The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as does everyone else I would like to upgrade my 4 speakers. I have read the posts on upgrades and it seems that they all need to have some extra work to make them fit.
Is there any good 4 speaker combination that will drop right in with no extra labor.
I am not an audio freak and will probably keep stock headunit and just go with 4 kickass speakers and hopefully the stock unit will have enough power for them...dont plan on an amp or sub

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
821 Posts
So as does everyone else I would like to upgrade my 4 speakers. I have read the posts on upgrades and it seems that they all need to have some extra work to make them fit.
Is there any good 4 speaker combination that will drop right in with no extra labor.
I am not an audio freak and will probably keep stock headunit and just go with 4 kickass speakers and hopefully the stock unit will have enough power for them...dont plan on an amp or sub

Thanks for your help
any 4 inch should fit up front. and any 5.25 should fit in back.

depending on depth of speaker there may be some slight foam trimming necessary.

Many here seem to like the Polk speakers. - good and inexpensive

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
search for Polk speakers, I'm pretty happy with mine.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Is it the speakers, amp or deck that makes the audio sound like crap? I had blauplunkt speakers before and they were pretty nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am under the impression that a decent power supply is necessary to have speakers sound "good", meaning in the Watt RMS. IE: You go to Best Buy and buy Logan $5000 floor-standing speakers for the living room, these are unreal speakers, but if you hook them up to a 5x60w Onkyo receiver, instead of a Denon 5x150w receiver you are not giving them the power to play up to their potential. A decent small Alpine 4 channel amp would be fine. Also if you are pulling out the deck anyway, just put in a new one. A decent deck will run you $300-400. Hope this helps. Check out crutchfield.com

-Andrew

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yup you'll most likely need to upgrade the head unit...it's ok but really not up to the job.

I literally just upgraded mine this last weekend to a Alpine CDA 9886 (Just over $240) but also added an AMP (Alpine PDX5) and Sub.

Polk drop right in and I believe Focal do too (I have Focal in the rear ($200 a pair) and Polk ($60 a pair) in the dash).

The Focal's are great, but they are being driven by the external Amp rather than the head unit, so I can't recommend them necessarily on their own.

Lots of folks have posted recommendations on installs, this was how I got to my end system choice...give or take :) Good luck with finding your system!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Is it the speakers, amp or deck that makes the audio sound like crap? I had blauplunkt speakers before and they were pretty nice.
Your system will only sound as good as its weakest link, period. In other words: If your source is crap but you have good power and good speakers, it will sound like crap; if your power is crap but you have a good source and good speakers, it will sound like crap; if your speakers are crap but you have a good source and good power, it will sound like crap.

If you, or anybody else, is looking to upgrade with minimal fuss, I would look for good speakers with good sensitivity (higher dB/W/m) as they will do more with less power. Still, an amp is recommended.

Personally, I was going to change my stuff out; but, my car was too loud and I enjoyed the music it was playing. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts