very important. If the source is crap your just amplifying crap and if your amplicationa and out put device are crap then more crap is introduce. But then again this is a car and that's not the optimal envrionment for audiophile quality sound.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
_JD_ said:
I think the quality of the recording matters nearly as much as the speaker quality- even the best speakers in the world can't sound good if the mix sucks. FWIW.
Obvious statement of the week award! :D Just teasin!

It's just like the Elise. It will execute flawlessly the input you give it just make sure it was the right input! Garbage in garbage out

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
When it comes to amps having good clean power with a decent dynamic range is importation. For a amp it's how much power over RMS it can put out for a musical peak before clipping. Then for the speakers as Lotus Fury mention you get into there sensitivity and power handling ability to get into how loud and clean your setup can sound like. If your running a sub/woofer you can unload your main speakers in a sense and need alot less power to drive them.

In my current mid-engine car have a JL 8" sub with 200w, MB Quarts up front with 40-50w and stock 3.5" rear speaker. Using a PPI amp to drive the MB Quarts and sub. The rear speaker hurt imaging quite a bit so end up running the fader way down on them. For the Elise may try replacing the front speaker and run a small self power sub. Don't know if the head unit allows you to set up a cross over freq for a sub (route the low freq away from the main speaker), would be ideal. Basically try to keep it simple.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Derek-2 inches? yikes. The current crappy speakers are listed at 2 1/16, so going to 2 3/4 might prove problematic. Your thoughts??

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Guys, the elise is not the environment to get the subtle nuances of music, just crank it up until you can hear it, but it'll never be home stereo quality with the top off, engine running at 40 mph,

Chris

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Guys, the elise is not the environment to get the subtle nuances of music, just crank it up until you can hear it, but it'll never be home stereo quality with the top off, engine running at 40 mph,

Chris

Agreed.

I have found on the roadtrip that the car is not well suited (seems worse than some other convertibles I have experience in) for listening to music. You do have to turn it up to hear it.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Yeah, tell me about it. With the MR2, T-top off, windows down, need all 350 watts in that little space to be able to hear it over all the wind noise while on the freeway. :p . For the most part a stereo in a sports car is background noise. Still it's nice if it's somewhat decent noise. For the Elise plan on keeping it simple.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
LarryB said:
Don't know if the head unit allows you to set up a cross over freq for a sub (route the low freq away from the main speaker), would be ideal. Basically try to keep it simple.
Actually, I think I read the Los Angeles (touring pack stereo) has a separate *powered* subwoofer output...

EDIT: never mind, I'm wrong - it's just a sub preamp output.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Matt- Just took a look at the manual. Looks like the sub out gets you into a integrated low-pass filter for the head unit, think that will do what I've got in mind. Since I've got a old, small self-power sub laying around the garage my try it sooner rather then later, if it fits.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Look peeps, just because its an open top car does not mean the music has to sound this bad. No one is looking for every little detail in the music to be apparent but the Elise speakers are really bad. Stop making excuses for them...they just suck. My Miata stock system blows the the doors of the Elises system. Let me put it another way...car not running or moving is the sound any better? I didnt think so. Bad is bad and the speakers are, well you know!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Surfer, I have those Polks in my 67' mini cooper. I just put them in last week. I also have a 4 channel amp powering them and a bass tube. They sound ok, but they dont blow your mind. HOWEVER...they're in the rear shelf of the mini just above the trunk which is a pretty good sized open space. I have dynomat lining the trunk but its still not optimal.

When I purchased the mini stereo system I thought I needed 5.25 inch speakers so I got some really nice JL audio speakers, were around $175 for the pair. When I took the rear shelf out of the mini I realized I could run 6.5's so I ran back up to a different store ( the JL store was closed) and got those polks you posted....

I was going to take these JL's back but I may hang on to them and see if they sound better than the elise speakers?

I spent $750 on a relatively cheap set up for this mini...I cant stand not having a radio even in my race cars. $700 on audio is alot of money for me and I just spent it last week...so I doubt I'll be dumping $$$ into the elise system for awhile...if ever.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Chris, I used to think that about my Miata, but after I installed my current system I've definitely changed my mind. It's going to be tough to replicate if 5.5" x 2" deep is the largest driver that can be mounted in the Elise. In my Miata, I've mounted 8" woofers in the doors, in the factory holes!

Aside: So is the Elise louder than a Miata? When you get out after a 2-hour trip at 80MPH do your ears ring at all?

·
Registered
649 Posts
FWIW, power ratings on head units are almost always *vastly* overrated. If they claim 50W/channel that usually means peak, not RMS. In order to get decent sound, I've found a separate amp to be a must. Thus, I do not expect to ever get good sound out of the Elise. :p I'll leave the good sounds to my daily driver.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
It still say just replace the Speakers & go from there. Even is you decide at a later date to got the full all out upgrade you'll already have good speakers. And maybe you'll be satisfied with just the speakers.

Won't know til you try.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts