The Lotus Cars Community banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
delliott00 said:
Mact is dead on. Power is worthless as most manufacturers manipulate the ratings. Its only relative within a particular brands product range.

However, current is the key. Current = clarity. Current makes your speakers responsive to changes in the sound material.

I have an old Soundstream Class A 50-2. Its 25watts. Its 15 years old. I'll put it up against any mass market 200w amp today. It has been moved from car to car and still sounds great. Nothing gives you the audio stage of a good class A amp with some stout discrete power supplies. Its stable down to .25 ohm. I once had 14 drivers on it, probably forcing it to around 500w total. Sounded great, and I won my IASCA class with it twice in my old Rx7. The founder of soundstream (Chris Dragon of Nak fame) gave it to me for selling so much of his stuff for him.

If you can find one on ebay, buy it. They mostly go for $300+. Its also small and light. So, its going in the Elise soon.

-Dave
Chris Dragon huh?...let me guess, he developed their "dragon" cassette deck sold 20 yrs ago?...that thing looked hot at the time...I had the 303 cassette deck back then just because the tape flipped over(saw it in the movie 9 1/2 wks and had to have it..:))...Soundstrem is good stuff, had their amps in the past also...I now have a ADS PQ10 running a pair of Focals but nothing compares to the old ADS 320i's IMHO...they still sell for full price on ebay after 20 yrs.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Although I do agree with you guys about benefits of a clean high end amp over just power, do consider alot of this benefit is lost in a rather bad audio environment of the open top car like the noisy Elise.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I saw a good audio magazine review of some smaller, lesser known speaker companies. One was Directed Audio. I have not yet been able to find a retailer with their speakers up so I could listen to them. The model line I am thinking of is as follows:
Directed Audio Studio Speakers
Directed Audio Studio Mid-Bass

I am considering the S550 (5.25 inch) component set for the fronts, and the 8 inch S800 (3084) shallow mount mid-bass driver for the rear (with some widening of the opening in the rear, of course). The 8 inch drivers are designed with an inverted motor assembly for shallow mounts (only 2.5 inches deep).

Has anyone had a good listening trial of this model line? (Not the lower end, cheaper Directed Audio speakers.) The audio mag showed measured frequency responses of the speakers it was comparing, and the Directed Audio (a.k.a., DEI) had a much flatter response over the frequency range as compared to all the others. (And yes, I know, mounting them in the car will make a big difference, and flat frequency response does not mean linear phase response and good quality sound and imaging. But, short of buying them and trying them in the Elise, what else can I do but research?) The reviewer thought the speakers sounded great over the whole frequency range, reproduced the detail of the music and vocals very well with good imaging.

In my home audio equipment, I have had some very good experiences with lesser known speaker companies who make excellent equipment at more affordable prices than the more well known companies. It just depends on how good their audio engineer is.

Another company I am checking out is CDT Audio.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just ordered the Kenwood powered subwoofer box. Kenwood KSC-WA62RC. On sale for $189 at Crutchfield, plus theres a $20 off $100 coupon I used.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2QqNSlcwKPM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=113WA62RC&g=51000

Coupon code PA166. Not sure how long it will last, but it worked for me. That brings the Subwoofer to $169, which is the same price as many of them on ebay. Someone posted pics of the sub installed on the rear shelf in the "Subwoofer News" thread. It looks like it'll work perfectly.

Now I need to decide on speakers. Crutchfield has some Polk db speakers for buy one get one half off. You can get both their 6.5 and 5.25 pairs for <$150. Not a bad price (for Crutchfield, at least). Whatever I get, I'll definitely use foam baffles as I really think that will make an improvement.

Mact3333: Yeah, Chris Dragon invented the famous Nakamichi Dragon tape deck. Thats the one that flips the tape around in a little enclosure rather than flipping the tape head. Supposedly stays aligned better that way. Anyways, he left Nak and started Soundstream. Back when I sold the stuff, it was pretty much the best.

-Dave

·
Registered
528 Posts
ChrisH said:
I saw a good audio magazine review of some smaller, lesser known speaker companies. One was Directed Audio. I have not yet been able to find a retailer with their speakers up so I could listen to them. The model line I am thinking of is as follows:
Directed Audio Studio Speakers
Directed Audio Studio Mid-Bass

I am considering the S550 (5.25 inch) component set for the fronts, and the 8 inch S800 (3084) shallow mount mid-bass driver for the rear (with some widening of the opening in the rear, of course). The 8 inch drivers are designed with an inverted motor assembly for shallow mounts (only 2.5 inches deep).

Has anyone had a good listening trial of this model line? (Not the lower end, cheaper Directed Audio speakers.) The audio mag showed measured frequency responses of the speakers it was comparing, and the Directed Audio (a.k.a., DEI) had a much flatter response over the frequency range as compared to all the others. (And yes, I know, mounting them in the car will make a big difference, and flat frequency response does not mean linear phase response and good quality sound and imaging. But, short of buying them and trying them in the Elise, what else can I do but research?) The reviewer thought the speakers sounded great over the whole frequency range, reproduced the detail of the music and vocals very well with good imaging.

In my home audio equipment, I have had some very good experiences with lesser known speaker companies who make excellent equipment at more affordable prices than the more well known companies. It just depends on how good their audio engineer is.

Another company I am checking out is CDT Audio.
I was going to pick up a pair of their brand new SX650 coax's, but they didn't come in in time (they're in now). They're very light speakers, thanks to their neodymium magnets (both for the mid-driver and tweeter, instead of just tweeters) and injection molded baskets. Might be a good choice for those wanting good sound, but not wanting to increase the weight of your Elise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
delliott00, I purchased the same subwoofer and have been real happy with it, check out my comments and install photos at the linked thread below. Too bad I missed out on the $20 coupon. I did the install myself and it was pretty easy. I also hooked up an XM radio system. Overall, the audio system is quite "liveable" with good bass and great radio station selections with XM - definitely worth the $10/month.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5455&page=4&pp=20

·
Registered
268 Posts
delliott00 said:
I have an old Soundstream Class A 50-2. Its 25watts. Its 15 years old. I'll put it up against any mass market 200w amp today. It has been moved from car to car and still sounds great. Nothing gives you the audio stage of a good class A amp with some stout discrete power supplies. Its stable down to .25 ohm. I once had 14 drivers on it, probably forcing it to around 500w total. Sounded great, and I won my IASCA class with it twice in my old Rx7. The founder of soundstream (Chris Dragon of Nak fame) gave it to me for selling so much of his stuff for him.

If you can find one on ebay, buy it. They mostly go for $300+. Its also small and light. So, its going in the Elise soon.

-Dave

Check out the ebay auction: $800 for 3 of 'em.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-LOT-OF-SOU...ryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

anyone wanna go in on these with me? 4 days left...

-=cixelsyd

·
Registered
472 Posts
dragon tape deck

Mact3333: Yeah, Chris Dragon invented the famous Nakamichi Dragon tape deck. Thats the one that flips the tape around in a little enclosure rather than flipping the tape head. Supposedly stays aligned better that way. Anyways, he left Nak and started Soundstream. Back when I sold the stuff, it was pretty much the best.

-Dave[/QUOTE]

My dad had an Akai tape deck that flipped the "compact cassette" over. he bought it around 1971, so the flipping tape concept had been around a while before the the dragon.

Mark

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Nakamichi Dragon actually did flip the tape head but it's claim to fame was an automatic azimuth adjustment that made a fixed head less of an issue. The Naks that flipped the tapes over mechanically were the RX-303 and RX-505. I only know this stuff because I just recently bought an RX-505. I remember drooling over the cassette flipping mechanism in college at a local hifi store and thought that this is a great time to buy one. They can be had for a few hundred dollars now when they retailed for over $1500 way back when.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Replacements!

I can't believe with the length of this thread that there was no definitive info on a set of 4 replacement speakers and the stock mounting dimensions. I just removed the stock speakers and found the following:

Front: mounting hole is 4", recess for o/a diameter of is 5 1/5", depth is 2 1/4".

Rear: mounting hole is 4 7/8", recess for o/a diameter is 6 1/2", depth is 2 1/4"

for the front I bought an infinity 4" 2 way with a mounting dia of 3 3/4". perfect fit, even mounted in the original screw holes. all of the 5 1/4" speakers I could find have a 4 1/4" + mounting diameter and might fit but would require a little extra work.

for the rear I bought a 6 1/2" infinity 2 way. this speaker along with all the other 6 1/2" I could find have a mounting dia. of 5", so I had to trim the plastic mounting hole just a bit with a razor knife. Even though the mounting depth was OK, the foam behind the speaker had ro be trimmed a little because the magnet on the new speaker was a larger diameter. So with a little minor trimming I have a 6 1/2 instead of a 5 1/4 that probably would have fit right in.

I have the touring package with the Los Angeles and the results are dramatic! I am not interested in adding amps and changing head units, I just wanted something that I could at least hear. This change was WELL worth a couple hours in the garage and $180.00, I am very satisfied.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts